Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 7:31pm
After internet searching, I purchased a power steering shaft for a CJ7 to replace mine. It will get rid of the rag joint and severely worn out u-joint.

I'm also thinking about driving this thing to Ohio next year to visit. Just pre-planning stages with nothing set in stone.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 7:33pm
thanks for the quick reply!

Now need to confirm the same for 72-73 too.

My Wagon has a 57" rear axle wms to wms so trying to stay as close to this measurement as possible.

63-72 Wagoneers are 57"
73 Wagoneers are 57.3 frt & 57.5 rr
74-75 Cherokee 58.8 frt & 57.8 rr

Also QuadraTracs keep the offset D44 rear which I would need for the Spicer 18 t/c.

So you never know what might pop up on a part out.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

thanks for the quick reply!

Now need to confirm the same for 72-73 too.

My Wagon has a 57" rear axle wms to wms so trying to stay as close to this measurement as possible.

63-72 Wagoneers are 57"
73 Wagoneers are 57.3 frt & 57.5 rr
74-75 Cherokee 58.8 frt & 57.8 rr

Also QuadraTracs keep the offset D44 rear which I would need for the Spicer 18 t/c.

So you never know what might pop up on a part out.

No problem Art!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 4:17am
Dude congrats on the calendar spot!!
That’s awesome can’t wait to get mine. Clap
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 5:06am
Congrats and Welcome to the Calendar Club!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 4:47am
Read that a power steering shaft from a CJ7 is a replacement for the oil soaked rag joint one in my Cherokee. So I purchased one. The u-joint in my Jeep was also worn out.

Received my CJ7 steering shaft yesterday, took it to work and wire wheeled it.

After my 10 minute walk home, I grabbed my tools and headed back outside and after a little bit the one in the Cherokee was out.

Here they are in my living room LOL ( If you follow "My '47" build thread, you will recognize that this is the same exact spot where I rebuilt my transfer case)

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 4:54am
As you can see there is a length difference. 

Good news is that everything looks like it will go together, once shortened. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 6:11pm
Yesterday I was able to get the shaft to slide together. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 6:19pm
After work I went to put it in the Jeep. My steering gear box had a piece that extended past the splines. The new shaft won't go over this. Saw a dowel pin, thought that was holding it in. Removed dowel pin and it still would not move. 

What I should have done first was look at a schematic of the gear box. I would have noticed that the extended piece actually runs through the center of the splines all the way in the box. AngryEmbarrassed Learn something new everyday. 

So tonight I will put the dowel back in and with the work Sawzall, that I will borrow, I will cut that piece off. 

Note: It is not leaking, that is penetrating oil sprayed all over it, since my guess is the old shaft has not been off in 40 plus years.

mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2017 at 1:51am

Dennis how much will that new shaft  collapse compared to the old shaft once it is install. That movement is suppose to keep the steering wheel from harpooning you in a front end collision.

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2017 at 3:48am
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Dennis how much will that new shaft  collapse compared to the old shaft once it is install. That movement is suppose to keep the steering wheel from harpooning you in a front end collision.

I think there is about 4-5 inches more for it to be pushed in.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 1:40am
The CJ7 steering shaft is now in. There is about 5-6 inches of travel left in case of a collision. 

Now the bad news. Because my dumb self took out that dowel pin and proceeded to twist what I thought was a pointless extension on the gear box, I now need a rebuild or replacement gear box. AngryEmbarrassedCensored

As soon as I started the Jeep up, the steering wheel automatically turned to the right all the way and still wanted to go more. 

Sigh. Live and learn. I'll never make this mistake again.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 3:03am
That's a bummer Dennis. What the heck does that thing do?
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 8:57am

That's a bummer Dennis. What the heck does that thing do?

That is a good question. LOL 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 12:13pm
That controls the spool valve that determines whether to provide power assist left or right.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

That controls the spool valve that determines whether to provide power assist left or right.

And of course I broke it! I'm going to try and find a used one and maybe attempt to rebuild this one.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2017 at 2:14am
Was that steering box just used in your year of Cherokee or were they used in a bunch of other rigs?  If you find one down my way let me know if I can help with logistic at all.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 3:30am

Was that steering box just used in your year of Cherokee or were they used in a bunch of other rigs?  If you find one down my way let me know if I can help with logistic at all.

From what I could find, a few different boxes have been used in the Wagoneer/Cherokee history.

I was lucky enough that the welding instructor has a parts Cherokee that I think is a '76 or '78. I emailed him and he said I could take what I need. He is only going to use the axles.

So today I drove to the main campus, where I work, to get the key for the gate at the off campus location. It is maybe 10 minutes away.  10 minutes later I am there and removing parts.

I took the power steering box, hoses, pump and bracket. I also finally removed the rear side vented windows. If I can ever find the rubber molding these will go on my Cherokee. After I tint them of course!

Brought it all home and cleaned all the glass and brackets. Been sitting awhile. Mold and moss on the glass. Dirt and grime on the brackets.

Tomorrow I will remove my box and switch them out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>