Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:23am
Woke up, got out of bed and I don't own a comb. LOL

So I removed the power steering pump and put on the used one only to see the input shaft was too small for steering shaft. Angry

Figures.

Yesterday I tried to remove the steering shaft from the parts Jeeps but it was rust to the steering column and I thought I don't need it! LOL Wrong! 

So today I went back to the parts Jeep, with my lovely girlfriend, and removed the steering shaft.

We then went on a hike.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:44am
Photo taken of the parts Jeep by my girl friend Louise.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:48am
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 5:57am
So to continue the story...

After our hike and lunch we drove back home and I then removed the CJ7 steering shaft that was just put on the Cherokee. I then put the parts Jeep shaft in. 

I now have a Jeep I can once again drive, using the rag jointed shaft of a stock 70's AMC Jeep that I was trying to get rid of. Embarrassed 

Sigh. One step forward.... 

I will not let this beat me. I will disassemble the box I removed from my Jeep and see what I damaged inside.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 7:12am
I had a message typed out that involved a woman, her dog and a pizza. I decided it wasn't worth sending. Enjoy your life
uncamonkey
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I had a message typed out that involved a woman, her dog and a pizza. I decided it wasn't worth sending. Enjoy your life

Confused.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 8:27pm
Deciphered the VIN today on my parts Jeep. It is a 1978 Cherokee Chief with a 360 4 bbl. 001293 built that year, so it is an early '78.

This doesn't really matter, I just like knowing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 9:04pm
I'm sorry if I confused you but sometimes I need to type stuff out to clear my brain. Then I proof read and decide to send it off or not. I decided that wasn't worth sending. (The dog did love the Pizza crusts)
uncamonkey
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 9:08pm
Let us have fun!

From bjsoffroad.com ( They deal with FSJ's)

1974-76 = 13/16 Inch Input Shaft.
1977-91 = 3/4 Inch Input Shaft.

What they sell.

Steering boxes are:        71-76; 77-79; 80-91

Steering shaft coupler w/rag joint: 74-76; 77-91

Steering shaft stock replacement: 74-91

Steering shaft Heavy duty:    74-76; 77-91

O'Reilly's, Napa, and Autozone sell rebuild kits. Only O'Reilly's list these for "With 13/16 Inch Input Shaft"

All of them say the rebuild kit is the same for a '74 and '78. Unless they include everything for the different boxes, I hope.

This is me thinking out loud.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I'm sorry if I confused you but sometimes I need to type stuff out to clear my brain. Then I proof read and decide to send it off or not. I decided that wasn't worth sending. (The dog did love the Pizza crusts)

I do like pizza.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 9:36pm
I did have a roommate that was the regional manager for a few pizza joints so he would bring home the bad deliveries. Who in their right mind orders a plain cheese pizza? I quit eating pizza after a few weeks. The company did do a whole wheat crust pizza if you ordered it that way.
uncamonkey
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 3:16am
Thanks for all the steering box info. May come in handy on my wagoneer. 
I need to update my thread... but can’t figure out how to post pics from I-phone without  photo bucket Ouch
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 6:24pm
Completely tore down the power steering box. Need to find a schematic of how it is suppose to look. 
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 6:33pm
 My wife got me a calendar for Christmas... we opened presents this morning.

HOLY TOLEDO!!!

AWESOME CHEROKEE PIC!!!!

Merry Christmas 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2017 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

My wife got me a calendar for Christmas... we opened presents this morning.

HOLY TOLEDO!!!

AWESOME CHEROKEE PIC!!!!

Merry Christmas 

Embarrassed Thank you so much! Merry Christmas to you as well.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 10:11pm
Removed the tire carrier to mount it better. Rattles to much. Also painted it.  Looks better now with less rust LOLCry

Taking a pizza/ paint drying break at the moment.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 4:30am
Cleaned up the tire carrier. It was held by screws in the middle and top. I added bolts and spacers in the middle section. 

This is how the carrier naturally sits. It has 3 screws here before.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 4:33am
Bolts coming through the back and bolted. Don't have a picture of it but I have nylon spacers that I drilled to fit over the nuts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>