Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nos parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nos parts
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 12:27am
Just received my parts from walks. Package date 1952. Like the day they were packaged. Awesome
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 3:50am
That's a package for a military jeep part, isn't it?  Amazing that stuff's still available 65 years after manufacture.  Too cool!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 6:10am
those are the plates that hold the bearing races in a dana 41.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 8:33am
Always good to find NOS parts. Mile Hi Jeep in Denver had shelves of NOS parts.
uncamonkey
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 3:44pm
The contract administrator for the Army didn't research the demand for that particular part very well. They probably let the contract to Sine Tool & Engr. Co. for ten thousand sets at so many dollars a set. Fifteen years later when all the M-38's were out of the inventory and they had used a couple of hundred of the sets for service requirements they sold the whole lot to someone for cents on the dollar at a surplus sale. Your tax dollars at work...

If you think times have changed, think again. They are still buying, storing, using a few, and selling the rest at bargain basement prices...

...on thousands of pieces of equipment. Kind of depressing if you give it much thought...

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 4:33pm
I know. But just love the way they preserved stuff that long ago and it worked. The old newspaper they used as packing had cigarette ads and a Fred Mac Murrey commercial in it from 52 also. Just kinda neat.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 5:44pm
For first half of my career in the Navy, I was on leftover WW2 ships to the point that I got to know the engineering of that period quite well.  There I'd be in the mid 80s and opening parts boxes that were sealed up in the early 1940s.  The Navy really got their money's worth out of some of those old ships.   

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Nobodyjeff5888 Nobodyjeff5888 wrote:

I know. But just love the way they preserved stuff that long ago and it worked. The old newspaper they used as packing had cigarette ads and a Fred Mac Murrey commercial in it from 52 also. Just kinda neat.
The packaging requirements for MILSPEC packaging haven't changed much. Since the military must operate and use equipment in all kinds of climates, the parts and supplies must be able to work in all kinds of environments.

As a former military contractor in my earlier days I can tell you that the inspection, packaging, preservation, labeling requirements sometimes exceeded the cost of the part itself.

As a young soldier in Vietnam, I can attest to the fact that on occasion we were using ammunition and C-rations packaged during or just after the Korean War. The ammunition worked and we were reasonably well fed while in the field.

The packaging served its purpose and the packaging used today still works...

...just part of the cost of keeping this nation free...

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 6:53am
So true
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 3:31pm
NOS parts can be fun and interesting but sometimes it pays to be a little careful. A while back I was dealing with an antique restoration company for a rebuilt distributor and while I was on the phone with them it occurred to me that I might as well get a new set of points and a condenser to go along with the distributor. No problem, they assured me, we'll throw in a set. And they did - I now own a made in America set of points and condenser, in what's left of their original boxes, and they only added $72.00 to the bill - Like my Grand daughter would say - Who Knew?
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 1:48am
wow. One man's junk is another man's treasure 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 3:19am
I would think that a rebuilt distributor would come with new points and condenser installed and adjusted, at no extra cost. 
JMO.   B2
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 5:16am
Well, there you go again, expecting reasonable behavior from someone not yourself... Wacko
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 4:38pm
You know what they say "there's no free lunch"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 10:20pm
What's next, a rebuilt carburetor with no accelerator pump?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

What's next, a rebuilt carburetor with no accelerator pump?  BW

No throttle arms either.  Just use your old one.  (I've actually had to do that)

oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 6:17pm
I'm sorry all - I don't get back to the forum as much as I used to and I could have saved us some verbage if I had correctly written a spare set of points and a condenser. The dist. WAS ready to go and is still doing a good job. I'll be more precise going forward (or backward
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
 Post Reply Post Reply