Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on these park lights.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WV Outdoorsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on these park lights.
    Posted: 12 May 2013 at 5:01am
Well guy's I got these lights with my 47 and wasn't sure if they were going to be usable on my willys or not. Didn't even know if they were the right ones. But I spent a bit of time looking them over and the holes in the grille and it looks like these must have been the correct ones. When they did the body work on the willys they filled the dang holes in so now I get to drill my shiny new grille but from the inside of the grille you can make out the holes on each side of the light. I put a new bulb in one of them and now both lights light up. I'm thinking I'll just get some new hardware clean these up with a dremel tool and I'll be good to go. If you guy's see anything I'm missing let me know. I have a set of clear lenses and a set of plastic yellow lenses. The glass seems the better option to me.

WVO

Back view

Front view

2012 Jeep Jk
1988 Jeep YJ
1947 Willys CJ2A
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 8:10am
I'm pretty sure those are from a Willys Wagon or Truck, maybe even a Jeepster... but not a stock CJ-2A. Whether or not they will fit, I do not know. If your '2A is a really early '47 you might still need the "bullet lights"; like so: http://walcks4wd.com/cj2a-right-parking-light-up-to.html. I believe the extremely early '47's may have still had those (don't quote me on that though)... anything later than serial number 97740(?) however, you would use the following components: http://walcks4wd.com/bezel-park-light-all-1947-49-m.html, http://walcks4wd.com/lens-parking-light-1947-49-mod.html, http://walcks4wd.com/socket-parking-light-all-1947.html & http://walcks4wd.com/gasket-park-light-1947-53-l-he.html.

Do you have any close up pictures of your grill? It would make it easy to determine which parking lights you need...

Edited by CmK - 12 May 2013 at 8:23am
CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
WV Outdoorsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WV Outdoorsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 12:08pm
Thanks CmK that's exactly why I posted this. There was just something telling me this may or may not be correct. Here is a pic of the right side and the whole grille. From the inside it looks like body filler where they have covered the mounting holes to me. Are they normally two small bolt holes to mount the lights on the left and right side of these parking light holes? I don't even want to think about sinking a drill pit in that new paint until I have and know exactly what I need!!! Thanks!!!

Edited by WV Outdoorsman - 12 May 2013 at 12:10pm
2012 Jeep Jk
1988 Jeep YJ
1947 Willys CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WV Outdoorsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 12:40pm
They also have these listed at Walcks but they don't look like they would work on my cj. Unless they mount on the inside of the grille somehow??? There is a mounting hole for something inside the grille on the fender side. Opinions guys???

2012 Jeep Jk
1988 Jeep YJ
1947 Willys CJ2A
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 1:24pm
Bullet lights wont work with that grill. If you want those you'll have to swap out that grill with a '46. The lights that belong with your grill are:
You would need the lens, gasket and retainer.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 1:25pm
What you have there might be a DJ3A grille and lights. Or just the lights.  I have those particular lights on my 60 and 62 DJ, and have found the same light on some older CJ5 models. I don't thingk anyone sells them aftermarket. Do your lenses screw to the light assembly still or has someone drilled out the original nutsert style deals and added through bolts?

The Walcks light you linked to is for the earlier CJ2A, and mounts on the inside shelf behind the grille. The grille would have a round hole with a flat bottom that  looks very similar to grille holes in the WWII jeeps. (That light is a derivitave of the WWII blackout light.)

What you need for your grille to be "correct"  is the later 2A and 3a light assemblies. If you plan on making functional turn signals you will need to modify the sockets to use a larger bulb, or use a new socket spaced back from the grille. There are several articles online about this, we have one at the 3A page front page.

Or, if those lights already have a 2 filament bulb in them as I suspect they do, just use amber bulbs in them and enjoy your one of a kind jeep!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 1:27pm
Looks like we were posting at the same time.. Don't forget the socket as well. Hopefully the hole in the grille hasn't been enlarged  so it will fit.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 1:44pm
Bill, it looks to me that his hole has been enlarged.  That complicates the installation of the 'original' lamps and bezels.  You can still look 'stock' with enlarged holes, but you will have to do some modifications.  If that is a late 2A grille, the original holes were vertical. 

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 1:57pm
Tim I think you are right. I'd be installing the two filament sockets with spacers if it were mine. WIth all the grilles I have stuffed away in the shed you'd think I would know the size of the original holes but I don't think I even own any that arean't modified somehow. Was the original hole about a half inch or so?

Nice lookin jeep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WV Outdoorsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 3:20pm
Thanks guys for the input and the links. I didn't think something measured up with those lights. I have been looking through Walcks and the Kaiser Willys catalog and they just didn't look right to me compared to the lights on the 2a's you guy's are posting. I'm glad I posted here instead of drilling my grille and moving forward. Thank you guy's for your advice and expertise It's much appreciated!!! I'm addicted to this site:} LOL!!!
WVO
2012 Jeep Jk
1988 Jeep YJ
1947 Willys CJ2A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 3:33pm
I think what you have are park lights for an FC150/170 as they are angled for clearance inside the cab.

MHO, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 3:44pm
There are plenty of grills out there. Decide what look you want and then get the right grill for the job. Me?Big smile I'm partial to the Bullet lights
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 5:50pm
Here is the grille and park light detent (original) from my early '47...

C

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
jsteed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsteed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 6:04pm
Interesting, the walcks site says "This is the parking light lens used on CJ2A 1947-1949 (after serial #97740)". My 47 is serial number 87XXX and I have those same lights. I don't think my grill is a replacement as the underlying paint seems to match the tub.

Edit, just saw the post above, that's pretty convincing that mine was either swapped or modded at some point. 

Edited by jsteed - 12 May 2013 at 6:06pm
Jordan
------------------------------
No you can't play with my toys!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WV Outdoorsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 12:18am
Thanks again guys!!!!

WVO
2012 Jeep Jk
1988 Jeep YJ
1947 Willys CJ2A
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 6:29pm
One more shot of a '45 (includes MB/GPW from earlier) to early-mid '46. Note the mounting plate for the Corcoran-Brown Parking Light housing.

mikewings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikewings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2013 at 11:52pm
Yes and my early '47 86307 also has the bullet lights . Mfg on first qtr 1947.
Mike Willey
Oakland, Maine
1947 CJ2A. SN 86307

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WV Outdoorsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 2:36am
Thanks guys it looks like mine have been drilled out. I guess I'll have to buy the correct ones and modify the way they mount. I don't want to change out my grill.
Thanks again,
WVO
2012 Jeep Jk
1988 Jeep YJ
1947 Willys CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>