Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017 - Event Date: 19 July 2017 - 23 July 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1943 ford gpw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 1:25am
Hey Bruce!! It sure has been a while since I've been back to Colorado, sure have missed it and miss jeeping around the country side with you folks, hopefully you all still remember me LOL... I keep an eye on the form and see yours and Mikes tours every year and brings a smile remembering the fun I had with you all. Anyway the good Lord willing I plan to attend this year. I will keep you posted as the time gets closer. Man it sure has been a long time since I've got my jeeps out. I'm sure there itching for an adventure like I am!! 
1941 Dodge wc12
1942 script gpw
1942 gpw/mb
1942 mb
1945 Ford GPW
1951 Navy m38
1951 m38
1952 M38a1
1954 m38a1
1962 M151
1962 dodge m43
1964 m416

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 4:04am
Joshua, it surely would be an honor to have you there. We have missed you, for sure.

Katie, I've got plenty of targets, but if others bring some, I won't have to haul a pickup load of them.
How many have muzzleloaders or black powder cartridge rifles? We might limit our shooting to .22's and them. If we do it, we will definitely have some rules that will be strictly enforced. I know, I hate rules as much as anybody, but this is serious business. And the more people we have, the harder it will be to keep things in line. I've got to study on this, I'm not saying now that we will shoot.

There are more than one way to get there, for sure. One could take the paved road (74E) to Red Feather, then the Deadman Road (86) all the way to near where 103 and 80C meet, then back to camp on 80C. Or the Deadman Road to the Pearl Beaver Road (169) then up to 80C, the way we returned to camp from Red Feather last year. The Deadman Road gets a lot of use and is usually rough and dusty, and it's twisty in places as well. Shocked I'll tell ya what let's do - We'll meet at Ted's Place, and all leave there at the same time. Tom can go up the Poudre Canyon to Chambers, etc, the rest of us will go North. Katie will turn off at the Forks Hotel and go to Red Feather and the Deadman Road. I'll take the old way up 80C, and Tiny can go to Tie Siding and in that way. No hurrying, this is not a race, but we'll see which way is quicker. LOLBig smileWinkClap  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 7:12pm
Bruce, I agree that we need to explore all the ways to get from Ft. Collins to our new campsite.  It would be great to have a same-day comparison of the time and conditions along each path.  What a great idea you had!  I like it. 

And yup we need to think into how we set up and operate a gun range.  We sure don't want any accidents.  What do you think about putting together a "range committee" to help with rules and set up so you don't have to carry the whole thing?  You're the Top Boss for this event so we'll support you any way you're comfortable. 

I'd like to maybe bring my 50 cal Hawken black powder, maybe a 223, maybe a 22 rifle, maybe a couple pistols and/or revolvers.  Maybe I could add my wrist rocket sling shot, or a Trebouche' with a bucket of golf balls. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 7:51pm
But .... will we be safe from timber tigers and jackalopes?
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 12:32am
Ear plugs, eye protection and no one down range from the firing line. After that I think bring your own target, make sure of back stop. Then-----------possibly a little competition on one of those moving re-usable targets. I think some sharing of a type of firearm that one owns the others haven't ever fired would be good. Ever fire a sharps 45-120 with 105 grains of black powder and a 520 grain slug? 500 S&W? Antique 45-90 Winchester with black powder? All are fun. Maybe a 45-70 Long Tom. It's living history folks. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 1:46am
MA DEUCE??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 2:57am
If you are going out shooting, have somebody like a range officer. I seem to be that person. If it is quiet, I will pop off a few then sit and watch the show. When they are done, I finish off the targets with my old Marlin.22.
People seem to want me to bring my M 14 out when we shoot. It's an accurized. Marine match gun.
If I really want to hit something, .25/06.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 3:03am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

MA DEUCE??

I WISH!!  I'd settle for a BAR, though!

Mike, that sounds like a good idea. I hate to ask you, since you go above and beyond for this group so often already, that's why I'm making you Committee Chairman, so you can delegate the work and not have to do it all yourself. OK? Your committee members are Oilly, Katie, and RickG, maybe Rick_G, and whoever else you want, if they agree.
  I had a thought - it happens now and then - maybe it would be neat to limit the firearms to whatever was available when our jeeps were new, or nearly so, or replicas or reproductions of those firearms. Say maybe a cut-off date of 1955 or so. This would eliminate the AR's and the Glocks, and a few others that might be the only thing that someone might have, and that's not my aim. Comments? Call this a suggestion, and I'll leave it up to the committee. We need comments from everyone who has an interest, yay or nay.
  Another thing - We might better make sure the Forest Service will allow us to shoot targets there. This might be something that someone with ties to the FS could look into for us.Wink Just to be sure.
  I have a lot of black powder targets, most of them could be used for .22's and pistols, and I have a couple that may stand up to modern rifles at long distances.
  I'll turn this over to the committee now, I've got trail rides to plan!   BW

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 3:48am
I suppose my M14 is too new, My Garrand is in the proper time frame. Pre '48 30/30?,30/06? Remington .22, 1938?
I'm just joking with you. I probably won't be there as I can barely walk and the Jeep is missing on 1 cylinder.
uncamonkey
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 4:40am
I am new to shooting and have a 9mm pistol. I would live to get some target time in, but if it doesn't fit the plan that's ok too.
Glen
49 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

I am new to shooting and have a 9mm pistol. I would live to get some target time in, but if it doesn't fit the plan that's ok too.
See there - that's the kind of feedback I was looking for - how could we say no? Smile  BW

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 5:29am
I am not against shooting and have burned a little powder in my day, but I'm coming to Colorado for the jeepin' and the yackin'

A few years back,in a very dry summer, the National Guard started one of the bigger fires in our area shooting at targets at their range.

As I said, not against it, but if the choice is jeeping or shooting, it's no choice at all for me.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 11:43am
Leaving guns unattended is another bad idea. Maybe this is not the best idea with that in thought. One you carry with you maybe. Colorado used to NOT honor SD concealed carry. If you have a out of state permit, do they now? I'll try and find out. Oilly

if you Google CCW Reciprocity Map, enter your state, it immediately shows what states honor your state's permit. Interesting how the states look alot like the blue/red election results. 

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 02 Mar. 2017 at 11:58am
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 1:31pm
I'm in agreement with Stan about Jeeping and shooting, also with John about leaving the guns unattended while Jeeping. My gun safe is a little too heavy to load, and haul.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 6:55pm
Bruce, I'll take on the challenge of working with the committee to create a safe opportunity for some of us to enjoy some target practice with our guns.  First I'll check with the FS to make sure it's allowed for us to shoot in this area.  I know some places are closed to shooting, and some forests restrict shooting to only designated areas.  I'll check it out.

If we can shoot, I would like to see a few things on our range.  Layout.  I'd like to have either a loooong clear area, or a solid dirt bank as our backstop downrange.  I'd like to have two separate ranges, probably parallel, one for rifles and one for pistols.  Rifle range would be about 100 yards.  Pistol range would be 10 yards or less.  I'd like to have two safety officers, one at each range, to watch how firearms are handled and to keep us all safe.  They would also have ear and eye protection for shooters who don't have their own.  I would like to have steel targets downrange so no one would have to go downrange to change paper targets.  I'd like to have a table and chair at each range for those who want a steadier rest when they shoot. 

I would envision doing this for one or two afternoons during our stay.  I like Bruce's idea about using the older weapons, but for those of us with only one or two guns, bring what you have.  Especially if your opportunity to practice with it is very limited.  This could be a great chance to get some practice time in, and some free advice on how to improve your skills.  For those of us with many guns, for this time, let's focus on the old guns, say 1950's and earlier.  Don't forget lots of ammo if you are willing to share the shooting time with your gun. 

I checked with USCCA for concealed carry reciprocity and Colorado accepts concealed carry cards from all the states around it, including SD.  Here's the site:
 https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

For firearm security, generally having it locked in a vehicle out of sight will protect it.  But for those who would prefer a bit more security I will offer to secure the firearms inside my carhauler, and lock them to a cable or chain within the trailer.  This will keep them out of sight for any casual observer, and under double lock when we are gone from the site.

I welcome any comments from anyone who would like to shoot.

Edited by m38mike - 02 Mar. 2017 at 8:19pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 7:13pm
Mike, I am new at all this. It seems there isn't much reciprocity for IL concealed carry. I assume this means I can still posses and shoot my weapon in designated areas but it must be transported in a unloaded / broke down condition?
Glen
49 CJ3A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 7:45pm
Glen, you are correct.  When you transport your pistol, have it in a case in the vehicle where you cannot easily get to it.  Make sure it is unloaded.  Keep the ammo in a box and away from you.  If you follow Illinois law, you will have no problems with the states between IL and CO. 

A concealed carry permit allows you to carry a pistol or revolver loaded and within reach of you while in the vehicle.  Most states allow unloaded transport without a permit if the gun is not within reach of the driver or passengers.  NY and NJ have even more stringent requirements.  But we're not going there.   Colorado does NOT allow you to transport a long gun with a round in the chamber.  Rule of thumb here is not to have any ammo in your rifle or shotgun while in transit.  This is true even if you have a concealed carry permit/license.  Those only apply to handguns. 

Here are the rules for the National Forest:
Federal Rules

According to the Code of Federal Regulations (title 36), recreational shooting can take place on the National Forests and Grasslands under these conditions:

1. You are at least 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.
  2. You are not shooting across or on a National Forest System Road or an adjacent body of water.
  3. You are not shooting into or within a cave.
  4. You are not shooting in any manner or place where any person, property or resource is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
  5. You are not firing any tracer bullet or incendiary ammunition.

Regional and Local Restrictions

For safety reasons areas have been closed to discharging a firearm. Learn & follow all regional and local Shooting Restrictions & Area Closures

Targets and Alcohol

On the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland :

• You may only shoot targets that are:
    • cardboard,
    • paper,
    • self-healing,
    • manufactured metallic  (metal targets specifically designed for firearms),
    • or manufactured thrown-type clay (clay pigeons)
  • Wooden backing on targets is not allowed
  • You may not possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while discharging a firearm.  See Shooting Restrictions & Area Closures for details.
  • You may not use an explosive, including exploding targets. See Shooting Restrictions & Area Closures for details.

I checked the online map for the Canyon Lakes District and there are no closures for shooting within 30 miles of our campsite.  But like it says in rule number one above, we need to be at least 150 yards away from OUR campsite.  And I would want to be away so those who don't want to shoot are not feeling like they're in a combat zone with all the gunfire.

Edited by m38mike - 02 Mar. 2017 at 8:04pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 8:18pm
Thanks Mike, I have my CC for IL and you just reconfirmed what was taught in class. 
Glen
49 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>