Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pedal Cross Tube Skid Plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 2:20pm
Looks like using angle iron like in jpets first drawing,but go past the cross member and make the rear just like the front. 

That way when you run over a shopping cart in reverse you don’t get hung up. Wink
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2018 at 11:57pm
I’m still thinking about this.
If I use a design something like Jeff has drawn up, how thick do you think the bottom plate would need to be so that if it takes a direct hit it won’t mash up against the end of the clutch pedal and bind it up?

Would 1/4 inch hold up?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 12:41am
Personally I would be happy with using 1/4. May even be a little overkill? Unless you plan on becoming a maniac on the rocks
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 1:08am
I would think 1/4" would be plenty especially if they span between mounting points is small. 1/4" is heavier than the frame, cross member, and skid plate....so if will probably bend that other stuff first. Cool
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 1:17am
1/8" minimum thickness may suffice if it's got strong gussetng. 
Personally I'd opt for gusseted 3/16" thickness with minimal gussets as required.
It really needs to slide on back past the crossmember with ramps at either end.

Bad thing is your adding more weight to the jeep..... And the slippery slope...............
At some point one begins to consider that an all out frame modification (homade design) is the answer.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 1:29am
Slippery slope is right. I don’t really want to modify anything, but I’m getting tired of fixing the cross tube and straightening out the cross member. If I can figure out some sort of bolt on armor for the thing I’m going to do it.
I’m trying to lose enough belly fat so I don’t rub the steering wheel any more. If I’m successful it should compensate for the extra weight of a slider.  Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 1:49am
Over the past few years  I decided to take a  joy ride down that "slippery slope".
But I set definite limits for what I can and what I can not do.
So far my build stipulations have provided me with VERY satisfying results.
Your build parameters are obviously different and somewhat more stringent than mine.
That makes it very fun for us to read about your adventures as your limits are quit restrictive..

Edited by oldtime - 07 Feb. 2018 at 1:53am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 3:03pm
I bought the supplies and started on the cutting and fitting of this slider/skid plate. 
I'm going to move the pictures and description of the actual fabrication over to my build thread, page 18. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

change the back mount to connect as you described

I like that. Where can I order one??
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

change the back mount to connect as you described

I like that. Where can I order one??

Mine are custom made by me and you don't have enough money for me to make some for you. And if I did make you some you would thing the welding was done by my 8 year old grandson.  Smile

Check my build thread for details. They look a little bit different that jpets drawing, but same idea.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12