Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Engine Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix-ADA Engine Bearings??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omix-ADA Engine Bearings??
    Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:54pm
Hello everyone, I was curious if anyone out there has used main bearings, rod bearings, or piston rings from Omix-ADA and can comment on the overall experience and quality?  I've only used USA parts like Federal, Grant, and Hastings for my personal builds.  My neighbor purchased a complete rebuild kit from Omix for his CJ3A and is wanting me to use the parts on his engine rebuild as he has already spent the money for the kit.  Any useful comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

P.S. I plan on staying with name brands for my personal builds!

Edited by danover321 - 20 May 2014 at 8:57pm
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 12:15am
danover321

Stay with parts you know. There are a lot of bad foren parts out there. Tell your friend to take the kit back and use what you know is good.

F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 1:00am
Good name brand bearings are availible at your local auto parts

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 7:05am
Dan, here is my take on this: Will your neighbor remember that you advised against using these parts, or is he going to blame you for the failure of his engine when these parts cause it to seize? IME, he will blame YOU!!

I would refuse to use these parts and explain why I refuse. If he does not understand, I would ask him to take his engine to another shop. "I value your friendship more then the $$ or beer I get for doing your engine overhaul."

For me it is all about reputation! I overhaul aircraft engines for a living. It is critical for me to do an excellent job, and to do that, I use quality parts from known manufacturers. If he is too cheap to buy quality parts, is he going to spend the $$ to give his engine the maintenance it needs? I doubt it.

Remember, in his eyes, YOU are the expert, and if his engine fails, it will be (at least partly), YOUR FAULT! Don't do it.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 11:49am
X10! Just curious as why he did not inquire with you about what to buy.

Edited by johnnybravo - 21 May 2014 at 11:52am
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 3:31pm
If his bearings are re-boxed known brands, then go for it.
Any stamps or brand markings on the bearings?
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 3:49pm
Hello everyone, first, thank you for your responses!  My neighbor had his block machined approximately two years ago and purchased the kit from an online vendor who I'm guessing drop ships from Omix.  All the parts are generic wrapped in plastic with the only identifiable markings being the sizes .040 Pistons, .020 Rods, and .020 Mains.  The parts were shipped from the Omix warehouse in a generic box.  My neighbor is retired on a fixed income, elderly, and believed he was getting a good deal on the complete rebuild kit.  I have warned him repeatedly about the suspect quality of the parts; however, he is insistent on using them.  I'm leaning towards not building the engine for him as not to cause problems in the future if something catastrophic happens to the engine.  I was mainly looking for some input from someone who might have used Omix-ADA engine parts in the past and has first hand knowledge.

Thanks,

Dan              
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 8:07pm
Many many years ago, I helped a fellow rebuild his Pontiac engine with parts from J C Whitney. The bearings and rings came in plain white boxes and had no identifying marks on them except the sizing.

It was a major disaster! The rings never did seat in and the bearings started to come apart as soon as the engine started. We replaced the bearings with maybe 30 minutes run time. The rings wore fast, but it never did stop burning oil. 

He put 6,000 miles on it and we rebuilt it again with quality parts, bored cylinders, reground crank, and lots of cussing! Last I heard, it had 95,000 miles on it and it was going strong!

IMHO, if the manufacturer is not proud enough of their product to put their name on them, then they know that they are making JUNK!

Obviously this may or may not apply to your situation, as it was years ago, and not Omix-ADA, but how much is your time worth? You will probably have to redo this engine again! Of course, if a rod goes through the side of the block, you will not have to rebuild this one. You get to try again on another block! What fun!!

I understand being on a fixed income. That makes it much more important for you to help him get the most "bang for his buck" that you can. Using questionable parts is not saving him any $$ at all. He should understand that redoing this rebuild because of bad parts is going to cost him much more in the long run then it will cost him to buy quality parts in the first place.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 12:31am
Dan, Omix parts have a very bad reputation. However, with that said, many of the name brand USA parts such as Federal Mogul and other USA name brands are now made overseas. Automotive machine shops use those parts but only the names they trust. 

If your just trying to help your neighbor out make him understand you will NOT guarantee the overhaul in any way. Build the engine as if it is your own engine. Check the clearances and document them and give him a copy of everything you do but tell him your not backing any thing about the rebuild and write it down along with the data you record. Have a witness with you when you give him the engine and data sheet and have everyone sign it.

Don't charge him anything for the work.

Building his engine is good practice for doing yours.
Life is only as good as you make it.
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 4:20pm
Hi everyone, I managed to talk my neighbor out of using the Omix parts.  Luckily, I had some usable pistons and valves he could utilize.  Additionally, I ordered Federal (Sealed Power) main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearing, rings, and Fel-Pro Gaskit Kit  from Advance Auto P$%&s using an online 30% off coupon bringing the total cost to approximately $221.95 Plus Napa Timing gear $49.00 bringing the total to$270.95.  Deal made for the pistons, valves, or residual costs is not included.  My neighbor was satisfied with the cost. 

I am not charging for the build as I'm  very familiar with Missouri civil tort.  Also, I read Federal Mogul parts are now manufactured in Mexico which was confirmed on the parts packaging.   

Edited by danover321 - 25 May 2014 at 4:31pm
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474

Post Reply Post Reply