Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

original seat fabric?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 6:02pm
Actually, the BOM's do confirm more than one soft top fabric, and we haven't relied on the BOM's, we've used the LOPNS, Tabular listing of fabrics,  and Parts lists also.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 8:42pm
What is the LOPNS?
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Willys Motors Willys Motors wrote:

Actually, the BOM's do confirm more than one soft top fabric...
Argh, I failed to qualified my statement. Embarrassed

I presume you're referring to Slate Gray as the 2nd. fabric?  If so let me rephrase:

"As far as I know, the BOMs do not specify 2 different soft top fabrics for pre-Slate Gray canvas, yet we have 2 confirmed."

Both conform to the only BOM description I'm aware of (for OD canvas), yet they are distinctly different from one another.

And there is a 3rd. (& potentially 4th.) "OD" canvas which does not conform to that BOM description.

Quote ... Barcelona red was added at the same time that Michigan Yellow, Harvard Red, and Princeton Black paint was added. #'s 666577, 666578, 666579. ...
Is there any documented date that can be associated w/Barcelona Red introduction?

Sean
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

What is the LOPNS?

List Of Parts Numerical
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2010 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

What is the LOPNS?

List Of Parts Numerical

Thanks!  List Of Parts Numerical Sequence?  Big smile
Sam

all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2010 at 12:57pm
samples being sent today...
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2010 at 1:19pm
just figured i'd put this out there....the fabric im using for my seatcovers came from a company that was replacing school bus seat covers...i got it all for free when they were swapping out the covers before school started....just a lead for those that want to get fabric (this company was from lynchburg va i think....photo shows the folded under no sunlight piece of fabric i have, school bus seat cover, another willys piece
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2010 at 2:36pm
Looks like a dye job and it would be pretty close to the right stuff, All4jpn.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Willys Motors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2010 at 9:52pm
"I presume you're referring to Slate Gray as the 2nd. fabric?  If so let me rephrase:

"As far as I know, the BOMs do not specify 2 different soft top fabrics for pre-Slate Gray canvas, yet we have 2 confirmed."

Both conform to the only BOM description I'm aware of (for OD canvas), yet they are distinctly different from one another.

You mean this undocumented second OD fabric for pre-Slate canvas?

And there is a 3rd. (& potentially 4th.) "OD" canvas which does not conform to that BOM description.

... Barcelona red was added at the same time that Michigan Yellow, Harvard Red, and Princeton Black paint was added. #'s 666577, 666578, 666579. ...
Is there any documented date that can be associated w/Barcelona Red introduction?

Barcelona Red was introduced at different times for different paint colors. Specific updates are on the post 9/15/47 versions of the BOM's since they radically changed formats.

As far as I know, these were the only CJ2A vinyl period. Note the backing could vary from Sateen to Broken twill. I suspect that "COLONIAL" was a class of texture, because I have observed that original military covers with this spec that may appear different than civilian.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2010 at 4:00pm

...You mean this undocumented second OD fabric for pre-Slate canvas?...
"Undocumented" would not be in the BOM LOL.

I'm referring to #663273.  That is the only description I've heard of for soft-top canvas, though I didn't have the part number before.

663273:  The Landers Corp. 54"-22V-850

Color 30H  Dark Olive Drab

1.22 Duck
  surface bonded to
1.85 Drill

Finish: Vat dyed Duck - Commercial dyed drill

Weight: 38 oz. per lineal yard

Yet we have 3 different fabrics found on original soft-top parts.  2 of the 3 conform the BOM description, but are distinctly different from one another.  The 3rd. does not conform to the BOM description.

The #663272 listed above #663273 in your 1st. graphic, is the same as the #663272 listed in your 2nd. graphic: OD seat cover fabric.

And that is another case of actual seat covers not conforming to the BOM.

The early, short-back, OD rear seat covers are not made from either Sateen or Twill fabric, and do not have any artificial texture at all.  They are a heavier, coarser, plain weave fabric, and the plastic coating simply shows the weave pattern.

Given all the differences found in the wild, I don't believe Willys always adhered to the BOM.  If the need arose, for whatever reason, they would have, and did, deviate from it.

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2010 at 6:03pm
That's an area where we'll have to agree to disagree.

The BOM's were a living document, and if the change isn't in the copy I have, it just means we're missing pages!

Edited by Willys Motors - 07 Dec. 2010 at 7:46pm
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2010 at 7:05pm
WOW! That would take a while to scan!

Do you have any idea how many copies are out there?

Does that cover the entire production run?

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2010 at 7:31pm
I'm figuring one original typed on Onion Skin, 4 or 5 ammonia based blueprint copies, and 4 Xerox copies.

This is less than 1/25 of what's out there that I know of, and I've been negotiating trades for about 15 years to try to assemble a full set as reference. Maybe 'someday' I will be surprised and all the copies that are owed me will arrive...
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2010 at 3:14pm

That's an area where we'll have to agree to disagree.
OK Big smile

Quote The BOM's were a living document, and if the change isn't in the copy I have, it just means we're missing pages!
I'll buy that, and that's why I said that the BOMs can't be considered the "last word".  If the data's incomplete, ya can't draw final conclusion.

Sean
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2010 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by all4jpn all4jpn wrote:

samples being sent today...
Got mine, thank you!

Sean
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2010 at 5:14pm
i know, i am lagging behind, bare with me :)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

... bare with me :)
Uhh, no!  But I will "bear" with you LOL
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2010 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

... bare with me :)
Uhh, no!  But I will "bear" with you LOL
You are a bear to bare his error. Embarrassed
Sam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>