Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 9:28pm
Ok as promised my parts showed up today and I took some pictures of the new and old. The new sector shaft is a Crown and I have no idea who makes the arm. As you see in the pictures of the new and old there is not much difference in the two. Yes the new arm does not go all the way onto the new sector shaft splines but neither did the old factory (I believe) set. I does look like the new pitman arm is slightly wider and not beveled like the stock one but that should not really matter.                                             
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 9:39pm
My only problem was the index mark for the Crown shaft didn't match with the mark on the new pitman arm. They were 180 degrees off from each other. Have no idea who built the pitman arm...I do know it was expensive as heck...probably OMIX, I suppose...

Anyway, it fit as least as good the original, but I did notice that it was a bit thicker where it bolts on like you pointed out.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 9:56pm
I believe your original is not an original. It should use up 95% of the are splines. You have a 30 % loss of strength. Old stock uses darn near all of the arm spline and leaves just enough so the nut keeps pressure on the arm.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 10:15pm
Mike, did you try the old pitman arm on the new Crown shaft?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 11:52pm
I just went out and tried the old arm on the new shaft and it was the same fit as the pictures. I then went out and looked at my other jeep and it looked like there was only about 1/4 inch or less of actual spline showing so I would say the arm was on the shaft further.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2017 at 12:12am
Thanks Mike, I purchased a new crown selector shaft kit from one of our active members on here for a future rebuild and was curious. It looks like a well made kit and Glad to know that I can use it.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 1:02am
I checked into my box recently to see what was installed.   I did not pull the whole shaft out, but got into it as close as I could.  To me it looks like an older repair, but wanted another opinion.   The number on the back ends in 998, which I thinks is the original part number?  The worm gear also displays #123041.
 If I do replace it, Id like to see what Fitzpatrick gets in the next few months.   Any guesses on this shaft?
Thanks as always  

Dave
44 Willys MB
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 1:45am
Looks like OE parts to me with just a little shaft wear on the sector. The pins look in good shape. Is that grease or 140W oil that you are running in the box? I can't tell for sure.

Should be 140W oil and not grease.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 2:09am
That's good to hear. I noticed the wear on the pins too, but overall, the steering is very good.
The lube is a pudding of a little grease and SAE 90 gear oil. It will be all oil when I get it back together.
Dave
44 Willys MB
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 6:35am
OK, I pulled the cover off of the steering box on my 47 CJ2A. Sent photos to Omix-ADA. they indicated that it was manufactured by Crown & was OK. I just what to get confirmation from the experts.I almost want to put the old one back in.Is it a Crown? Y/N leave it in or put old one back in? A lot of pitting on Shaft of old one.Thanks
Old sector shaft
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 4:17am
The old one is too far gone to re-use.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 3:02pm
Crown or not, I can't say, but it is not the one that's been breaking. 
Ol' Un is right, the old one is shot.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by 47heater 47heater wrote:

OK, I pulled the cover off of the steering box on my 47 CJ2A. Sent photos to Omix-ADA. they indicated that it was manufactured by Crown & was OK. I just what to get confirmation from the experts.I almost want to put the old one back in.Is it a Crown? Y/N leave it in or put old one back in? A lot of pitting on Shaft of old one.Thanks
Old sector shaft
Pull that angle grease zerk out of the fill hole and save it for something else so you won't be tempted to use it to grease the Ross box...140W gear oil is what is used in the box. You can find it at NAPA or on Amazon.

47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 12:10am
thanks for all the help. I left the new sector shaft in. Grease fiting was all I had at the time, I'll put a plug in later. I've been using 85-140 w gear oil. On to the next project.
davidradio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:26pm
Please remember don't use GL-5

Edited by davidradio - 11 June 2018 at 9:18am
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:36pm
jumping in on this thread I want to ask is this the same shaft as the one Walcks sold me?
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:54pm
The Crown sector shaft is absolutely the one that Walck's sells and has sold for years. It is a well-made part and has always been reliable. I believe that Kaiser Willys is also now selling the Crown sector shaft. (The problem of bad sector shafts was three years ago and to the best of my knowledge that part is no longer available.)

I agree on NOT using grease in steering boxes and using 80w120 instead. Grease cannot work its way down into the sector shaft's bushings and only serves to cause problems. Over the years folks have replaced the 1/8" pipe plug with zerk fittings so they could grease the boxes - get rid of the zerk fitting (if you have one) and replace it with a 1/8" pipe plug. 

To be sure you don't have leakage, use only opper washers - no lock washers - between the four cover bolts and the cover. 

These are good boxes and can be made to work very reliably.

Roger
TightSteer

Edited by JeepRoger - 18 July 2018 at 4:56pm
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 2:38am
JeepRoger

Would John Deere Cornhead grease be an option for the steering box, I have constant leaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwk_sYP6A8
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>