Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pintle hitch adapter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pintle hitch adapter?
    Posted: 22 June 2016 at 1:45pm
I recently purchased an old Spen trailer. Lots of changes have been made to it so it really won't be a restoration project -- I plan to use it.
To pull it with my 2A or 3B though, the front of the trailer it tilted down quite a bit due to the height of the hitch ball on the Willy's hitch assembly.
I've been looking for some type of adapter that would mount where a pintle hitch would go and accept a reese-type receiver. Or another idea someone might have to get the front of the trailer leveled out.
Anyone else come up with a solution to this?
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Late 1940s(?) Spen trailer
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 2:50pm
Probably not what you are looking for,   but I installed pintle hook on '2A  and adapted a pintle ring to Bantam trailer.     (This is a beater trailer also,  so I was not concerned with originality).   
The pintle arrangement is MUCH better for off-road use.   :)
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 6:19pm
Did you flip the trailer hitch over? Its designed to go either way. I have to flip it to level out my Bantam. That gets it the same height as the pintle would be.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 7:55pm
I have the triangle hitch plate bolted to where it's the highest on both of my Jeeps, but it's still several inches lower than the pintle mount area.
I was wondering if anyone made some type of reese-type receiver that would mount in the pintle area, and then I could use whatever reese-type slide in I needed to get the desired elevation.
I know they make an adapter to mount a pintle to the part that slides in a mounted receiver, but I was hoping to find just the opposite - an adapter that mounts to the pintle area that the reese-type piece, with the ball attached, slides into.
I hope this makes sense. It's very hard to articulate what I'm after.
The opposite of this set up:
http://www.crofttrailer.com/receiver-mounted-pintle-hook-adapter-20-000-lb-capacity/#page=page-1

1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 10:00pm
If I understand,   you want this:

Not sure that is correct bolt pattern though.  

63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 11:11pm
That very well could be what I'm looking for Ron, although the bolt pattern doesn't look correct. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if that's something I could adapt to my needs.
Thanks
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2016 at 1:45pm
I don't know if you are still looking for ideas on this, but here's what I did when I was building a tire mount at the back. I used the original side-mount metal part and fastened it to some home made framing. I don't weld, so I located and cut all the stock and had a welding shop put it together to my plan.

First I removed the "cap" from the pintle hook mounting location so I could access that "strong" point that you are talking about. I used the removed cap to make the bolt pattern for the plate that now bolts to the anchor point on the Jeep. The plate in turn was welded to a junk yard step bumper receiver hitch from a Ford truck bumper. To that hitch, I had them weld parts that allow the tire carrier frame to hinge down like a tailgate.

Post Reply Post Reply