Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Newbie jitters with diagnosis and rebuild of l134
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie jitters with diagnosis and rebuild of l134

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie jitters with diagnosis and rebuild of l134
    Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 10:04pm
Recently acquired a L134 that was said to be running but sat for a bit of time.  When I first received it, I can turn motor by hand and hear some compression.  Decided to pull plugs but two of the four were rusted so bad they broke off.  Used a square easy out and removed rather easy.  Next thing I decided to do is remove head because some of t)3 spark plug rust went into the cylinder.  After a 2 day battle, the head broke free and lifted off.

I cannot see or feel any ridges on top of cylinder but both valves and piston top has carbon.  What should be my next step?  Hoping I can get away with re-gasketing and maybe new rings if needed.  What should I look for?

Edited by Kulpfarm - 28 Aug. 2017 at 2:42am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 10:57pm
Whats your goal a 20K jeep you put put around the yard and the occasional trip to Dairy Queen Or a Daily driver you can put 100K on at Hwy Speeds with proper maintenance?

Cause putting new rings in a cylinder already broken in with other rings will only wear the bore out more while the new rings take a set.

It is always the better option to do everything the first time. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 12:56am
with two very young kids and tight funds, I wanted to make this Jeep a driver and fix it up as I go over time.  Thought I could do minimal engine work to buy time to when I can afford a complete rebuild.  If it's better to wait, then Ill need to wait
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 1:12am
You can clean the carbon up, confirm all the valves are moving andput a new head gasket on and run a compression check. If compression is OK, run it. Find out what other issues you have and prioritize the repairs as money allows. 
Glen
49 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 1:36am
OK so to me it sounds like your best bet is as Red Willy says. Clean up the top of the pistons and valves. Make sure the valves are properly adjusted. Make sure the Head is flat. Put a New head gasket on it and run a compression test. If you have better then 90 psi and a variation no greater then 10% you should already have a decent running engine. Run it until either the Oil pressure drops below acceptable (meaning most likely worn bearings) or the compression drops to the point you are loosing power (80 psi is getting close to the bottom IMHO)

When you go to put on the head do some searching here for recommendations and be sure to have a shop manual (downloadable from the pages manuals page).
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 1:39am
First thing is go over the brakes! Everything else is just icing on the cake!
After getting the motor to run, what shape is your wiring, fuel system like, is the
tank a total rust bucket? Is it six or twelve volt system.
One thing I would do before I got started is remove the body and all the panels.
I did mine the hard way and it sure would have been a lot easier working out the
bugs on the mechanical system without the body on. Hell I'm still working out the bugs.
Good Luck and Welcome aboard.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 2:45am
thanks for all the great advice.  Brakes have all been refresh and in working order.  Tank was in rather good shape cleaned and painted.  I also have a brand new wiring harness from walcks waiting to be installed.

Body requires more work.  Rear floors are shot and currently have thick sheet metal welded in place (will be replaced).  The only other thing at the moment is that I do not have a windshield.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 4:51am
The brakes are good?  Make sure it steers next, then do the head gasket and get it running. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2017 at 12:09am
I made a decision to move towards a complete rebuild.  Since I have time, how can I break this engine rebuild into affordable parts.  Do I break it done completely and start with the bare block at machine shop to clean and check?  
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2017 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Kulpfarm Kulpfarm wrote:

Do I break it done completely and start with the bare block at machine shop to clean and check?  

That is what I did. Take pictures and keep everything labeled, where it came out of and which direction.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2017 at 3:34am
X2!

Take lots & lots of pictures. When you feel that you have more than enough, take even more. These days with digital photos, taking tons of pictures does not cost much. Just time. Spend the time, it will save you much more time in the end, when it comes time to reassemble the engine.

Try to get at least three of each fitting, +/or bracket, before removing it, all from different angles. Six would be better, take some from different distances. After you remove anything, take at least three pictures of what it was covering. Also take pictures of what was removed as well. Be sure to get the side that was hidden by the block, or what ever it was attached to. There is no such thing as too many pictures. AMHIK.

Oh, Be sure to keep at least two copies of each photo. Keep them on different devices. Again, AMHIK!

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Edited by cpt logger - 24 Aug. 2017 at 3:46am
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2017 at 11:43am

with two very young kids and tight funds, I wanted to make this Jeep a driver and fix it up as I go over time.  
                     If that where my situation I would try a clean-up first, the part about no ridge is a good sign. It's possible cleaned up pistons, honed cylinders, new rings(I've used oversize rings just check ring gap), lap valves, check rod and crank bearings, pray nothing major out of order there, this might give satisfactory results, at a fraction of the cost. IMHO Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 5:13pm
Looking over this whole tread, I would like to say a few things. First, I rebuilt aircraft engines for a living for over 30 years. During that time, I rebuilt automobile, semi, & farm tractor engines as a hobby, so I have a small clue as to what will work & what will not.

I need a few questions answered before I can give you advise on this engine. Bar the lots of pictures advice, that will always be my advice.

1. Why are you looking at a rebuild? Just because it seems the best to have a fresh rebuild going forward?

2. Did you do a compression test before you pulled the head? If so, what were the readings? Dry & with oil squirted in the cylinders? If not, I assume it is because you were concerned about any damage the rust from the spark plugs would cause.

3. What do the cylinder walls look like? If rusty how bad? Surface rust with no pitting, or does the surface on the cylinders have craters in it?

4.What does the old oil look & feel like? Is it white & foamy, black & gritty, or is it green & clean?

5. Are the valves in adjustment? If so, it is more likely a fresh rebuild. At least we can guess the PO was concerned about proper maintenance.

6. What are your plans for this Jeep? Will it be a Daily Driver (DD), or a parade queen, or a twice a month ice-cream rig? Do you plan to wheel it? If so how much?

7. Last but certainly not least, How much cash & time do you have to throw at this engine?

Let me observe that a light coating of carbon on the valves & pistons is quite normal & not a reason for concern. A thick, heavy, coating is another matter.  

Mark has given some good advice. Hopefully, he will allow me to misquote him. Bolding mine.
"It is always the better option to do everything right the first time."

Please get back to us with the answers to these questions. It would help if you knew the history of this engine, but I get the impression that you do not know it. Is that true?

I hope to help, Cpt Logger. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

with two very young kids and tight funds, I wanted to make this Jeep a driver and fix it up as I go over time.  
                     If that where my situation I would try a clean-up first, the part about no ridge is a good sign. It's possible cleaned up pistons, honed cylinders, new rings(I've used oversize rings just check ring gap), lap valves, check rod and crank bearings, pray nothing major out of order there, this might give satisfactory results, at a fraction of the cost. IMHO Joe

I agree that no ridge is a good sign. Yes, perhaps a good cleaning is all that is in order. Perhaps. We need to know more before we can give good advice in this area. See my other post.

The use of oversized rings is a stop-gap measure & they are to be used only on worn cylinders that are out of service limits. If the cylinders are straight & within tolerances, oversized rings will wear the cylinder walls much quicker. Use the proper rings on cylinders that are in tolerance, including service limits.

IMHO, If you are going to spend the time & money to install oversized rings, it is best to just have the cylinders bored the next size bigger.

OTOH, I have had success using over sized rings on a rig that was past the maximum limit & was at the maximum bore as well. Sleeving is the best answer to this issue, but we flat did not have the time for that. It did not last as long as a proper boring of the cylinders would have, but it got the job done on time. Note, this was non aircraft.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 11:23pm
1. Why are you looking at a rebuild? Just because it seems the best to have a fresh rebuild going forward? 
Don't really want to rebuild but if that is proper way to go then I will follow.  Engine is out.
2. Did you do a compression test before you pulled the head? If so, what were the readings? Dry & with oil squirted in the cylinders? If not, I assume it is because you were concerned about any damage the rust from the spark plugs would cause.
No compression check.  Spark plugs disintegrant and other debris fell in.  Have an extra head gasket and could put the head back onto perform compression test.
3. What do the cylinder walls look like? If rusty how bad? Surface rust with no pitting, or does the surface on the cylinders have craters in it?
No pitting or craters I can feel or see.  Marks a just dicolored areas.  Looks like a slight ridge on top but not as pronounce as pictures look.
4.What does the old oil look & feel like? Is it white & foamy, black & gritty, or is it green & clean?
Oil is jet black but not gritty.
5. Are the valves in adjustment? If so, it is more likely a fresh rebuild. At least we can guess the PO was concerned about proper maintenance. 
Have not check valve adjustment since I took a quick peek after removing.  I do have one valve in question is in on  picture attached to post.  Was planning on lapping valves.
6. What are your plans for this Jeep? Will it be a Daily Driver (DD), or a parade queen, or a twice a month ice-cream rig? Do you plan to wheel it? If so how much?
Initial is to get it up and running and work on it as I go.  Once funds are in order then would love to go back and do more in detail. More like 2x/month
7. Last but certainly not least, How much cash & time do you have to throw at this engine?
Time with a 4 month old and 2.5yr old is limited.  Same as cash putting two in daycare.  Once one goes to full time school, that frees up good amount of cash ($900/month).

I didn't completely clean before photos were taken.  Deck is smooth with no visible cracks.  Piston still have carbon on it

Edited by Kulpfarm - 26 Aug. 2017 at 3:44am
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 12:45am
more 
Kulpfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kulpfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 12:49am
more

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 2:45am
In your third picture, the one with the two valves, Is that a crack I see going from the exhaust valve toward the head bolt hole near the edge of the block? Or is that an optical illusion? That is the front cylinder isn't it?

The intake valve next to that exhaust looks like it is severely pitted. Is it? Or is that just serious carbon build up? If it is carbon build up, it needs to be removed & the valve inspected. If it is that severely pitted, You may want to replace it. A good clean up of the carbon is in order here.

Are the seats that these valves rest on when closed in good shape? They look to be in very bad shape from the pictures. They look both pitted & eroded.

Eventually it would be nice to pull a rod & look at its bearings, but for now lets just look at the valves, their seats, & the pistons.

I have to go to bed soon as I have to be at work early tomorrow. So for now that is all the questions I have.

Thanks, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>