Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newgren Lift info, drawings etc req:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newgren Lift info, drawings etc req:
    Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 7:38am
Hi all, it look like I have nearly brought a Newgren Lift from another page member, (payment pending as soon as the house manager releases the funds!), this week she tells me Kev.

Anyway, I would like to collect as much information as I can about them and ideally be able to tap into anyone out there who has restored one as I intend to do.

It will arrive here via a slow boat, so no hurry at all but ideally I'd like drawings off as many original parts as possible so I can reproduce them.

I have found some information, but you can't have too much.

The hitch will go on to 14605 and will be used to operate seeders, mowers and I might even make myself a small post driver for it.

If anyone can help please put it up on the page, its information others might want so no use hiding it in a PM.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:40pm

Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Hi all, it look like I have nearly brought a Newgren Lift from another page member, (payment pending as soon as the house manager releases the funds!), this week she tells me Kev.

Anyway, I would like to collect as much information as I can about them and ideally be able to tap into anyone out there who has restored one as I intend to do.

It will arrive here via a slow boat, so no hurry at all but ideally I'd like drawings off as many original parts as possible so I can reproduce them.

I have found some information, but you can't have too much.

The hitch will go on to 14605 and will be used to operate seeders, mowers and I might even make myself a small post driver for it.

If anyone can help please put it up on the page, its information others might want so no use hiding it in a PM.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Adrian,
Glad to hear that another Newgren Lift is going back to work.  I have been searching for information for many years and I am still finding/learning things.  There are some very knowledgeable folks on this board and I hope you get a number of responses.

Over at FarmJeep.com we get a number of requests for helping in restoring lifts.  Evan and I just wrote a post on the subject - http://farmjeep.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-things-we-have-learned-newgren.html    I'm not sure it will be of much help, but do hope that it gives you some ideas about how to move forward.

I would love to find a drawing of the the valve.  And I look forward to hearing about and seeing your progress.

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 6:29pm
Barry, thanks very much for the link. Once the lift arrives here then I will figure out exactly what I have brought.

I can fabricate and machine up any part, its just a case of knowing dimensions etc.

Re: the pump and drive, still thinking about that. I'd like to go as close as possible to original but to be honest a crank driven pump that's driving all the time does not make sense, I may put a small dog clutch in or look at a Hy-Lo pump.

I will print off your story about them and add it to my files.

Thanks again
Adrian
NZ
1973 Saab 96
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 3:39pm
The diagram at the link is really helpful. Me, not knowing much about hydraulics, put a system together like yours, without a valve. It has blown the seals in my pump as well. This winter I will need to remake this a bit to keep it from dong that.I have since put a vent in the top of the reservoir but need to put a relief valve into the system. My cylinder is not original and does not seem to have a vent.

The original Newgren valve is not much to write home about. It's pretty cheap and clearly was not meant to be used 70 years later! Mine is in an early one with no seals and the linkage from the valve to the control lever is pretty bad as well. It does all work, but not as good as I'd like.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 3:41pm
Also, I have a 6 volt (I think) hy lo pump that I'm considering using for my next farm jeep project. I have a complete monroe setup, which to me is generally a sturdier setup and has a much more robust valve.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

The diagram at the link is really helpful. Me, not knowing much about hydraulics, put a system together like yours, without a valve. It has blown the seals in my pump as well. This winter I will need to remake this a bit to keep it from dong that.I have since put a vent in the top of the reservoir but need to put a relief valve into the system. My cylinder is not original and does not seem to have a vent.

The original Newgren valve is not much to write home about. It's pretty cheap and clearly was not meant to be used 70 years later! Mine is in an early one with no seals and the linkage from the valve to the control lever is pretty bad as well. It does all work, but not as good as I'd like.

Many single action cylinders have a very small hole in the case that allows air in/out.  Many modern cylinders are designed for 2-way operation, but can be converted to one-way by placing a breather cap in the lower port.

I also used this Northern Tool relief valve and dump the  relief side into the top of the reservoir.

I spent a great deal of time trying to fit an available control valve behind the reservoir so I could continue to use the Newgren control linkage.  I gave up, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

Barry

lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

Also, I have a 6 volt (I think) hy lo pump that I'm considering using for my next farm jeep project. I have a complete monroe setup, which to me is generally a sturdier setup and has a much more robust valve.

I'm about to begin a body swap on my 2a with the idea of using a Monroe lift for daily work around here.  I have a NOS Monroe minus the valve/reservoir.  I have a crankshaft pulley mount, but would need a new pump.  I'm also thinking of going electric.  The Monroe is a better working hitch than the Newgren, but I'll miss the free bed.

Barry
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2017 at 8:16am
Re: The bed, that's why I wanted a Newgren. I use the bed for tools, a dog! and quite often have the rear seat in place as well.

The Monro is a quality bit of gear, but the Newgren will suit my Column shift nicely, an old hitch and matching Jeep.

Just brought a Hy-Lo, thanks Seth.

1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply