Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pickups in Nigeria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pickups in Nigeria
    Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 1:56pm
I just got back from a work trip to Nigeria. The country is full of old Peugeot 404 light pickups, especially in the rural areas, most likely dated from the '70's through to the '80's. Apparently these vehicles just NEVER give up!

The local guys weld up everything they can to reinforce the suspension, springs, chassis, body work etc, and then load them up - apparently they haul 2 tons in the back! (4,400lb). And according to Wikipedia, this is all with a 1.6 litre engine (91 cubic inch) producing 53kW or 71 bhp.

Best of all is the air filters apparently restrict the airflow and reduce performance, so they all run with no air filter.... that's right folks, they run them with an open carburetor! Bear in mind that these are not on tarmac freeways, but dusty dirt roads. Are we just to kind to our little CJ2A's?

Here is the engine bay....  note the open mouthed carb!

Clap Who gets the credit? The Nigerians for keeping these cars running regardless of everything they throw at them, or the French for designing and making an indestructible car?

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 2:58pm
A friend of mine's dad growing up had a four door version of that (ironically that same color).

What we always were astounded by was the 'FOUR on the tree' column shift.

They must be pretty tough it held up mechanically to avoid bit of 16-17yr old driver abuse.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2017 at 4:27am
What's odd about it is that Peugeot has a pretty bad reputation here in the US. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2017 at 7:32am
Don't ALL cars not made in the USA have a bad reputation there? LOL
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2017 at 8:51am
My Volvos have all been fine but us Volvo people don't talk about that era when they were running them French V6 engines. Piles of them blocks in the junk yard.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2017 at 6:50pm
Didn't Deloreans have Peugeot drive trains? Or Saab, I forget.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2017 at 7:30pm
You fooled me. I thought I was going to see Willys Pickups. Cry
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2017 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Don't ALL cars not made in the USA have a bad reputation there? LOL

Not so much, Volvo, Subaru, Toyota, & for some of us, the air-cooled VWs, have good reputations.Smile

I am sure that I left some out.

IMHO, Peugeot, OTOH, will not make the list. They have too many quirky systems to be easily accepted by most car owners. The four on the tree comes to mind.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 3:35am
A lot of cars that were made in the US have bad reputations here, too.  To some crazy people, Jeeps have a bad reputation. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 3:53am
Thanks for posting!, I was unaware Peugeot made a truck, LOL..... Junkyards are full of vehicles, good and bad, mostly ones poorly maintained or wrecked. Buy what you can afford and take care of it!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 2:04pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Junkyards are full of vehicles, good and bad, mostly ones poorly maintained or wrecked. Buy what you can afford and take care of it!  

Nigerians seem to take you literally. They buy what they can afford from the junkyard, and then run the engines on dusty roads with no air filters and camels in the back!!!

OK, I'll stop kidding around now. I live in Africa so I can spill the beans on the prevailing thinking... It goes something like this:

"My vehicle is worth very little or nothing, so it is literally pointless maintaining it. Every day that it can do work for me is a day that I earn something while spending nothing on it except for the fuel to drive it".

Kinda makes sense in a strange 3rd world way, right?

Also explains why some folks spend thousands of dollars on their Jeeps and then trailer them from show to show Shocked. So the logic works in reverse in 1st world countries too...

Edited by JeepSaffer - 17 Nov. 2017 at 2:27pm
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 5:52pm
I'd like one!, the loads they are carrying are impressive!.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 6:30pm
The mid 30's thru '40s are pretty neat looking little trucks (repowered of course)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Didn't Deloreans have Peugeot drive trains? Or Saab, I forget.

Renault
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 2:13am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Junkyards are full of vehicles, good and bad, mostly ones poorly maintained or wrecked. Buy what you can afford and take care of it!  

Nigerians seem to take you literally. ..

That's not really my point! I meant Take Care of It!, that would include an air filter of some type. I've been told 3-4 ounces of dirt will destroy an engine, I'm pretty sure the camels do not spend much time in the truck But like you said, it's Nigeria

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 4:37am
I love the pictures, thanks guys!

You do know what the camels are for right? You have heard of spare tires? Yes?

Having been in "3rd world" countries, I do not doubt that those camels get some ride in the truck time. Nor do those loads surprise me at all.

I have seen broken leaf springs repaired in the field with a large hammer, a block of ironwood, & a fire. Think blacksmith. They must have got the annealing & tempering right, as it lasted two years that I know of. 

Edited by cpt logger - 18 Nov. 2017 at 4:47am
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 4:39am
I spent time in Nigeria 15 years or so ago. I remember driving through Port Harcourt and going past a mechanics shop in steady rain. The shop consisted of a big fellow holding a partial garbage bag over a wooden bench about 3’ long. The mechanic was straddling the bench and rebuilding carburetors from a box of mismatched stuff. The “tire” shop was selling bald tires with many cords showing through-but they did hold air.
RWILLYS (Space R)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>