Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil pump difrences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil pump difrences
    Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:35am
I am having some trouble with my current L 134 engine rebuild, since I do not know the history of the engine I am wondering now if the correct oil pump is in the engine. I know the gear drive and chain drive pumps are different.
does any know how to identify the two by looking at it?
gearwrencher
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 7:04am
Other than the gear on the pump (and the one on the camshaft), the pumps are the same. The gears are "wound" in opposite directions. The wrong pump gear won't mesh with the camshaft gear.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 9:24pm
What specific "trouble" are you having?

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 7:47am
I have built about a dozen engines in my time and all have been a success until my latest Jeep L134. The engine  always started up fine and ran well , than I checked the oil and it had a lot of water in it. The engine now has a slight knock. just wondering what went wrong such as the previous owner put in the wrong oil pump .I know now that is not the case. still would not explain water in oil.
I bought three L head engines locally, I never herd it run or know any history before i took it apart.
gearwrencher
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 11:45am
Since you don't know the engines history, maybe a little of your history with it would help... water in the oil sounds like a gasket or a crack, or even a pcv problem.  Kind of hard to see from here, lol.

Not trying to assume anything, can you define "built" for us?  Magnafluxing?  Milling? Etc.... even then not sure anyone can diagnose it from here, but start simple and work in from there...  have you got one plug that looks steam cleaned or excessively fouled, etc.

I'm assuming you changed the oil once you found the water, but how long did it run decent build 'til issue.... we really need a ton more info, but you gotta just take it a piece of it at a time... radiator low?  Rod knock, main knock or wrist pin, the water could be a cause or unrelated.  You sound like you're no stranger to the inside of an engine, and a teardown is in your future, but we (I, lol) need a little more than "what happened?" LOL

Edited by mbullism - 24 Apr. 2018 at 4:59pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

...water in the oil sounds like a gasket or a crack, or even a pcv problem.  

X2. 

Although, an issue with the PCV being clogged wouldn't probably be "a lot" of water in the oil.  That said, I live in a pretty dry climate compared to San Diego.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply