Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 51>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

As much as I've wanted to burn this Jeep to the ground at times, I'm growing very fond of it now. 

And you'll be even prouder of it going down the road.  

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 9:54pm
Well I probably shouldn't have, but I did it anyway....

Found a place to put all that left over pasture green paint. Brought home a trailer today. All clues point to this be a Swiss model. Could be a refurbished Willys or Bantan done by the Swiss. Or it could be a reproduction done for the Swiss Army. I'll investigate soon. If i can find and ACM, that will tell the story. I'm leaning towards Swiss made.

It's very solid. Only one panel that needs some help. It appears to be 100% original. How it landed in Long Island will no doubt remain a mystery. 

It appears the old Jeep has a companion now. 

Many thanks to Mike for pointing this one my way! thank you sir! 

Here's the Swiss tail lights and warning triangles. I think they are pretty cool. 

Odd ball flat disc wheels. 

Edited by nofender - 20 Jan. 2018 at 9:56pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 10:19pm
Nice! Thumbs Up If it's as solid as it looks I really think you "stole" it, even as a refurb or mbt copy.  Fingers crossed for ACMs or painted over military registration numbers.  Not gonna lie, I like the Swiss lights, but even if you swap em out there's only a small percentage of even jeep peeps will pick out the small lunette...

Those rims, though LOL

(Think of it as pay back renewed thank you for that new jersey frame Wink)

Edited by mbullism - 20 Jan. 2018 at 10:48pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Nice! Thumbs Up If it's as solid as it looks I really think you "stole" it, even as a refurb or mbt copy.  Fingers crossed for ACMs or painted over military registration numbers.  Not gonna lie, I like the Swiss lights, but even if you swap em out there's only a small percentage of even jeep peeps will pick out the small lunette...

Those rims, though LOL

(Think of it as pay back for that new jersey frame Wink)

Agreed! For the price I can't see a negative here. 

I'm sure I'll fiddle around with it for a couple days. But then it's back burner time. Maybe a late spring blast and paint - of course depending what I find for it's origin. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 10:36pm
Progress! 

Glass!  After fiddling with it for a few hours, I could not make it work. So I brought it to a pro to install. 

The shop had to do some fiddling as well be they got it done. Looks great. He charged me only $40! Yes $40. 

But in typical fashion for this Jeep, there are challenges. The windshield pivots don't line up. The brackets are aftermarket, as are the arms. So I have to wonder if there is some slight differences from stock. I was extremely careful measuring and welding the brackets on. But they are off. I think the easiest option would be to create new pivots for the inner windshield. I never thought to completely mock up the entire windshield prior to welding and paint. But, here we are. Lesson learned.....

Edited by nofender - 23 Jan. 2018 at 10:39pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 11:27pm
I'm guessing you measured carefully with "factory" dimensions (?)... any thoughts of trying some originals, just for giggles?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 11:35pm
Is that an original windshield frame? 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Is that an original windshield frame? 

Yes - inner and outer frames are the real deal. The pivot brackets that welds to the outer frame - aftermarket. The originals were cut off to make way for a roll cage. But the base was still intact on the frame. So I could see and replicate the exact location of the stock pieces. 

Mike, I don't have a set of original lollipops. So, I can't compare. 

I'm thinking I could section the short arms. This would bring the holes on the long arms up enough to line up. They would still be too far away from the inner frame. But I could overcome that with a simple spacer. 

I've never named a Jeep. But I'm thinking I'll call this one Taxman - because it's taxing my patience. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 1:45am
Your call, but I can bring a couple for a test fit when I bring the yellow thing... not sure it changes anything if ya have to rework the repops anyway, unless ya wanted to hunt up originals if they fit... real talk, you'd probably have them installed before operation yellow, but the offer is there.  Wish I had another pair, but think I only have a single :(
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 2:11am
If you wake up some day and find that someone has broken in and messed up your way to neat shop,it wasn't me. 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 2:11am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Your call, but I can bring a couple for a test fit when I bring the yellow thing... not sure it changes anything if ya have to rework the repops anyway, unless ya wanted to hunt up originals if they fit... real talk, you'd probably have them installed before operation yellow, but the offer is there.  Wish I had another pair, but think I only have a single :(

appreciate it! I'll let you know....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 3:09am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I'm thinking I'll call this one Taxman

Not to change the subject (he said, changing the subject), but the only Beatles song I like is Taxman...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

If you wake up some day and find that someone has broken in and messed up your way to neat shop,it wasn't me. 

LOL - And here I am worrying about the current state of the shop before I shoot pictures. I don't want to embarrass the family! It's kind of like the clean underwear conversation our mothers had with us. Tongue
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 6:22pm
What if you flip them around the other way?
    (screw goes in from the outside)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

What if you flip them around the other way?
    (screw goes in from the outside)

Yeah....tried that too. It didn't change where the foot would land on the inner frame. I'm leaning towards just creating a new pivot bracket. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 7:40pm
Swap the brackets side to side they mount the other way.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Swap the brackets side to side they mount the other way.

Yes. I tried that. But it didn't help. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 10:59pm
Back at it after nursing my half broke leg. Feeling good enough to do some work. So starting light, I solved my windshield pivot problem. 

After staring at it for some time, I took some measurements and got to work. I mounted them opposite of factory, simply for looks. I like the way the hardware lined up. I made some rubber bushings (cut down grommets) to reduce rattles. Overall, pretty happy. They are a bit clunkier than I would like. But I did what I did with the materials I had. 

Secondly I started restoring the wiper motors. The Jeep came with two. So I plan to reinstall both. I've never taken these apart. Very clever little devices! 

I plan to leave these raw/polished. May have to clear them to prevent oxidation. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 51>