Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photo bucket hosting.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 2:00am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

.....All the images I've posted on this forum have been directly from Dropbox. I really don't understand what photo hosting is actually.
Hi leecarr,  show me one of these photos where have you posted a photo directly from Dropbox?  Just show me where you have successfully done this and I will follow the example. Thanks. 
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 2:13am

I clicked the upload image icon, it says select image, open the Dropbox folder and select one then click ok. This is on my tablet, I am doing the same thing at the same time on my computer but the procedure is completely different. What are you doing it on? The image doesn't show up while typing the message but it shows up once it is posted.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 2:25am
I think you are misunderstanding what we are trying to do here.

That picture is stored in your user alocated space:

That photo is not referenced from your Dropbox.  In a nutshell, you are uploading photos from your Dropbox and storing them in you user space which is only 500MB. ... i.e. you have to have 2 copies of every image.  One in Dropbox and an identical copy here in your user storage.  In this case, Dropbox is no better than photobucket because you can also upload photobucket pictures to you user space  This is not what we are trying to do....

... With photobucket, before the changes, you could link a picture in photobucket directly to a thread and you did not have to upload a copy of the photo into your 500 MB of user space....  This gives you 5 GB of space, not 500 MB.

I have over 92 GB of photos posted on this forum so 500 MB of user space is no where near large enough for all my photos.

Make sense now?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 2:35am
Makes sense now, I told you I wasn't sure how this works and that explains why there were 2 copies of every picture. That's just the way I always did it.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2017 at 2:36am
That's cool.  I understand now too
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2017 at 7:36pm
Thought I'd put this up here, may help someone.
www.thebalance.com/top-free-image-hosting-websites-1357014
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2017 at 8:00pm
I gave up on Photobucket around a year ago. Probably why I haven't posted a photo in all that time. They were messed up back then and I am not going to pay the ransom .
I keep getting email from them about things I should buy from them. F)ck off. there is nothing I want to deal with them for. You have already shot yourself in the foot.
Do I sound like an angry person?
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 3:47am
Tell us how you really feel. LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Mike Gardner Mike Gardner wrote:

I spoke with Alen at Photobucket. There aren't really any options other than spend $400. He was very helpful. Obviously he doesn't make the rules. 

How were you able to talk to a human at photobucket?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2017 at 9:39pm
I have no idea how to delete my pics and close my Photobucket account. 
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 12:07am
jeff, I submitted a request. I left a email and we spoke via email. 
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 10:59pm
OK gents, I have some questions for you. I'm a web/database developer and I might be able to build a solution or two.

First, the questions to the general user base:
Would you rather host your pictures in your user space here on theCJ2Apage or on an internet server that would be built for the specific purpose of hosting third-party images?

If you opted for a server other than here (so you could use pictures in other places as well), there are other questions:

What features would you expect from the picture hosting service (see below* for some initial ideas I have)?

No one likes ads, but that's how many internet servers pay the bills. There are a couple ways I could do this, and unfortunately it's similar to what Photobucket is doing:

Option 1) Some small bit of 'free' storage with ads on the page. No ads for subscription users, and how much the subscription costs is dependent on how much space you use.

Option 2) Everyone pays based on how much space they use.

If you opted for hosting here at the CJ2A page:

Would you be willing to chip in on operational costs, whether on a one-time basis or periodically, as needed/determined by RussNJ?

Second, questions specifically for RussNJ:
Is it possible for you to host a crap-ton of images? I know there are other hurdles, but I assume adding storage for everyone's pictures won't be cheap.
Umm. Never mind. I think you already addressed that:
You gave us 500MB of storage with a max file size of 10MB. That's 50 maximum sized pictures. I think most of us are uploading files much smaller than that.
My largest is about 800Kb, averaging about 300Kb, so I could drop about 1700 pictures in that space. I don't think we'll need more.

what are your thoughts on adding a file manager if there is one or I can build one? I'm hoping that this is a 'modular' forum software package.

Current Ideas/specifications for either solution:
* Non-CJ2A hosted service:
  • Be able to organize pictures into 'collections' based on the forums you belong to.
  • Each collection could be configured for the maximum limits of the forum it's meant for - Maximum width, height, and image type (jpg, png, gif, etc.)
  • By default, picture links for each collection would be automatically resized and saved as the appropriate type, with the option to customize if you wanted it smaller than the max allowed.
  • You would be able to add the same picture to multiple collections.
  • You could download all or part of your picture library at any time as a zip file (or whatever other compressed file type) with the pictures still meeting the specifications for each 'collection'.

Picture Storage right here at theCJ2Apage:

I can look into how this forum software stores files and see if there is either

a) a file manager plugin that will let you sort files

or

b) see if I can develop a plugin that will allow managing files in a way that makes sense.

The most difficult part of either solution will be figuring out if/how we can manage to create a solution that will automatically replace image links so that everyone that moves pictures doesn't have to edit every post they've ever posted a picture in. Making this possible will be far harder than developing either of the above solutions. I promise.

(EDIT)

There may be a way to create a 'file manager' that gives the user the appearance of putting them in folders or tying them to threads, but does not change the actual location of the file. This would result in the user seeing the files in a manageable order, but would not break picture links to any CJ2A hosted images already used in posts.

Edited by LesBerg - 20 Aug. 2017 at 11:27pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 8:42pm
update, not sure how well known this is at this point...

Can't take credit, but look here if you use google chrome:

www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/how-to-save-your-photobucket-images-and-preserve-threads.126279/

Updated link in post #7... "Photobucket embed fix"... it's basically an extension you load into google chrome which allows you to see previously embedded PB pics instead of the "please update your account to enable third party hosting" placeholder that has shredded so many threads.

I can only report it worked for me no issues at work...I'll be doing it again at home tonight.  It's a temporary fix that allows you to see the pics, no more, but is helpful if there are threads you want to pdf, or otherwise save even if just to see what pics go in what order if and when you want to salvage them from another hosting site.

FYI, no warranty expressed or implied

(it obviously only works if the pics havent been deleted from PB...)

Edited by mbullism - 25 Sep. 2017 at 8:46pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234