Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

newly purchased 46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahntjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newly purchased 46 CJ2A
    Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 2:18am
Just purchased a 1946 CJ2A with my father; serial number 40399, Normandy blue with front PTO. Appears in great shape though I haven't seen it (I'm in Alaska, Jeep's in Wyoming). It's only had 2 owners, the guy we bought it from had had it since 1974. Mileage listed at 13834; unsure how accurate that is. Previous owner has rebuilt the engine, used it for cruising around the back country in Colorado Rockies.
I'm confused at the 1 piece windshield. I know the previous owner installed motorized windshield wipers. I'm assuming they replaced the whole windshield...
And they moved the spare tire to the rear end. Hoping this will be easy to move back.
I'm very excited to start this project with my Dad, he's always wanted a Willys. I'm hoping we can restore it to original. I'd love to find out more about it's history prior to 1974. Any advice welcome
46 CJ2a
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 2:24am
Congrats on the 46 2A.  That's awesome that you are going into a project with your dad.
Looks like a good candidate.  Nice front winch and chaff screen!
My guess is the previous owner had a problem with the tilt windshield and took it out and put in a full glass.  Perhaps it broke somehow and this was their fix for it.
From the pics it looks like the body is in great shape.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 3:53am
Leverlocks! Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 4:00am
I don't think Normandy blue fades to that shade.  It looks to have been repainted.  The jerry can looks more like Normandy blue than the body.  That's far from the first 2A windshield that's been one-pieced.  Looks like a decently done job.  Bubba has had his way with the frame at the front, but we've all seen worse.  PO must have not wanted to put the windshield down; he preferred to tie something down on the hood instead.  Looks pretty good, overall.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
bahntjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahntjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 5:47am
I thought it looked rather light to be Normandy blue myself. My dad said there's some places it looks real dark and he doesn't see any other paint underneath where it's chipped. Normandy blue was the only blue available in 46 correct? 
46 CJ2a
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 2:49pm
On the front page of thecj2apage.com there is a link to this paint chip chart that shows the colors and years.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 4:10pm
bet the deck cleats are for tying down a big muley buck!!  Won't work for a Huge AK moose though! Great looking jeep for sure! love the PTO ramsey!

Edited by jeeper50 - 11 Sep. 2017 at 4:12pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 5:44pm
It's not the original speedometer so the mileage is moot
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 6:39pm
Nice find and enjoy the time with your dad on this project. looks like you have a great starting point. I can't see light through the floor boards and looks pretty complete.Thumbs Up
Phil
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2017 at 1:59am
OMG what a great vehicle to start with. I'd be in heaven to have this and my Dad working on the project. Good luck and enjoy the journey....
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 4:32am
Nice Jeep to start the hobby with.  Please keep us posted on your progress.
1947 CJ2a #155307
 Post Reply Post Reply