Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 52>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Don't listen to the haters, lol... I'm diggin the green Smile

I'm very comfortable in my green..ness! LOL

I actually painted the louvers when I did all the small parts. So i was thinking this for a while. If it's too much, I have a set of mint black louvers. But so far I'm sticking with it....

now a matching pasture green trailer...now we're talking.....and I have enough material to pull that off....

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback! I really am enjoying sharing this build. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 10:48am
chipping away....

Had a extra pair of hands this weekend. My son and I hung the fenders and mounted the windshield frame. I also stenciled the tailgate. Yes....not correct for the year. But there's not a whole bunch correct bout this whole build. I just like it. 

Getting a little frustrated with the re-pop parts. Cowl gasket is terrible. It does not mimic stock. I need to find an alternative that fits better. The grill welt kit - not enough material to complete the three parts. Had to order a second one to complete the task. And finally the anti-rattle gaskets for the fender to body joint - holes not close had to re-cut/extend the bottom hole. I"m sure everyone has run into these issues. Most are no big deal. But the cowl gasket, I'm not happy about that one. 

anyway, enough bitching! I hope to have the grill completed tonight. Then it's a mountain of small details and wiring. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 12:14pm
Was wonderin bout you Wink. Still looking good!

Where did you get the fender gaskets (manufacturer?) So I can avoid them  (if at all possible, lol) when I put my clip on
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 1:58pm
Someone recently posted about a cowl gasket that they purchased off EBay that fit like a charm. Maybe worth a look.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Gristle Gristle wrote:

Someone recently posted about a cowl gasket that they purchased off EBay that fit like a charm. Maybe worth a look.

Yes - I was looking for that post earlier. I'll check it out once i find it. 

Thanks. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 4:37am
Great looking build. I like the green, it's the original color of mine and I hope to go back to the pasture green at some point
Steve
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 10:10pm
Wrapped up the grill and installed. The welting and felts took a bit work. But once I got the into the swing of it, it went fairly quick. I debated on the headlight bucket color. I stuck with black. I also stuck two more marker lights into the bumper. 

Installed the pedals and the MC cover. I bought a new MC cover. In the end I decided to use the original one - rust pits and all. I also installed some wide body washers on the mounts. I didn't liek a standard washer squishing the bushing from below. So I cleaned up a few washers I had kicking around and galv coated them. 

Tank sealer arrived. I think next on the list will be the fuel system. I plan to fab up a heat shield and also shield the line with some wrap. I'm considering going AN fittings and braided line. But first need to treat the tank and paint it. 

We're getting there. It's moving along pretty well now. 

Edited by nofender - 19 Nov. 2017 at 11:26pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 11:04pm
looking good sir!
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:22am
"Moving along pretty well", Heck I look where you were 14 months ago and I'd say you're making great progress. Wish we were at this point. Looks great!!!
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 1:01am
Chipping away....

Spent the better part of the day completing the fuel system. I routed the lines as stock-ish as I could. I also plumbed up the oil pressure gauge. I used a bulkhead fitting I had kicking around as well as some braided line. Should prove to be leak free. 

After some research, I found there was a stamp on the fuel tank - A oil company. I never knew this existed. So I did a little digging on the stock 48 i have. Sure enough it had it's original gas tank. Granted it's beyond repair. Just thought it was cool. The re-pop tank i got has the stamp. Anyway.....learn something new every day on these old Jeeps. 

I thought of painting the tank body color to mimic stock. But decided I liked the look of the black. The finish out of the box is great. So i just left it as is. 

Bulk head fitting for the oil pressure.

Old and new gas tank stampings. 

And lastly, that random hole in my hood. I was wondering what to fill it with. Well digging around I found this old jewel. I had used it on my first Harley 20 some odd years ago. I had long forgotten about this thing. Seems silly, but I thought it fitting to put on the Jeep and once again hit the road. 

Edited by nofender - 03 Dec. 2017 at 11:03am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 2:14am
Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 3:35am
I like the little blue reflector.  Perfect place for it!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 8:45pm
Today was dash appreciation day. I started with what I thought was a simple task - install the dash light. 

I swear this little Jeep was sent to me to teach me patience and perseverance. These are virtues I have always lacked. 

So the dash light. I went to install it and found the hole to be not only too big, but also not even round. Guess I never noticed this flaw. So I had to think about how to solve this little puzzle. I ended up taking a 2" x 6" piece if 16 gauge and putting a 90 degree bend in it, creating a flange if you will. Then I drilled holes to match the choke and throttle cable holes. These would be used to hold the light bracket in. It ended working out well. Took 2 hours to do a 2 minute job. Damn thing. 

You can see the wonky hole and the new backing plate installed here. 

I jazzed up the gauges. It was just a simple sand and touch up the bezels. The amp gauge isn't correct. So i'm debating whether to swap to a voltmeter. Anyway, also did the final polish on the e-brake handle. Also added the dash plates. They were a little cheesy, being roughly half the thickness of the real deals. But installed, I'm pleased with how they look. 

Lastly, a little nostalgia. I found the ignition that came with the Jeep that became my crawler. Attached was the key tag of my old Freightliner tractor that I once drove for a living in a past life. I don't recall ever putting this aside. But there it was waiting for another shot at some road time. Glad I'm finding some of this stuff from my past. As much as I've wanted to burn this Jeep to the ground at times, I'm growing very fond of it now. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 3:01pm
Right before you burn it give me a call. 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Right before you burn it give me a call. 

I've come close a few times! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 5:24pm
You have a nice looking jeep,very well done.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 9:40pm
Andy, This is looking awesome! I cant wait to get to the point you are at... It seems so far away! haha... I just read through your entire build. Excellent work, fast progress, and a beautiful outcome. Keep up the good work. I will be anxiously awaiting your updates. One question I have is.... your wheel spacers. What make and size are they. My jeep has 34.9 swampers like your old jeep. I need to space them out a bit to clear my calipers and give me a little clearance on the front leafs when turning.  It has two 1/4'" aluminum slide on spacers on it now. Im not super fond of that setup and would rather run a legit spacer if I have to. The smallest I have seen is 1.250" I only need 1/2  to 3/4" to clear everything. I would like to keep the tires from sticking out and spraying mud all over the side of the jeep. Any input is appreciated. thanks!   Clown

Edited by Millennium falcon - 17 Dec. 2017 at 9:45pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Andy, This is looking awesome! I cant wait to get to the point you are at... It seems so far away! haha... I just read through your entire build. Excellent work, fast progress, and a beautiful outcome. Keep up the good work. I will be anxiously awaiting your updates. One question I have is.... your wheel spacers. What make and size are they. My jeep has 34.9 swampers like your old jeep. I need to space them out a bit to clear my calipers and give me a little clearance on the front leafs when turning.  It has two 1/4'" aluminum slide on spacers on it now. Im not super fond of that setup and would rather run a legit spacer if I have to. The smallest I have seen is 1.250" I only need 1/2  to 3/4" to clear everything. I would like to keep the tires from sticking out and spraying mud all over the side of the jeep. Any input is appreciated. thanks!   Clown

Hey Seth. I used the G2 spacers in the 1.25 inch variety. Good quality and a reasonable price. 

Here's a link. Can't remember where i bought them from. But this seems to be the going rate. 

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/G2-5x5-5-Inch-Bolt-Pattern-with-1-25-Inch-Offset-Wheel-Spacers-Black-93-85-125.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=107&t_pt=7576&t_pn=G/293-85-125

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 52>