Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Patches"- another WWII tribute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by CJ2A-CT CJ2A-CT wrote:

John, That light came out great. Have you tested it yet? 

Blinkers and stop are working but no running lights which means I'm chasing a groundjbgissue. I just put them on the trailer this morning. I will report back.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 7:37pm
Figured it out.
I failed to recess the LED panel into the housing far enough and the solder on the circuit board was grounding out on the metal face of the light case.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 9:15pm
Great build thread keep up the good work!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 10:11pm
Interested in a picture of the light while illuminated.. Looking for how bright the LED's work and whether its sufficient for normal driving.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 2:14am
They are pretty bright, this is just the running lights.

CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 2:23am
Thanks, Exactly what I'm looking for.... Any info on the circuit board would be appreciated..
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 4:16am
Originally posted by CJ2A-CT CJ2A-CT wrote:

Thanks, Exactly what I'm looking for.... Any info on the circuit board would be appreciated..

Sorry for the delay but my internet sucks and has been down all day.
I just used Barbour freight lights and cut them out of the housing. I used a dremel along the seam then a screw driver to pry it apart.
I can see now in the left tail light I need to rotate it counter-clockwise to get the LED lights lined up better.
Keep the red lens, you cut it to replace the rectangular blackout lense.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 2:27pm
No pictures this time but I just picked up a trashed frame for $50 but it came with some important pieces I need: the tranny skid plate, the V brace for the Pinter hook/tow hitch, plus an original front bumper that will need some cutting, beating and welding but that's okay. I might even leave a bit of the bends to add character.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 5:11am
I went over to Dan's place today to see if a rim I had would fit his rig. It didn't. Of course, we talked jeeps as long as I could stay.

He gave me a rundown on the work he's done on this thing, but I have to tell you he totally downplayed what he's done. I just read through the thread and I'm floored with what he's accomplished.

This jeep looks great, it's solid, and it's getting close to running down the road. Now this isn't a trailer queen or a show stopping restoration. I have a lot of respect for the guys that do that, but it's just not my thing - unless we're talking about specific historic vehicle like CJ2-29. 

I prefer the vehicles that can run down the road as a daily driver, trails within reason, and come back with hard-earned character marks. Dan is really close to hitting this, and reliably. He's fabbed a ton of parts for this outside the body work he's done, and made a lot of reliability/modernization modifications - all of which are subtle and tasteful.

Dan's goal is a WWII tribute, and all it needs is some trail dust to be complete. A LOT of people go crazy building 'off-the-assembly-line' WWII rigs - everything has to be just as the Army specified and the factory delivered. As ex-Army, I can tell you that 'off-the-line' correctness goes right out the window as soon as a GI gets their hands on it. Whether it's a field expedient mod, or repair that happens outside the motorpool, or swapping on better parts from a totally different rig. It doesn't take long for each military vehicle to somehow be different from all the rest. Helmuth von Moltke said "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." Similarly, "No Military vehicle specification survives contact with a GI". My M113A1 had a stereo patched into the intercom, and I've personally turned several duces and five-tons into rolling swimming pools. Nuff said about that.

Dan, I have a couple of leads on finding a rim - I don't have anything that will fit. A shop in Ellensburg, WA has 11 of them. I'm checking on costs and shipping. 

If you need any help getting Patches ready for the Car d'Alene show, let me know. I've missed the Athol Days show two years running and it's depressing to miss a goal. As soon as I have a clutch I should be able to start getting Ironsides back together and drivable. I'd love to hit the Forest Service roads with you.

Les

Edited by LesBerg - 25 Mar. 2017 at 5:40am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 7:16am
I think you got me confused with one of the other tribute builds dude. I do intend to leave some dents and dings in this though, it'll be driven and used and maybe slightly abused off-road.

I spent 12 years in the USAF so I definitely know what you mean about vehicles and their changes. When I painted the lights for my M416 trailer I didn't sand them all the way smooth, I knocked off most loose paint then rattle can sprayed the design on the cases, overspray and soft lines included. Joe doesn't care how stuff gets fixed because it's function over form eight days a week.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 4:11pm
2t2, thats funny! Then we have two jeeps named 'Patches' and you're both headed the same direction. I feel like a fool, because the member info on the left clearly states you're out of Tacoma. I didn't even look. Embarrassed

Even so, you have a sweet jeep and it's looking great.

Les
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2017 at 7:03am
The first real sunny day here in the PNW found me working on on the frame. I need to transplant the hitch V-brace from the donor frame to my original one which had. It's brace cut off for some reason.
I need to figure out how the hell im going to bolt this sucker in because I'm not buying a rivet kit or messing with rivets.

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 12:30am
I just bought a front right quarter panel on Amazon for $94... score!
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 6:07am
Crap. My passenger side floor is at an angle and there's a 3/4" gap between the floor and the bottom of the brace that goes floor to dash inside that quarter panel.
Here's the body level at the door openings

Here's the floor

Now to figure out how the hell I am going to fix this.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 2:53am
Now that my Uncle's Bronco is fixed and out of my way it's back to the Willys.
The front right floor was cut at the forward end, bashed and beat till it lifted up and closed the gap to the quarter panel's edges, then welded in place. I've been using metal infused body filler to smooth it out and make the seams more of a roll than a sharp edge. I plan on using either bed liner or rough textured pain on the floors so it doesn't need to be smooth. This was the first coat, the second was sanded better.

Primed.

Now for an it more around the transmission opening to smooth out bubba's repairs and then put on the quarter panel.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 12:47am
And I now have a quarter panel tacked in!

And put the other step in so I can stop tearing myself up on the floor brace corner.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:44pm
The next step has been completed: shovel and axe indents!
I put the axe indent as a split piece vs two overlapping ones in order to add strength to the area. Now all I need is to smooth it a bit more and use body filler to make it look good.
Now to extract the broken bolt from the intake manifold.

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2017 at 7:29am
well photobucket can eat a fat one!
I've gotten more work done on her as I tackled some of the frame. Both forks were replaced with ones from a frame that had been T-boned but had intact front end. There was a LOT of steel to cut off. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>