Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 51>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 3:17am
So onward and upward.....or should I say rearward. 

I collected these Dana 44 axles some time ago, along with some misc parts for D44 axles. One axle had a full floater of some sort. I thought that was interesting. So I grabbed it. The axle looks as though it may have been salvaged from the Titanic. But something told me I needed it. I also had a D44 from a failed M38 project. This axle is in great shape. My thoughts were to make the M38 axle into a full floater. 

Found some interesting things!!

The hubs look rough. I was not confident I would find much good here. 

Actually the internals are near mint! The bearings are new. The ring and pinion looks to be very low miles. The spindles are in nice shape as well. 

unique spindles - broached larger and some grooves in the bushings to channel oil I presume. 

Here's the axle shaft collection. I have a set of Warn floaters that are 30 splines on both ends. I'd love to use these. But they won't fit through the spindle. They are beefy! 

The shafts I pulled from the Titanic axle are 19 spline on the inner end and 27 spline on the outer end. I can find no markings on any parts. But my gut tells me this is an early Warn kit. 

Here's the comparison of size. Left to right - 10 spline stock, 19 spline and 30 spline. 

And finally, this interesting inner seal. I can see a part number. So I'll see if i can source it. 

Overall I'm happy with what I've found. The housing is scrap. So I'll strip out the diff and gears and recycle the housing. 

Edited by nofender - 16 Feb. 2019 at 3:19am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 4:25am
No Fender,

I have the sea; numbers, will send tomorrow

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 7:16pm
nofender,

I am currently running a full floater setup from Herm. I needed to replace my inner axle seals, they were metal with no numbers. Herm stated that these seals were custom made and sold for $12.00 ea. I ordered a set and they were black rubber coated plastic double lip. I started to source these. Here is what I found on Amazon.

UXCELL Double Lip Oil Seal, 32mm X 58mm, X 10mm

Inner diameter 32mm, 1.26 in

Outer Diameter 58mm, 2.28 in

Width 10mm, .39in

I am told most seals are measured metricaly nowadays. Thes work perfect and cost less than $5.00

Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

nofender,

I am currently running a full floater setup from Herm. I needed to replace my inner axle seals, they were metal with no numbers. Herm stated that these seals were custom made and sold for $12.00 ea. I ordered a set and they were black rubber coated plastic double lip. I started to source these. Here is what I found on Amazon.

UXCELL Double Lip Oil Seal, 32mm X 58mm, X 10mm

Inner diameter 32mm, 1.26 in

Outer Diameter 58mm, 2.28 in

Width 10mm, .39in

I am told most seals are measured metricaly nowadays. Thes work perfect and cost less than $5.00

Perfect! Thank you sir. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 9:36pm
Both axles are completely torn down. Found a couple surprises. The Titanic axle has 4:10 gears. I was a bit surprised. The date code on the R+P is 1967. The M-38 axle is 5:38. It has 10 spline side gears. Don't know why, but I thought this axle would have 19 spline. 

Anyway, I need to decide what to do. The full floater axles are 19 spline inners. So I can either swap over the 19 spline side gears from the 4:10 carrier. Or I can buy a 19 spline Lock-Rite. The D41 currently under the Jeep has a Lock-Rite. So I would like to keep a locker in it - but I'm being cheap. Did I mention I gave away a 19 spline Lock-Rite last year. It was on the shelf for years collecting dust. Damn it. 

Couple pictures.

Hub from Titanic are too far gone. Off to the scrap man they go. I found some hubs in the hoard, cut the swage and drove the studs out so i could remove the drums.

Housing is straight as an arrow. I decided to get it blasted along with a few misc parts. I'll swing it down to the shop tomorrow. 

And just for fun - the Dana 44 carrier sitting next to it's big brother the Dana 60. It's quite an upgrade in strength! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 9:44pm
You and I are working in parallel, or close to it. Mine is all torn down and the housing is ready to be cleaned and painted. I'm surprised by the 10 spline M38 axle. I may be getting an M38 axle from a buddy next week to scavenge the gears from. I'll check the splines on it.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

You and I are working in parallel, or close to it. Mine is all torn down and the housing is ready to be cleaned and painted. I'm surprised by the 10 spline M38 axle. I may be getting an M38 axle from a buddy next week to scavenge the gears from. I'll check the splines on it.

Someone's been in the axle before. The bearing caps are marked for reassembly. The date code on the ring gear is 1963. Who knows what was broken and replaced over the years. But everything is in fine shape and we can make it work. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 11:58pm
Decided to stick with a rear locker.....for all those awesome offroad adventures I haven't had with this Jeep. Guess I just can't help myself.

Carrier is fully assembled. Picking up the housing from the blast man in the AM. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2019 at 11:07am
Back from blaster. I think everything I need to assemble is either here or on the way. I'm off to Florida for work. I"ll have some hours on a plane to debate running flanges versus lockouts. Hopefully this weekend, when I'm back we can make some progress. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2019 at 11:45am
They look so innocent when they're naked...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

....  I"ll have some hours on a plane to debate running flanges versus lockouts....

You are probably aware of the old-school method for flat-towing with a full-floating rear axle:  remove the drive flange, pull the axle shaft and put the drive flange back on to keep the gear lube in.  Depending on how often you tow that might be enough to not need locking hubs on a rear axle.  (Although I had locking rear hubs on a CJ5 I flat-towed and they sure make it easy!)
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2019 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

....  I"ll have some hours on a plane to debate running flanges versus lockouts....

You are probably aware of the old-school method for flat-towing with a full-floating rear axle:  remove the drive flange, pull the axle shaft and put the drive flange back on to keep the gear lube in.  Depending on how often you tow that might be enough to not need locking hubs on a rear axle.  (Although I had locking rear hubs on a CJ5 I flat-towed and they sure make it easy!)

That's kind of where I'm at. I have a trailer for longer hauls. Flat towing would be occasional at best. So I'm leaning that way......But there's an hour left on this flight and i could change my mind again before i land. LOL!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 12:44am
Been tinkering away this past week. Had a free weekend and got further along on the axle project. 

Dropped the diff back in and checked the pattern. All was acceptable. Used a Lube Locker gasket. I've been using these exclusively on the crawler and have been very happy with them. And they are reusable! 

Got the spindles and shafts cleaned up and mocked into place. 

And lastly, I've decided to run flanges. So I studded what will be the rear hubs. I know bolts on the rear hubs have been problematic for some. So I i figure I may as well just do it right once. The Warn stud kit was nice - but stupid expensive. If I were to do it again, I would just source the hardware myself. I think I could have cut the cost in half. Anyway, it's more of a principal thing than a money thing. 

I've got the Jeep up on stands and have started to disassemble the rear brakes on the D41. Need to move the discs over to the new axle. Can't find my hub puller. And i can't remember who I may have let it to. So I'll need to figure something out.....

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 1:32am
Looks great. Do you use sealer with that lube locker gasket?
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Looks great. Do you use sealer with that lube locker gasket?

No sir. The gasket is infused with silicone. So, there is no need to add any sealant. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 11:55am
Thanks, I may have to get me one.  I'm stalled on my D44 waiting on the gears and rebuild kit from Herm.  But it won't be longBig smile
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 10:41am
Once upon a time.....I would have just picked this axle up off the stands and carried it over to the Jeep and flung it under. Not so much these days. I think I'm getting (or already am) soft....

Anyway - axle is bolted in. Just waiting on the inner seals to arrive. I ordered them without paying much attention to where they would ship from. Yeah......direct from China. Can't seem to get them locally. So I'll just have to wait. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2019 at 1:11pm

Once upon a time.....I would have just picked this axle up off the stands and carried it over to the Jeep and flung it under. Not so much these days. I think I'm getting soft smart....

FIFY Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 51>