Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Flint Flint wrote:

So is it sacrilege to wander the hills in this? Add a winch... Toolbox, maybe jerry can carriers? 

Not at all! Use it for the same reason it was built, to get to places others can't. 
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 12:15am
As promised, here are the photos under the radiator.

48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 12:20am
Nice, very nice!. Welcome to the Flat Fender world as well. Run it and have fun. Were it me, I would replace that all metal fuel pump for a glass bowl type if your going over 8000' in the mountains, the metal type is prone to vapor lock.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 12:31am
Welcome to the group and major envy from all of us rust eaters out here on the east coast. I'd be interested to see how that aluminum radiator performs.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 12:32am
Thx Flint for the pics.. I'm working on a alum rad swap on a 3A project and the pics help. Muley..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 12:33am
Thank you.

I may need to replace more than that. I made it one mile from the PO's house and it started smoking while the oil pressure plummeted. I shut it down and had it towed to my new best friends, the local 4x4 shop.  
I entered this with a full expectation that I would be up for some work. We'll see what's up and who knows what's next.  Baptism by fire. Love it!! Tongue
48 CJ2A
14 JKR
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 3:54am

Thank you.

I may need to replace more than that. I made it one mile from the PO's house and it started smoking while the oil pressure plummeted. I shut it down and had it towed to my new best friends, the local 4x4 shop.  
I entered this with a full expectation that I would be up for some work. We'll see what's up and who knows what's next.  Baptism by fire. Love it!! Tongue
You entered this with a FULL expectation of work? With that one? (The smoking part notwithstanding)
I would not have expected much work with that one. You really need to see the "TURDS" most of us started with. You started this out with a really nice one. You missed all the bitchin getting to that point. I hope that your current dilemma works out okay but if it turns into a headache then start the wailing now, we'll listen.😩👍
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 8:43am
We'll see what needs done and take it from there. So many options with this old girl.

48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 1:12pm
Welcome aboard Flint,nice looking jeeps especially your cj2a.Have fun with it.Thumbs Up

Giles
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 1:05am
Congrats on a nice Jeep Flint! You got a jeep that runs and drives! I am a couple of years away from that, wish it was sooner!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 2:34am
Well, somebody's gotta say it.  That's a really, really nice looking Jeep, though it's not, strictly speaking, "restored".  Were it "restored", you couldn't tell the difference between it now and it in '48.  I think it would be considered more a "restomod".  Will that make it easier for you to get it out in the dirt? Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 1:39pm
Thank you for the support. I have dreams of adding lockers, a small winch, roll cage and shoulder harnesses. If it was a true restore I'd not be able to bring myself to trail it up. If the engine is shot I'm considering a small Ford 4 or the V-6 Buick. 

I may change my mind as I learn more but that was the intent when I started searching.
48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2017 at 3:22am
I'd put an overflow tank/bottle on the radiator overflow tube.  Don't just throw away the coolant like that.  That stuff's w-a-a-a-y more expensive than it used to be! Cry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Flint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2017 at 11:05pm
Good idea. Thank you. 

So it looks like the engine is okay. The compression test came back solid. The shop is inspecting everything and so far it's looking great. They said it's in amazing shape. I guess that kills the roll cage idea. :)

Can't bring myself to weld it up when it's solid. Looks like I'll  have to keep the shiny side up.

For now, no changes.
48 CJ2A
14 JKR
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2017 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I'd put an overflow tank/bottle on the radiator overflow tube.  Don't just throw away the coolant like that.  That stuff's w-a-a-a-y more expensive than it used to be! Cry

Both of my Jeeps run a coolant recovery tank. I cant say that they run cooler but it is a lot easier to keep an eye on things.   
uncamonkey
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Flint<br /></div><div>So it looks like the engine is okay. The compression test came back solid. The shop is inspecting everything and so far it's looking great. They said it's in amazing shape. </div>[/QUOTE Flint
So it looks like the engine is okay. The compression test came back solid. The shop is inspecting everything and so far it's looking great. They said it's in amazing shape.
[/QUOTE wrote:

That is great news, I noticed in your list of new parts in the first post, about everything but the motor. It doesn't really stand to reason that the P.O. would take that much time and care
   That is great news, I noticed in your list of new parts in the first post, about everything but the motor. It doesn't really stand to reason that the P.O. would take that much time and care redoing everything and neglect the motor. Good compression says the valves are seating properly and pistons and rings are in good shape. You have a very fine jeep and I know Henry Ford himself would have loved the paint job
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2017 at 1:49pm

Thank you all. Many photos to come. Hopefully no expectation that I know how he did it. Thank you for the link, very helpful. Only thing I notice so far is the need for a parking break. Handle is missing.

So is it sacrilege to wander the hills in this? Add a winch... Toolbox, maybe jerry can carriers? 

As an owner of a 1946 2A, in real nice, mostly original condition, my answer is a resounding YES. However, that is only mmho. To each his own as they say. You have a very nice vehicle. Enjoy it!!

srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I think it would be sacrilege to hide it in a shed and only drive it in parades, bUt that's  just me.

Can i get an AMEN!!! Smile

Welcome - That's a great looking rig.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>