Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Odd cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd cj2a
    Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:01pm
Hello To everybody I am looking for help with data tags and serial numbers on my Jeep which I have just purchased

Firstly it was imported over the pond to England back in 2006 and listed as a 1946 CJ2A with a body data tag with 65489 stamped on it however the body also has numbers stamped on it in a few places. One number is stamped on the front scuttle to the right side of the hood hinge in the water run off channel looking from the front which is 74575 and the last three of this number is repeated on the floor plates the brake cylinder access plate and plates on the firewall .there is another number on the tailgate which is 56042 now the odd bit this body has the handbrake to the left of the steering wheel an m38 type dash plate a hole where the 3 way light switch will fit and a small tool box on the right of the dash it has tool indents on the right side but no battery box on the scuttle. The rear lights would have been sunk in . And a large fuel tank filler hole.on the body .

The chassis does not have a number as the data plate which was on the outside of the horn just behind bumper is missing

The engine has one number above water pump facing front which is 35635 and also some numbers on the block above the water pump I cannot make out them all but the ones I see are an R possibly a C then 97954 and immediately above this number is slightly smaller numbers but all I can make out is 0.2.0 these are on their side so it may read o.n.o.

it has a spicer 23 rear diff and a dana25 front with T90 gearbox

a bit of a puzzle and any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Geoff  

you can't roll steam with a steam roller
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 12:09am
Hmmmm...where to start?

First of all, welcome to the forum...

Some pictures of the grille, windshield, left and right sides, engine compartment, and dashboard would be a big help in sorting out what year your rig actually is. It may be a combination of several models and years. With the pictures, there are several on this forum that are very adept at spotting minor differences in years and even changes made in mid-year.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 1:47am
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a repro body from the mid 1970's. I bought one like you are describing in 1976 from JcWhitney.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
GeoffH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 7:12am
Hello again,
thanks for replies i will try and upload some photographs 

Geoff
GeoffH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 7:56am
Hi hopefully this will work

Thanks
Geoff
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 2:58pm
A dj manifold with a Yf carb in there!
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 3:17pm
The rear axle is a Dana 41, not a Dana 23. MB windshield. 2A grille.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 4:12pm
Looks like a Jeep to enjoy and have fun with. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 4:24pm
This Jeep is having a bit of an identity crisis.  Nearly all Willys Jeeps are represented here.  The positive is, the restoration is really well done.

Nice work!
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 4:32pm
Welcome to the forum. That looks like a fun jeep.

Just FYI, in photobucket if you copy the link labeled IMG it will automatically be displayed in your forum post like this.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
GeoffH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 9:56pm
Hi thanks for comments . i cannot lay claim to the restoration so far that is down to the previous owner
 i am changing the lights and will look out for a 3-way light switch . had a bit of trouble with the brakes he put all new copper pipe work on and a new master cylinder but did not change the flexi hoses and they were all collapsed ,now replaced. so will now have to pull the drums to see what lies in wait in there. have got a pedal so hopefully just needing a good dustout.
thanks for tip about picture posting will post more as work goes on.

Thanks
Geoff
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 11:02pm
" he put all new copper pipe work on"
I hope not. Copper is not up to the demands placed on it by a brake system. It is too soft, flexes too much, and becomes brittle where it flexes. The new "Cupro-Nickel" stuff is alright I guess, but I don't like it. I use steel. If I found a vehicle with copper brake lines on it, I would not drive it around the block.  JMO   YMMV   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 2:57am
The body tub is indeed an MD Juan repro.  Acme Truck Parts supplied the one I wasted money on in '78.  Being in a wet climate didn't help at all. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
GeoffH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 7:17am
Hi have to say in all the years i have had classic cars since the seventy's never had a problem with copper   pipes . i am not sure when the body  was put on but it is pretty solid and well made i have a complete body for a 3b aswell that i got from Holland and that is from MD Juan and again it is well made and well worth the price. as to climate i live in England it is called the green and pleasant land because it rains a lot mostly in the summer and cars rust for a pastime 

Bruce  what does   JMO  YMMV  BW  mean?  i remember letters from and to girl friends in the early days like SWALK And NORWICH that had these letters on them . and i think i may be being a bit daft but hey ho

cheers
Geoff

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 7:41am
JMO_- Just My Opinion
YMMV - your Milage May Vary
BW - Bruce W

Edited to correct the auto correct
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 3:16pm
The problem with copper is as it flexes it will work-harden and then break. This is the problem that Bruce was alluding to. It may take several years to get to the point of work-hardening, but eventually it will fail. Repairs using copper for brake lines are illegal in many states in the U.S. I would recommend replacing the lines with steel for safety's sake.

Your tub looks to be in good shape and I think that if you pay attention to the areas that tend to collect water underneath, you should be able to maintain the tub for many years.

GeoffH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 7:24pm
Thats good advice i never knew copper would do that i will look to change sooner rather than later . i think because in the past i never really had any vehicle long term, and always getting some thing else i was not aware about the pipes. i suppose people go for them as they bend readily when fitting on the vehicle .

yes the tub is in very good condition and will keep it waxoiled  or as i did in the Army and we used a mix of kerosene/oil on the lorry chassis etc. all helps to keep the dreaded tin worm away.

Looking at the mix of parts i could swing either way and go M38 or Cj2 but as i am on the Cj2 page maybe should not mention the 'M' word.  the purist are going to have a field day when i  pitch up at shows...

Thank you all
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 8:59pm
M-38...no worries! Many of us have M-38 parts on our rigs or own M-38's. Ol' Red has a M-38 frame under it and I know of at least a couple other posters on here that are running the same. We love flatfenders of almost any vintage...

Stay in touch and keep us posted on your build.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>