Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ol' Red lives!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 5:20am
Ed,
Looking good!
Looks like you got the photo thing figured out too!

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 6:09am
Jeep's looking good. I hope to meet up someday. Kansas Rocks is about half way between you & K.C.(Ft. Scott KS)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 6:09am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

They were all out of the "bright" red? Lol.

(Looks awesome!)

Well, I'm not sure if it comes close to Harvard Red, but I've got some black rims with new shoes almost ready to mount. I'm going to pinstripe the rims Harvard Red.

The color actually comes pretty close to what was under the dashboard on the previous tub.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

The color actually comes pretty close to what was under the dashboard on the previous tub.

Im sure it does.  No offense intended Confused
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 3:08pm

Im sure it does.  No offense intended Confused

None taken...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:48pm
Been kind of bummed in the last week...decided to tear into the valve situation. So, I pulled the intake and exhaust manifold and take a peek behind the valve cover.

No broken valve spring...no stuck valve...

Well, cripes...in for a penny, in for a pound...

I pulled the head and lo and behold the #3 exhaust valve is burned with #2 just starting. If you will recall, compression looked like 125, 105, 75, 115. this would explain a slightly lower reading on cylinder #2 also. Cylinder walls look good.

Parts are on the way, I'm going back with stellite exhaust valves; everything else looks good. I'm glad I got to the bottom of theproblem and I am now confident that in a week or so Ol' Red will be back on the road.

The burned portions of the valves are at the 12 o'clock position.

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:12pm
Ol' red a beauty for sure!.... valves look like an ex. manifold leak. Joe wadoyado.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Ol' red a beauty for sure!.... valves look like an ex. manifold leak. Joe wadoyado.
Well, interesting enough, one of the things I did to get Ol' Red ready to go to the prom this last fall was to replace the exhaust manifold, which had been cracked in a couple of places adjacent to #2 and #3 cylinders.

It didn't even occur to me that this could cause a burned valve or I would have changed the manifold years ago. I have pretty extensive knowledge about things related to the transmission on back, but I an a Noob when it come to much about the engine.

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:19pm
The exhaust valves (Sealed Power, South Africa manufacture) showed up at the NAPA I ordered them from a couple of days ago. I had everything cleaned up and ready to install them and thought it would only take a few minutes to install them and get ready to set the tappets.

Right...

It took two hours to install the valve keepers. Keep in mind that this was in frame with the left fender intact. Also keep in mind that I have FAT fingers! The #2 and #3 exhaust valves were easy...plenty of room to work around the valve spring compressor... took me all of five minutes. #1 and #4 have no room to do that, so it took a lot of patience and plenty of fishing with the magnet to get it done. I had to open the shop door after I was finished to clear out all the blue air that accumulated in the shop...

...today I adjust the tappets and close up the valve cover. I may get the head back on today...or maybe not.

Anyway, I feel confident that Ol' Red will soon be back on the road.   

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 5:37pm
[/sarcasm] Huh... I didn't have anywhere near that much trouble installing keepers with the engine on a stand at waist height and rotated over on it's side [sarcasm]

Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:08pm

[/sarcasm] Huh... I didn't have anywhere near that much trouble installing keepers with the engine on a stand at waist height and rotated over on it's side [sarcasm]

Wink
Well, at one point I was about ready to tip the whole jeep on her side so that I could just make SOME progress.

I have a NEW block on my engine stand that is going to be built as a replacement short block for the one that is in Ol' Red now. That will be a long term project that I probably won't have time or money to finish until next year though.

When I say new block, I mean BRAND SPANKING NEW BLOCK.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:51pm

When I say new block, I mean BRAND SPANKING NEW BLOCK.

One o' them fancy schmancy repop blocks, or NOS? Shocked
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:53pm
Repop...so far I'm impressed...it checks to specs...I'll keep everyone in the loop on how this goes. Still cleaning the cosmoline of the innards and blowing out all passages with compressed air.

NOS? There any of those still around...got to be as scarce as snow in Kansas on an August afternoon...

I did just acquire a NOS camshaft...packed in cosmo since 1956 for the Army.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:20am
Be intetesting to watch. I gota NOS cam eBay about a dozen years ago some guy and North Carolina bought an old gas station and the back room was full of Willys parts including three NOS cams I bought one for 79 bucks before he knew what he had
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 1:17am
Well, Ol' Red is back on the road again after her valve replacement. The work went pretty smooth with the exception of breaking off one thermostat housing bolt flush with the top of the head. PB Blaster and a drill and an easy-out (there is a misnamed tool if there ever was one...) got the job done overnight. I actually put a thermostat in the housing for the first time since I owned it. The prior owner (an oil drilling company) must have left it out at sometime or another.

She drives nice, starts and idles. Still running her close to home to make sure all the bugs are out of her, but everything looks good so far...knock wood.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 1:30am
Great news!!! The confidence comes slow at first then you don't even think about taking them out on long distance. I still carry spare parts with it.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:37pm
Glad everything worked out :)
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:01pm
Here's the new engine on the stand:

Wasn't too impressed with the casting inside the intake and exhaust ports...

I did a little cleanup port and polish work on that.

Valves seat nicely in the block...the orange color is cadmium orange oil paint I used to check the seal on the valve seats. Block came with stellite exhaust seats installed as well as intake valve seats.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 22 May 2017 at 8:03pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>