Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original VS Repo solid rims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original VS Repo solid rims
    Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:27pm
OK I'll edit this as time goes by and add pictures.

I have four original Kelsey Hayes solid disc rims, One is pitted pretty bad on the inside on the rivets. So bad that I didn't trust using it but for a spare.

I bought a Repo solid disc rim just released from MD Juan, I asked lots of questions before I spent the $175 + shipping.

I was told it's very close to the originals but lacked the 45 degree angle on the inside.

I needed one so I accepted the fact that it's a little different, When it arrived I compared it to my originals and was not very pleased.

One major thing that got me was that the outside dia. is 17 1/4" and the original is 17 1/2" Also the offset is different by almost a 1/4"

The next big thing was the K/H "ring" where the lug nut holes are isn't as defined as the originals.

It weighed in at 17 lbs. 6 oz.  compared to the original at 20 lbs. 8 oz.

From a few feet it should be hardly noticeable Confused

Like I said I'll post some photos when I'm finished restoring the originals, they just got skim coated and sanded today.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2007 at 8:02pm
I think the repops are designed to replace the slat grille  solid wheels on the MB and only just happen to look kinda like the solid civvie wheels so theymarket them to the 2A guys as well. I wonder how close they would be to a slat grille solid?

I'm glad I have a full set of 5 originals for my Column shift.. I haven't compared my original civvie spare I got in VA to the solids that came with it yet (something about the jeep being in NY and me in TX...)but it looked correct when I picked it up..
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2007 at 9:03pm
the Slat guys where upset that the repop's are 4.5 and not 4" .  MD Juan used an "off the shelf" outer 4.5 rim and put in the K/H repo centers. They should have done the R&D and repo'd the outer rim too.

Edited by trader_reed - 30 July 2007 at 9:03pm
kittythejeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kittythejeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 6:08am
From everything i have read and my own experience, MD Jaun is a purveyor of steel fertilizer and honestly, I don't care if I ever get anything from them again.  My feeling is that once and item has been purchased from them it has performed the role for which it was made, namely to sell to a gringo and get his money.  nuff said.
John
 Post Reply Post Reply