Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Placement of frame number cj2 46.?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 12:35pm
potato potahto
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 1:33pm
OK. A modified 3b body? Wow! There is nothing on that jeep that is 2a.
In a country where Willys Jeeps are very rare I can see where this might happen. The good news is it’s still a Jeep and can easily be made to look like a 2a, the bad news is you did not buy a true CJ2a.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

A late 2A frame still has the engine mount plates "in-line" with each other.  True 3A frames have offset engine mounting plates.

3A "style" frames, not 3A frames... in the context of the above speaking specifically to the lack of bumper gussets

True!, but to be more specific and true to the Jeep family tree I'd say the 3A had a late 2A "Style" frame . A late 2A cannot have a 3A style frame, as the 3A came later!....

Lee

Bolding mine.

IMHO, This is inaccurate. Both the CJ-2A & the Cj-3A were produced in late 1948 & 1949. Thus, either way one wants to say it is correct. Is it a later CJ-2a style frame, or is it a cj-3 A style frame?

What I have heard most is the CJ-3A style. That is what I am going to call it. To me communication is the most important aspect of this, so while both are correct, I am going to use the most common nomenclature. Besides, "late 2A style frame" may be a bit confusing to folks that are new to this madness (hobby) .
Jeppe q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 7:52am
Is there any one to see if the windscreen and dashboard is a 2 or 3?

Edited by Jeppe q - 22 Feb. 2018 at 12:57pm
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 11:54am
That is a M 38 windshield. Google search CJ3A  and M38 images to see more examples 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 1:19pm
2A dash, M-38 windshield, 3A style frame, 3B cut down tub, looks to be a do it yourself floor repairs on the passenger side,
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Jeppe q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

2A dash, M-38 windshield, 3A style frame, 3B cut down tub, looks to be a do it yourself floor repairs on the passenger side,
 Yes, it's a frankenstein ..Confused
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 4:32pm

Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

True!, but to be more specific and true to the Jeep family tree . I'd say the 3A had a late 2A "Style" frame . A late 2A cannot have a 3A style frame, as the 3A came later!....

Lee 

Bolding mine.

IMHO, This is inaccurate. Both the CJ-2A & the Cj-3A were produced in late 1948 & 1949. Thus, either way one wants to say it is correct. Is it a later CJ-2a style frame, or is it a cj-3 A style frame? 

Ah, but if either way one wants to say it is “correct”…then how can the statement be “inaccurate”?

I’m going to have to agree with Lee.  There is a family tree …“progression” with these frames that should dictate what it’s called.   In my view, it can’t be a 3A style frame until there is a true 3A frame to compare it to. 

-There is the 2A frame that won’t work with a 3A without minor modification.

-There is the Late 2A frame designed to work specifically with a 2A, but resembles a 3A frame.

-There is the 3A frame designed specifically to work with a 3A that won’t work with a 2A without a minor modification.

To be completely accurate, we would need to know what the designers were thinking during that meeting.  Was it- “We need a stronger frame for the 2A.”  …Or…  “We are going to build a new Jeep and call it a CJ3A…and by the way, it will have a stronger frame.”

Semantics wise, it may be a matter of perspective.  As I am more of a 3A guy, I don’t call this transitional frame a “3A style”.  I call it a “Late 2A” frame.  If I were a 2A guy, I might call it a “3A style”.

Back to our regular scheduled programming...

Can you take a picture of the cargo area?  Specifically, a side view of the wheel house.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 7:57pm
Thank Gawd I have a CJ-5 frame and this stuff doesn't worry me LOL

Of course its totally confused cause its now looks just like a 3A frame on the front end except for the Hat shaped cross member with the big loop in the middle. But it has CJ-2A type bottom radiator mounts, CJ-2A engine mounts CJ-5 Style tranny cross member, in the middle it has all the same mounting brackets as a CJ-2A and in the rear it looks nothing like any CJ frame except mine.

It has an identity crisis and doesn't even know it or care.

Edited by Mark W. - 22 Feb. 2018 at 8:00pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12