Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ol' Red lives!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ol' Red lives!
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 3:26pm
For the first time in 22 years the engine on Ol' Red is running. She was parked in my garage in 1995 in running condition and left there all these years under lots of household junk left over from a divorce. Basically just forgot about, nothing had been done to the old girl until I was trying to gain some space in the garage for some shop equipment and needed the space.

In October 2015 I decided that if I could move her to the other side of the garage that I could gain the required space for a lathe that I wanted to put in place so I cleaned all the crap off of her and gained some space...however, in the process of cleaning and moving, I realized that if I didn't do some restoration on the old girl I might as well just sell her.

Long story short, I decided to get a new tub, go through the transmission and transfer case, rebuild the steering gearbox, rebuild the steering knuckles, all new brake parts, all new wiring, new upholstery, new exhaust, new alternator bracketing, new air cleaner...lots of other minor goodies. Basically a resto-mod. Looks like a 2A with electrical system mods. New tub was painted with single stage urethane 1968 Corvette Rally Red.

...anyway, last night I attempted to start her and cranked her over... a cough...then she started and ran. Holding 30 pounds of oil pressure at a fast idle. The engine doesn't have all that many miles on a rebuild so it is in very good shape. (Yes, I changed the oil and checked the valve lash...even added the stock oil filter which it never had...)

Today, after I get the idle adjusted down and some minor adjustment to the front brakes, I will get in and drive it down the street for a little ways. There are going to be some adjustments that will have to be made on things like the clutch, but it will be nice to be able to drive her once more. As I gain confidence in her reliability, I will drive her to more distant places.

If I can get a picture or two posted later, I will. I know how everyone wants a picture...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 14 Apr. 2017 at 5:19pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 3:45pm
After I finished writing the above, I realized that a lot of the rebuild on Ol' Red wouldn't have been possible without the advice given on the CJ-2A Forum.

I may not have asked many questions, but reading the responses to others similar problems and having many of the resources available on this forum has saved me time and money.

I want to thank all the participants, past and present, of this forum for their help and great Resto-mod ideas.

Thank you all so much, this forum is like having your very own cheerleading section.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 3:50pm
Show us that old beauty!
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Show us that old beauty!

seriously! you oughtta know better, lol LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Show us that old beauty!

X3!
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 11:59pm
Would love to see Ol Red    

Giles
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 3:46am
Congrats on getting her running and driving.

Let's see her!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 3:45pm
I believe I have a broken exhaust valve spring or a sticking exhaust valve on #3. Compression test shows 105, 110, 75, 115. After adding oil to # 3 the compression value doesn't change. No water leaks. The exhaust is slightly carbon, but the carburetor probably needs some adjustment. When warm the engine starts immediately without a choke. Water temp is about 170 after warm up. Oil pressure at idle is 20 lbs.

This engine probably has less than 450-600 hours of use from 1970 to 1996 years, but then sat garaged from 1996 to now unstarted. The engine was purchased in 1970 from Sears when they still offered rebuilt engines for Jeeps. It always ran very well until parked in 1996. The jeep has always been garaged since I have owned it.

I will probably remove the valve cover next week and see if the valve spring is broken. If it isn't broken, is there any reliable way to free a stuck valve without taking the head off the engine? I really don't want to take the head off unless there is a broken spring.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

It always ran very well until parked in 1996.

Poo. It seems unlikely that a spring broke while sitting.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

It always ran very well until parked in 1996.

Poo. It seems unlikely that a spring broke while sitting.

Poo is right...but breaking a spring while sitting doesn't seem possible. While I am reasonably competent on driveline matters, my knowledge is a little murky when it comes to engine problems.

So...stuck valve? Could a broken spring happen on first start up?

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 5:05pm
I guess anything is possible, I'm just going with likely imo.  Coincidence I'm sure, but it was #3 exhaust that was stuck open after sitting in my RMC genset engine.  A lot of ATF soaking from the top of the guide (with the engine rotated 30* or so on a stand) and a fairy kiss with a hammer from above popped it loose.  Interested in hearing of folks having success doing it from the bottom...I got nuthin Unhappy
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 5:05pm
Since it is has 75 lbs. pressure it might be just a piece of carbon on the valve seat or valve not allowing it to seal. Maybe you could flush that cylinder and drive it for a while before tearing it down. Might correct itself.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 7:02pm
As already suggested above, I had success using ATF/Acetone through the spark hole...and massaging the valve up and down through the valve cover area.  I did not tip the engine 30°, so the process ruined my oil, but it was worth it to not have to pull the head on this one.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 7:51pm
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/uploads/7505/april_2017_001.JPG

OKAY, I'll bite...someone tell me explicit instructions to get a picture to display on this page. The above is all I can get to display here. I am not technically competent with very many computer operations. Take pity on me, I really would like to post photos for you guys...

This picture is in my file manager file. What do I do next? Anyone?

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 19 Apr. 2017 at 7:57pm

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 8:03pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 2:37am

Don't know how this happened, but anyway here is the little troublemaker of an engine. It's time is coming...next week when I get some time to work on it...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 20 Apr. 2017 at 2:39am

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 2:44am
Another couple of views:

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 5:03am
They were all out of the "bright" red? Lol.

(Looks awesome!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>