Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix ada distributor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omix ada distributor.
    Posted: 25 June 2017 at 5:58am
Does any one know how to test these if they are good or bad?

Electronic distributor 4 cylinder 12 volt (17239.01)

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 2:47pm

Did you just install it? One thing I do know if it isn't grounded it will not work.

RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

Did you just install it? One thing I do know if it isn't grounded it will not work.

No. It has been in there for almost 4 years.

Friday evening I drove it 20 minutes to the beach. There I asked my girlfriend if she would like to learn how to drive a manual transmission. Louise warned me that she " will probably break something" I told her it would be fine. ( I shouldn't have)

I had it in low range 4x4. She started okay from a dead stop, a little jumpy, almost stalled but saved it. So now we are moving. Slowly but moving. Time for second gear and she did fine. Tried for 3rd gear but Louise couldn't get it in and maintain speed so it stalled. Now it won't restart.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 8:02pm
Don't know how to test it but have had one in a jeep for around 4 years and still runs fine, put a new one in another jeep  a couple months ago , hasn't run much but runs fine.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Don't know how to test it but have had one in a jeep for around 4 years and still runs fine, put a new one in another jeep  a couple months ago , hasn't run much but runs fine.

Mine was running fine until I was trying to teach someone to drive. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 10:36pm
Here are my results so far.

Coil wires disconnected.

Distributor
 Setting.       Description.             Results. 
200k.       Red and green wire.       .50

20M.       Black and green wire.    2.15

Coil

200k.         Pos (+) and cool.        10.6

200.           Pos (+) and Neg (-)      3.7

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 10:37pm
Here is my tester

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 12:32am
Admittedly I would have scraped the corrosion off the cap and rotor  and tried it before checking voltages.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 1:12am
Dennis, Did you check the easy stuff first? May we assume that you have determined that you have no spark? Have you checked to be sure that you had 12 volts to the coil, & about 8 to 11 Volts to the distributor? Is the distributor turning? You have looked at the coil wire, the rotor, & the distributor cap right?

I have zero input on the electronic ignition as I have points in all of mine.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Admittedly I would have scraped the corrosion off the cap and rotor  and tried it before checking voltages.

I did. Photo doesn't look like it though.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Dennis, Did you check the easy stuff first? May we assume that you have determined that you have no spark? Have you checked to be sure that you had 12 volts to the coil, & about 8 to 11 Volts to the distributor? Is the distributor turning? You have looked at the coil wire, the rotor, & the distributor cap right?

I have zero input on the electronic ignition as I have points in all of mine.

Yes I checked all that. First thing I did check was that it was spinning. The reason I have this distributor is the factory one sheared off the tab that goes into the oil pump. The quickest option I had at the time was buy this distributor at Summit racing ( Which was only 40 minutes from where I lived at the time. )
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 9:02pm
Now for the update. I asked the question on how to test the module to Omix-ada tech department. I was told they "have not found a way to accurately test the module or pickup" Seems odd to me.

They believe it is the module from what I described to them and are sending a replacement under warranty. Should be here today or tomorrow I hope.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 10:41pm
Good! Please keep us informed if you would.

Thanks, Cpt Logger.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Now for the update. I asked the question on how to test the module to Omix-ada tech department. I was told they "have not found a way to accurately test the module or pickup" Seems odd to me.

They believe it is the module from what I described to them and are sending a replacement under warranty. Should be here today or tomorrow I hope.

What Omix-ADA was telling you but not really saying was that they don't want to staff a testing department and it is cheaper for them to just replace the module than do regular quality control testing of their vendors parts.

My father worked for years as an engineer in a automotive electronics manufacturing facility and there were ALWAYS standards that their QC people had to check on the output of the production lines. If it didn't meet specs it went in the scrap pile to be crushed. This company's stated policy was to produce quality parts, period. Yes, the parts were somewhat more expensive than some of the competition...you mostly get what you pay for. The company is no longer in business, it succumbed years ago to the onslaught of cheap parts from overseas and the willingness of distributors to lowball prices in order to gain market share.

In my opinion, Omix doesn't do much in the way of checking to see whether their vendors are actually shipping them parts that will operate or fit like original equipment. There have been several instances while rebuilding Ol' Red where if I didn't have a lathe and a mill in my shop I would not have been able to get the parts supplied by Omix or their distributors to fit properly.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 29 June 2017 at 11:51pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 2:40am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

What Omix-ADA was telling you but not really saying was that they don't want to staff a testing department and it is cheaper for them to just replace the module than do regular quality control testing of their vendors parts.

My father worked for years as an engineer in a automotive electronics manufacturing facility and there were ALWAYS standards that their QC people had to check on the output of the production lines. If it didn't meet specs it went in the scrap pile to be crushed. This company's stated policy was to produce quality parts, period. Yes, the parts were somewhat more expensive than some of the competition...you mostly get what you pay for. The company is no longer in business, it succumbed years ago to the onslaught of cheap parts from overseas and the willingness of distributors to lowball prices in order to gain market share.

In my opinion, Omix doesn't do much in the way of checking to see whether their vendors are actually shipping them parts that will operate or fit like original equipment. There have been several instances while rebuilding Ol' Red where if I didn't have a lathe and a mill in my shop I would not have been able to get the parts supplied by Omix or their distributors to fit properly.

I was hoping today I would get the replacement but I didn't. Told me it was sent Tuesday too. Annoying. Angry

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 3:49am

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I was hoping today I would get the replacement but I didn't. Told me it was sent Tuesday too. Annoying. Angry
Yeah, if I didn't like a tire I mounted or a meal I cooked In a restaurant, nothing went out. I spent years doing carpentry and my boss was happy to let me make sure everything was up to my or his standards before I went home.
I'm a bit picky about some things

uncamonkey
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 3:03am
Received module today and test it.

Set at 200k. Red and green in the old .50. New 10.   
Set at 20k. Black and green wire old 2.15.  New no reading. 

I thought, cool it has different readings. 

I put the new module in and nothing. Thought maybe the battery is not strong enough so I hook jumper cables to my girls Jeep and still nothing.

So I don't know if the new is good or bad, since Omix doesn't have a way to test them.

Going to go check to see if I have spark.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 3:33am
Still no spark.
Checked TDC again. Checked firing order again.
No spark. 

So either they sent a bad "new" module ( possible) or the pick up is dead.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>