Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photo bucket hosting.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 12:45am
I am a PLUS 100 member on photobucket. $99 per year. I have used 90 gigs of my 110 GB space. This site only offers 500 MB. No way can I keep all my media on the user space. I wish we had our own server. Something where sub folders can be created.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 7:31pm
I don't have anything in the cloud that I would mind losing, I put anything I want to keep on an external hard drive (when I remember that is). Then I use Dropbox to post stuff and move things around, I clean out Dropbox once in a while so I can still use the free version.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 7:46pm
I have tried linking dropbox pics to the forum.  Doesn't seem to work.  can you link this one?  the IMG braces don't work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ki3c6khdoz1sl/Photo%20Aug%2001%2C%208%2046%2008%20AM.jpg?raw=1

Edited by russnj - 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:21pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:32pm
My phone opened that link but my tablet won't so you did it right, I'll have to try my computer. I usually don't bother creating links I just use the upload image function (the little picture of the tree with an arrow pointing up). You have to make sure the images are the right size though, I open the photo I want to post in a resizing app and save it 600x800 and save it to the Dropbox folder I use for that purpose. That way you don't have to change camera settings all the time, just resize them when needed, no where near as complicated as it sounds, only takes seconds. From there just click the upload image icon and select what you want from Dropbox. It works for me and I'm no IT wizard. I'm on Verizon with a Samsung S5, some things just don't seem to work well across different platforms.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:38pm

I just copied this from your post on my tablet and reposted it, see if it works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ki3c6khdoz1sl/Photo%20Aug%2001%2C%208%2046%2008%20AM.jpg?raw=1
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:41pm
dropbox only stores files, they do not host them.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:42pm
Hi Leecarr,

.... I don't want a working link to the photo.  I want the image to appear on the thread.

I have looked through your posts and I don't see any place where you have posted a picture from dropbox.  Can you direct me please?

This picture is 800x600:

show me how to link it so that the picture shows up in this thread ..... not the url link.

Thanks.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:43pm
If you create a link you don't have to resize it but the way I do it the image appears directly in the post, just preference and I find it easier than creating a link.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:44pm
... show me
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 8:56pm
I'll have to figure out how to take a screen shot on my tablet, are you using a camera or a cell phone for taking pictures? I take pictures, resize them and save them to Dropbox all on my phone then I use the tablet or pc to post them because of the bigger screen, I have Dropbox on all 3 devices so it's easy. All the images I've posted on this forum have been directly from Dropbox. I really don't understand what photo hosting is actually.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 9:03pm
Jpet,'
I believe leecarr is using his Dropbox photo link and simply uploading it to the 2A server, then sizing and embedding it into his post. 

For obvious reasons, I been researching this stuff pretty heavily.  I don't think it's possible to use Dropbox as a 3rd party host.  If possible, let us all in on your secret.  I would love to know.

Tim  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

I'll have to figure out how to take a screen shot on my tablet, are you using a camera or a cell phone for taking pictures? I take pictures, resize them and save them to Dropbox all on my phone then I use the tablet or pc to post them because of the bigger screen, I have Dropbox on all 3 devices so it's easy. All the images I've posted on this forum have been directly from Dropbox. I really don't understand what photo hosting is actually.

I don't understand what difference it makes if it was taken with you phone, tablet or whatever.  The photo resides in Dropbox. storage  If Dropbox does what you say it does, you should be able to take the link that I provided in my post and make that picture appear on the screen.

This image is 448x336 and is stored in my user space here on the forum.

... here is a link to the same photo in my Dropbox:

... its well small enough.  Show me how you can make this Dropbox image appear in the thread like the above pic.

Send me a link to another forum or wherever you have successfully done this.  I can't find and example on this forum.

Thanks

Edited by jpet - 11 Aug. 2017 at 9:07pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Jpet,'
I believe leecarr is using his Dropbox photo link and simply uploading it to the 2A server, then sizing and embedding it into his post. ...
I think you are right ... but you can still do that with photobucket.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Jpet,'
I believe leecarr is using his Dropbox photo link and simply uploading it to the 2A server, then sizing and embedding it into his post. ...
I think you are right ... but you can still do that with photobucket.

I don't believe the photobucket link works anymore when added to the 2A server...for us "free subscribers".  I had my avatar loaded that way and it disappeared.  Had to load it from my hard drive directly to the 2A server to get it back.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 9:21pm
As you've stated before, the 2A server doesn't catalog added photos.  It makes it very difficult to use if you're a picture heavy poster.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 10:05pm
..... exactly. When you upload a pic from you phone, the image gets a meaningless name such as IMG_9999.jpg. At least on a photo sharing site, you can create sub folders such as FCT_2017. This way you know where to look for photos of the 2017 FCT even though the names of the jpegs are non descriptive. The 2A page user storage just lumps everything together and you have to give each image a descriptive name to even have a chance of finding it again in the future
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 1:34am
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 1:54am
In your previous post this shows up twice one is black and one is blue, the black one does nothing, the blue one opens up the picture.
https://www.dropbox.com/home/2017%20rubicon?preview=BAM+BAMsmall.jpg
This one shows up purple and brings up another window but the picture won't open, this is on my tablet.
My computer does the same except when I click on the BAM+BAMsmall.jpg it opens my Dropbox page. I know this works for me but I have no idea how but I'm going to try and figure it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>