Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 8:10pm
There should be no pressure inside the oil pan. The job of the road-draft tube (which you shouldn’t have) was to relieve that pressure, and the job of the PCV system (which you should have) is to produce a small amount of negative pressure in there. 
  That diagram depicts the oiling system for an F-head engine. That upper line provides oil to the rocker arms and intake valve stems. Just forget that it’s there and the rest is correct for the L-head. 
  While you’ve got the engine out, make sure the expansion plug at the rear of the camshaft is in place.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
NealzWorld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 9:12pm
Where is the expansion plug?   
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 12:23am
In the back of the block, at the rear of the camshaft. You may have to remove the flywheel and the rear engine plate to see it. Maybe you can pull the plate back against the flywheel far enough to see in there, I don’t know.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 1:11am
Hi Michael, I was looking at the picture of the inside of your motor and is it possible that the #4 connecting rod cap is not installed right? I only see #4 on the rod but not on the cap.Maybe it’s me but the cap doesn’t look right.Usually you can see a number on the rod and cap on the same side.Hope you find your problem with your oil pressure.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 1:18am
Hmm.  I'll take a look at the caps .  Don't think they are numbered.  

Edited by NealzWorld - 04 Feb. 2019 at 1:41am
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 3:07am
Originally posted by NealzWorld NealzWorld wrote:

Hmm.  I'll take a look at the caps .  Don't think they are numbered.  

They should be, how else can you tell which cap goes with which rod?

IME, The caps & the rods are always numbered. In my life I have only rebuilt about 1800 or so engines so far. Thus, I might have missed one that does not have the rods & caps numbered.

If your caps are on backwards, or on the wrong rod, that could cause you to have oil pressure issues. It could also cause your engine to experience catastrophic failure very soon. Please double check all of your rods to be sure that they have the correct cap & that it is installed correctly. If the rods are not installed with the correct rod in the proper orientation, please look at your rod bearings & your main bearings. Check for severe wear &/or galling. Please tell me that the main bearing caps are installed in the correct location & in the proper orientation. If those are incorrect, the issues would be the same as the rods, but much more severe.

I hope that all this checking finds that all is well. I am pulling for you, Cpt Logger.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 3:10am
I will definitely look at them closer and make sure it's correct . Don't need any failures!    

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

There should be no pressure inside the oil pan. The job of the road-draft tube (which you shouldn’t have) was to relieve that pressure, and the job of the PCV system (which you should have) is to produce a small amount of negative pressure in there. 
  That diagram depicts the oiling system for an F-head engine. That upper line provides oil to the rocker arms and intake valve stems. Just forget that it’s there and the rest is correct for the L-head. 
  While you’ve got the engine out, make sure the expansion plug at the rear of the camshaft is in place.    BW

I agree on a CJ-2 Engine no draft tube. But the Wagons and Pickups used them as did the DJ-3A's My engine which is from a DJ-3A had a Draft tube. I am changing it to a PCV system.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NealzWorld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 11:37pm
Well I'm at a loss.   Need to configure a device that collects the oil pouring out of the back of the engine and pumps it back up into the oil fill tube....  HAH  

Pulled the engine for the third time for the same problem, replaced the rear main seal with a rope seal, put the packings in, checked for all the plugs, all there, none leaking.  Watched about 25 different you tube videos on what kind of sealant to use, and how to properly install the plugs, the packings, the seals....  Still pouring out.  I will say, every time we've pulled the engine we found something that would cause it...  the first time the packings were missing.   This time the top rear main seal was a little jacked up.    But we just put a brand new rear main seal in, top and bottom.    So unless it blew one of those out upon firing up...  

Anyone in the DFW area of TX that wants to come give it a try?  I keep a beer fridge stocked!  
1947 CJ2A #88589
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 11:47pm
It sounds like a page out of my past. 4 attempts to stop the rear main leak. I fixed it with a 198 ci V6.
uncamonkey
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 12:34am
   I had trouble with one of my engines leaking in the back and it was a steady pour. After several tries and not finding the cause I separated  the bell housing from the motor and put a oil pump in without the drive gear on it  and used a rod flattened on the end and a drill motor to spin the pump.  The oil was coming from a small hole in the plug in the back of the oil gallery. This would not show a seal leak though.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 12:55am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I had trouble with one of my engines leaking in the back and it was a steady pour. After several tries and not finding the cause I separated  the bell housing from the motor and put a oil pump in without the drive gear on it  and used a rod flattened on the end and a drill motor to spin the pump.  The oil was coming from a small hole in the plug in the back of the oil gallery. This would not show a seal leak though.

Jim

Now that's using your head - great idea!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12