Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Nother Diesel Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Nother Diesel Build Thread
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:02am
There are a number of really incredible stories on this page of well done diesel conversions.  I thought I might humbly add mine to the mix.  It won't be nearly as nice or well executed as those who have gone before, but hopefully some one can get something useful out of it.

The story actually starts several years ago.  I couldn't pass up an ad I saw in a local trade paper (yes, long before Craigslist!).  The ad was for a '56 DJ3A for $150 and he would deliver.  It was quite the winner.  Everything was badly rusted, even the grill was rusted out! It had sat under a pile of lumber and was discovered by the owner's grandson when they went to tear down the barn.

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:17am
The above picture was taken the day it arrived.  The drivetrain had been swapped out and it had been converted to 4x4.  The front axle was actually a GPW script axle manufactured in 1943.  It was also the reason, I suspect, that the Jeep ended up hibernating under the lumber - the spider gears were shattered and littered the bottom of the pumpkin.

Originally, the enthusiasm was good and things got done.  I parted out all the unique DJ3A pieces,  gathered up a '74 CJ5 to donate some axles and went to town on the frame.  I welded up the bad spots, boxed the sides of the frame and did a shackle reverse (hey, this was a long time ago!)

A quick note to the purists, I appreciate history as much as any one.  I did a very thorough resto to a '46 CJ2A - getting a ton of info from this site.  It turned out really well, but I couldn't bear the thought of risking that much work and that much history by actually driving it.  Car shows and lawn chairs just didn't hold my interest.

Back to the Jeep.  Well life (and a '48 2A, a '79 CJ7 and '12 JK) got in the way.  Finally time to start back on this guy, but many years have gone by.  The two kids in the back of the Jeep both have their doctorates now and have moved away.  
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:32am
The original plan was a Chevy 4.3 V6, Turbo 350 and Dana 300 transfercase.  Like I mentioned earlier, the axles were to come from a CJ5.  I found a CJ3A tub that wasn't too bad.  Now several moons later my buddies have talked me into beefier axles.  The axles in the picture are a Dana 44 rear from an Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport and Dana 44 front from a '76 full size Cherokee.  Both have regeared to 4.11 and a Yukon Zip Locker installed (Seems well made, but they need a much better set of install instructions for me). 
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:38am
To fit the wider Waggy front axle, I had to ouboard the springs.  So I cut off the brackets I welded on some years earlier to fit the 2 1/2" wide YJ springs.  I also elected to ditch the "Goofy Leaf" set up I was going to use on the front.  This set up consisted of 1/4 of a main leaf spring attached to the frame and a full leaf under it.  This would allow the full leaf spring set to droop down and then pull the 1/4 away from the frame, giving you even more flex.  Have not seen one in years and there must be a reason!

Edited by bobevans - 18 Feb. 2018 at 3:59am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 4:15am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

To fit the wider Waggy front axle, I had to ouboard the springs.  So I cut off the brackets I welded on some years earlier to fit the 2 1/2" wide YJ springs.  I also elected to ditch the "Goofy Leaf set up was going to use on the front.  This set up consisted of 1/4 of a main leaf spring attached to the frame and a full leaf under it.  This would allow the full leaf spring set to droop down and then pull the 1/4 away from the frame, giving you even more flex.  Have seen one in years and there must be a reason!

I’m very curious because I’m trying to optimize my spring situation, do you have pictures of the setup?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 7:44am

Rick, here's a pic of the rear hanger on Frankie.....zoom on the shackle.

The 'Goofy Leaf' was (I guess '80s-early 90s) rock crawler tech.

Theory was the leaf mounted to the frame would pull away from the frame when in a crossedup situation thereby increasing droop.(and travel)

This one I used an old monoleaf spring from a Jeepster so it is alot stiffer than you would want for this purpose. I did it mainly because it was an easier way to hang the springs on my custom frame setup.

Drawback to it was the on road characteristics.....my stiffer setup doesn't feel wishy washy but it also doesn't pull away from the frame much either (not an issue with the way Frankie ended up being used)
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 5:02pm
interesting...but not for me.  I think I’ll stick to something simple. Wink

My Videos
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 4:05am
Roc has a great description of the Goofy Leaf.  I kept the set up on the rear and you can kinda see it the one pic.  I will likely eliminate it as I get further along.  It is said that the rear springs can unload - think going down a steep hill head first and then the rear of the Jeep lets go and gets to the bottom of the hill before the front.

I wanted to do a u-bolt flip, so I found a pair of spring plates from an old Dodge at the salvage yard.  I cut off the shock mounts (I wanted the shocks mounted as low as possible to get the longest shock absorber).  The "keeper"plate on the bottom of the spring pack is just a little chunk of leaf spring with stops(old bolts) welded to it to keep the square u-bolts from sliding around.  I also welded a chunk of the u-bolt that I cut off to this plate for a shock mount.  I've heard that spring steel doesn't weld well, so we may be revisiting this plate at a later date.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 4:05am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 4:08am
If you look closely at the rear hanger, it is still set up "Goofy Leaf" for now .. This provided a cheap shackle hanger and allowed me to extend the wheel base back a couple of inches.  At this point, the axle is just resting on the brackets.  I cut the brackets off of this axle because they were set way too wide - the Isuzu Rodeo has a much wider frame.  I was able to get the brackets off in pretty good shape.  Once I get the angle of the rear axle figured out, I'll tack the brackets in place, remove the axle and have some one that really knows how to weld  go ahead and weld the brackets to the axle tube.   - edit - sorry, you can NOT see the goofy leaf in this pic, I'll get a better pic next weekend.

Edited by bobevans - 17 Jan. 2018 at 4:17am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 3:54pm
What kind of diesel are you planning? Kubota? Mercedes? Duramax???LOL
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 1:27am
Larry, like yours.  It seems like there is a ton of good support for the V2203.  I want to get the axles mounted and my drivetrain hoisted into place first, then I'll call maybe SP Machining to get motor mounts and adapters to the TH 350.  That is unless you have other recommendations!
My older son and I used to keep our old Kubota diesel running on bio-diesel we made from the cooking oil from the local Chinese restaurant. 
QUOTE=Lemield] What kind of diesel are you planning? Kubota? Mercedes? Duramax???LOL[/QUOTE]

Edited by bobevans - 18 Jan. 2018 at 1:32am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Sammamishcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 7:09am
I can’t wait to see more. 
1947 CJ2A
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 2:54am
Nice and warm in the garage today, so I got a better pic of the Goofy Leaf set up.  Also got me some store bought shackles. The two bolts you see going through the frame are sleeved and have plates top and bottom.  They hold the back end of the goofy leaf to the frame.  I plan on keeping a pin in the bracket under the frame to hold them in place most of the time, pulling the pin only for certain spots.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 3:01am
My first big "Oh Shoot" moment.  I went to bolt up the steering box to the frame and it is way too far back.  The Pittman shaft is directly over the drag link.  I put quite a bit of effort in this years ago.  I had hoped to use the original Jeep YJ steering box mount plate, so I put a piece of 3/4" steel bar, drilled and tapped for the lower bolts on the plate.  I welded it into the frame and then boxed the frame.  Anybody got any elegant solutions?  Different configuration steering gear?  A different bracket?

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 3:05am
Some perspective - the old frame ends right where the cross-member is - it is right where the front bumper used to be.  I added the extensions and front bumper to increase the wheel base a little and give me some place to mount a winch.  The front bumper also will serve as storage tank for the on-board air.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 3:07am

Little different angle.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 5:12am
Bob, it looks like your box is at a rather acute angle, i.e., tilted too far nose down. Your farthest forward mounting bolt on the steering box should be more in line (level) with the back mounting bolt.  I’ve seen a lot of those aftermarket mounting brackets attached with the bolts attached flat across the top of the frame with sleeves welded to the frame.  Repositioning  the box will probably help your problem.

Here’s a pic of mine.  

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>