Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

our 49 61 wagonpickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff in the up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: our 49 61 wagonpickup
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2009 at 2:15pm
around 1968 or 69   my mom's uncle from Chicago while towing a 61 or so willys 4x4 wagon p to the up to his cottage, lost it and it rolled several times.  it was a nice low mileage wagon. he got it back on its wheels and brought it anyway. at the cabin they took an axe and chopped  through the window posts and made a woods buggy out of it.   My dad need a truck and he knew where there was a late 40's willys 2x4 pickup.  so he sent my uncle a letter about the wagon. I have the reply in my jeep stuff. basically my uncle sold it to him for $1 and a bottle of booze.  we hauled both units home. the truck had an F head 6 in it  and my brother and I got it running.  (wish I had it today). we didn't have a garage at that time so we worked on it in the back yard.  with no jeep experience instead of moving the axles and drive line we put the cab  etc. on top the wagon frame.  in the process we learned that the wagon was shorter and narrower in the box area.  it took the whole summer. we used everything from the wagon  my dad welded the center of the dash into the truck so the speedo etc would fit. ( i always hated the way the dash  looked). He traded and we got a konig winch for it.  when it was completed and painted we started driving it. then we discovered that all 4 wheels had been bent in the wreck. for the entire time we had it you could see the wobble in the wheels. we drove this truck for close to 20 years. i last saw it at the local wrecking yard in line for the crusher.(wish I had saved it).  I guess Jeeps are in my blood  Mom's dad had a cj when we were small. it didn't have a tail gate but I can't remember a glove box. when he bought it from the REA he offered to go partners with my dad. his half time was summer   and my dad could have it in the winter.  it didn't have a top so may dad thought that was not the best deal.
Jeff in the up
14 rusty CJ2A's. Honest Honey They all Followed me home
Half way across the UP
 Post Reply Post Reply