Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Decided to replace the exhaust manifold. Surprising to me, all the bolts came out! Already have the new one in, just hide to find torque specs. There was also no exhaust gaskets on the old one Confused

The factory did not use exhaust manifold gaskets at the cylinder head.
Simply metal-to-metal contact.

I did not know this. I just looked through the manual and you are correct. Both surfaces machined smooth to eliminate the need for a gasket.
 Embarrassed

Oh well. LOL
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 12:54am
Went out to check it again with a cold motor and it is running like crap now. Angry

Adjusted the cold idle and warmed it up. Went for a drive but it seems to have a weird miss going on. Of course it is also raining now... sigh.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 5:44pm
Think I "fixed" the problem. The plug wires I was running was confusing the Pertronix. LOL I missed the part in the instructions that said:

Quote Solid core wires have a copper or stainless steel conductor and generate excessive Electromagnetic Interference (EMI). This EMI can create confusion with electronics and ultimately damage them. With all PerTronix ignitions we recommend that a suppression style spark plug wire (also called carbon core) be used. The suppression wires do an excellent job of controlling the EMI with no degradation to the ignition performance.

Went to NAPA and bought some O.E. ones and everything is good. Just need to fine tune the Carburetor so it finds its happy place.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 10:57pm
Getting frustrating trying to tune this thing! It will be great but 8 hours later not. Next day it is good again.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 5:52pm
Seems I have got it running at a somewhat happy spot.

On April 1st there was a vintage toy show in Vancouver Washington about 90 miles away. I was going to take my girlfriends Liberty because it is quieter, more comfortable, gets better gas mileage... but it is acting up. So rather then chance it I took the Cherokee!

Loaded up my tool box and went to the gas station to put in $60 of fuel. Had .50 cents off, so paid $1.99 a gallon Big smile and away I went! ( Also the attendant told me of a full size Jeep pickup his parents are about to scrap so I may see if anything is usable for me)

The drive was not too bad. The only thing is I really need an alignment and tire balance. Speedometer starts jumping around at 45 MPH so I guessed about how fast I was really going. On the way back I install a GPS speed on my phone.  When I thought I was doing 70 I was really going about 62ish.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 6:17pm
Leaving town.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 6:18pm
About to cross over into Longview Washington

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 6:21pm
My score from the toy show. 2 Jeeps and a Unimog.

I did better at the Toys r us 2 miles from the show.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 6:26pm
Only paid $21. For those. $3 to get in the show.

On the way home I hit this mileage....

Yes I was driving but I took about 10 pictues in row and saved the less blurry one. I just got off the highway too.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 11:05pm
Picked up some LED headlights.

Before with the Hella conversion a previous owner did.

After, so far.

Still need to adjust them tonight after work.

Had to modify the holders a little, hopefully worth it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 8:01am
Oh my goodness! Such an improvement. I knew they would be but more then I thought they would be.  This is also only based on the about 1/2 mile drive from work to my apartment.LOL

I have pictures on my phone but it is charging and on the other side of the room. I don't feel like getting up to get it. Tongue So pictures later.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 8:05am
This Jeep hates me! LOL :banghead:

Drove to work ( All of maybe 1 mile ) It is all up hill too. Running fine until I was about to pull into work. Had to wait for on coming traffic, as soon as it was clear I press the gas pedal and it dies. Restart it, put it in gear and it does it again, and again. 2 cars drove around me, then the Sheriff behind me left me enough room and I put it in neutral and coast back and to the curb. Sheriff pulls along side, asks if I need any help. Tell him I'll be fine so he drives off and 6 more cars drive by.

I start it up again but no matter what gear it goes in it dies. So I start it up, it idles fine. Pop the hood to look see for anything. Notice nothing, close hood. Put it in gear and it is fine, nervously press the gas pedal and make it 10 feet into the drive way and everything is fine.

:banghead:

So weather permitting tomorrow I will go over the tuning again.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:17pm

If you don't know, I collect Jeeps. Everything Jeep. I have quite a few die cast in my collection. I recently bought some more Seller is located in Salem Oregon roughly 3 hours away. So on Tuesday I Started driving my girlfriends Liberty and 30-40 minutes into the drive I watch the temp gauge climb pulled over and water is leaking. Drive home and park it and take the Cherokee.

All 3 Windows rolled down (doors and tailgate) we make it the 3 hours there. Ran beautiful! So happy.
On the way home it starts raining. All Windows down, wipers on, driving at 70 mph. Life is good.

Suddenly the wipers shut off. Still raining. Drive that way the 5 miles to the rest area. Ends up being a dead spot in the motor. So it either gets stuck in the down position or up position. If you push up or down on the blades work, but only about 4 sweeps then it gets stuck again.

Oh well it's only money!

Edited by berettajeep - 04 May 2017 at 8:19pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:28pm
Wednesday in Astoria was an awesome day! I Started days at my job. After work, drove home (a mile-ish) dropped of the 2A, grabbed some beers and the girlfriend and took the Cherokee to the beach! ( The 2A went earlier in the week)

Didn't stay for the sunset, tide moving in so we went and got dinner.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:37pm
Earlier on Wednesday while at work. I was being shown around the other campuses nearby that I will now be monitoring and at the auto shop this was in the back

Did not find out whose it was.

Today we were back there and I talked the the instructor/ owner and he said he got it for the axles and he is not doing anything else with it. Says I may help myself to any other parts.

Best day at work ever!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:37am
Well today was an adventure, but not for me.  Since my girlfriends Liberty was still waiting for me to replace the water pump I have been driving the Willys to work and leaving the Cherokee at home in case she needed to go anywhere.

Today she had a chiropractor appointment at 930am. Louise takes the Cherokee ( Also it is slightly raining today and I have not repaired the wiper motor yet Embarrassed) Well she gets a few blocks from the apartment and it keeps dying every time she tries to accelerate.  Sat at an intersection through 3 green lights. Traffic not happy.

Eventually she is gets it going but it dies at every light she gets stopped at ( and you know she hit everyone) Louise was not a happy camper. Finally she makes it to her appointment. The return trip home was uneventful.

So later in the evening when I get home from work I go straight to fixing her Liberty. Needing coolant and hose clamps, I take the Cherokee the same route she took this morning towards the auto parts store.

I make it through town just fine, even getting stopped at a bunch of lights.  Of course when I almost through all the lights I get stopped by a red light.  Light turns green, Jeeps stumbles and dies. Restart, stumbles and dies. Angry Restart and make it through the light and get stopped by the next light. Same thing happens, dies a few times and finally get it going.  Make it to the bridge and floor it. Seemed slugish at first but finally gets going. No problems at all after.

sigh.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:33am
Oh man what a pain!!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:36am
After work I stopped by to remove items from my parts Jeep. This is the first time I really looked at it. Wow, it is rusty. I think the paint and all the bondo is holding it together. LOL

Not that it matters it is a '78 with a 360/ 4V and auto.

I ended up grabbing the windshield motor, wiper arms, manual handle for the rear tailgate glass, fuel filler neck, headlight bezels, some other misc. stuff.  I still want to grab the rear side vented windows.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>