Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 52>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Dang no fender, that's a great idea. It reminded me that I have one too. It's from my days riding old Indian motorcycles. Thanks for the idea!

So where can I find one of these bags???...my Willys is like most on here...no glove box..
I am the squirrel....
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 1:35pm
Just about any biker shop will have them for cheap money. Any Harley dealer will sell you one for 3 times what they are worth. Ha! 

Here's a good place: 

Edited by nofender - 18 June 2018 at 1:37pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:35pm

Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Update! Clock is ticking! 

Wrapped up late last night. Steering is done! I'm very happy with the results. 

I used 1 1/4 .120 wall DOM tubing for the tie rods. I matched that up with M38 tie rod ends with the 3/4 shank. Then to make it all go together, weld in tube adapters from Ruff Stuff Specialties. After 3 different pitman arm attempts, the winner was a pitman arm from a Chevelle. It had the dimensions I was looking for and gives me the throw I needed. I did have to ream out the taper to fit the bigger rod end. Bumpsteer should be non existent with the tie rod being on the same plane. Added clearance is NICE! 

Technically I could drive it today, after i bolt down the seat. But A - I can't seem to find enough lug nuts to bolt down the wheels. And B - I only have one tail light at the moment. 

Also found that the alternator wasn't alternating. So I swapped that out. We are charging properly now. 

Today's projects will be to remove the bottom leaf from the rear springs in order to match the front. Torque and trim the u-bolts. Mount the seats permanently. Then lastly, I need to refurbish the air cleaner assembly. Fluff and buff is all. It's in excellent shape. 

Few pictures for you: 

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Looks like you flipped the TRs and attached the short tie rod to the front hole on the PS knuckle and the long TR to the rear hole to match the DS knuckle. Are the MB TREs heavier than factory CJ2A TREs?

Thanks again.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:46pm
The M-38 tie rods have a 3/4 shank/shaft. The portion that bolts to the knuckle is the same as the 2A. They are a bit more heavy duty than stock 2A bits. 

I used inserts from these guys: 

The instructions are to bore your knuckles to 3/4. I used a 47/64 bit to get a slight press fit. I heated the knuckles to around 450 degrees on our grill. Please don't tell Mrs Nofender. The inserts slid right in. Then I burned them home with two 1/2 inch or so welds each. To cool them slowly, I wrapped them up in a moving blanket and left them overnight. Probably a bit overkill. But modifying steering components is directly related to my longevity. So I went the extra mile. 

She really steers like a dream now. I think my steering box is a bit worn. So I may replace that with a quicker ratio box. But that's really not a pressing need. We'll see once I get more miles on the set up.

Good luck with yours. If i can be of any further help - reach out. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:38am
Thanks!
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 6:23pm
okay......few more miles driven today! Prior to my drive I managed to: 

Adjust the valves. They were a little loose but not bad. Motor seems a bit quieter and has some more pep. 

Bled the brakes with my wife's help. Got a better pedal now and it comes to a halt pretty darn quick. still need a minor rod adjustment. 

Clutch adjust - yeah i messed it up last time. So now, it's correct. 

Overall pleased! Although when i got back I discovered quite a bit of gear lube on the skid plate. Not sure where it's coming from. I think it may be input shaft seal. That's a repair I certainly don't feel like doing. 

Lastly i managed to round up 3 sets of seat belts from the stash. I'll see what cleans up best and install a set today or tomorrow. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:10am
Well I think this Jeep needs a companion. So I started to mess around with the trailer I picked up. Thoughts here are matching paint and matching wheels. 

The trailer is a quite original Swiss example. So I'm rather torn about making it into something else. We'll see. I'll decide once i investigate a bit more. It's neither rare or very valuable. So maybe I'm fretting for nothing...

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 6:25pm
Mrs. Nofender and I went on our official first ride. There was a small car show in the next town over. So we packed some chairs and headed over. 

20 mile round trip with barely an hiccup. 

The other night I timed it up via vacuum. It made a huge difference. I also did my valves. Some slight adjustments needed there. She hums along at 40-45 pretty nicely. 

Had a couple slight issues. OD popped out of gear starting from a dead stop, climbing a steep hill. It was in direct drive. Kind of weird. So I'll look at the adjustment rod. I'm leaning towards user error at this point. But will investigate nonetheless. 

I noticed the temp climbing when running flat out. She got up to around 195. While not terrible, it's also not great. I believe i have an airflow issue. As soon as the speed decreases, the temp drops right back to 180. I think the way i mounted the front license plate is the issue. The winch already blocks some airflow. the plate compounds it. Soooo.....I'll see what my options are. 

In any case, we had a real nice morning tooling around in an old Jeep. It drew quite a bit of attention at the show. Several old and new timers stopped to share their Jeep stories. it was a good time!! 

now off to investigate that OD shifter.....just to be sure.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 6:30pm
Just curious, when you adjusted the valves, did you remove the manifolds or work around them? I need to check mine, but I'd prefer not to remove them if possible. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Just curious, when you adjusted the valves, did you remove the manifolds or work around them? I need to check mine, but I'd prefer not to remove them if possible. 

I did not. I did however remove the fender. That made working around the manifolds less of an issue. It wasn't bad at all. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 6:56pm
Thanks, that's good to hear. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 12:52am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

... we had a real nice morning tooling around in an old Jeep.

That's all I saw LOL

Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 1:15am
Is that trailer a Swiss mfgr or is it one of the Cold War Remarketing ones returned to the USA? If it has an ACM number on the frame gusset plate where the LF spring hanger is attached with four bolts, then it isn't a Swiss mfg at all. It is a USA mfg and it would be worthy of a restoration by a WWII MB/GPW owner.

Did it come have a Fulton hitch on it or was it still set up with the lunette on it? Was the lunette a SMALLER version of the large hole one found on WWII USA jeeps?

Did it have the FOUR holes where a data plate would have been on a US trailer?
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by PackRat PackRat wrote:

Is that trailer a Swiss mfgr or is it one of the Cold War Remarketing ones returned to the USA? If it has an ACM number on the frame gusset plate where the LF spring hanger is attached with four bolts, then it isn't a Swiss mfg at all. It is a USA mfg and it would be worthy of a restoration by a WWII MB/GPW owner.

Did it come have a Fulton hitch on it or was it still set up with the lunette on it? Was the lunette a SMALLER version of the large hole one found on WWII USA jeeps?

I"m hoping to get the spring mount off today. It has a lunette - it is the smaller version. The axle has a welded seam in the center and the shock mount are bolt on. I don't think there are any holes where the data plate would normally be. But I'll look. 

If it has value to a military guy, I'd rather sell it and find a TC3. I don't think I want to make a change to a historical piece if someone needs it. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 11:00am
Not much progress on the trailer. I've been rather lazy.....

Now I did fab up a rearview mirror mount. I thought i had a correct mount. But turns out it wasn't even close. So after looking around at some pictures, I made my own. I had no exact measurements. So I took liberties and, well, guessed at the dimensions. I think I mimicked it pretty well. 

Mike generously passed a vintage mirror to me some time ago. This was the compliment to it. Now i just need to source the proper length bolt. The extra length is bugging me. 

Edited by nofender - 06 July 2018 at 2:10pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 12:37pm
That'll fool 90 percent of the people 90 percent of the time Wink

I bought two of Hillbillys repop brackets a couple years back, put them somewhere safe, and have yet to figure out where that was Unhappy... I may resort to homemade as well-  looks good! Thumbs Up

...and remember, I never said WHAT vintage, lol

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by PackRat PackRat wrote:

So....going back to the trailer. I find no evidence of an ACM number. All clues point to this being a Swiss origin trailer. 

Is it a sin to do some mods to make it more useful (tailgate) and make it mimic a TC3? Now that I'm digging into it I'm finding it's very very solid. My thoughts are leaning towards blast/paint/add TC3 tailgate panel/haul stuff. 

Any thoughts on this? 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:16pm
Only an opinion...

Unless one of the MV folks knows better, to me it's a post war clone and you paid too much Wink  Seriously, if it's swiss then to me it doesn't have the panache of a U.S. WWII military or an american made Bantam. It may as well have been made postwar in Taiwan, or Japan, or MD Juan.  It's a good copy.  I can see it maybe having some appeal to an MV collector in Switzerland.

I'd do what you want, but not go all out to conceal what it really is.  I'd hate to see you tailgate an M100, or expedition a TC-3, but I think this one has the bones to make a great compliment to... to...

That thing have a name yet?

(Only an opinion)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 52>