Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Points Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Points Question
    Posted: 14 June 2013 at 7:28pm
I picked up a new set of points from NAPA today and found that they have a part included with them that I don't have on my Willys.  It's this little bent piece of metal.

I'm thinking it's a spring that helps push the contacts closed, but am not sure how it's installed.  Like this maybe?  Or is this part not needed?

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 7:33pm
Looks like a capasitor clip
Ed
cj2a lefty
archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by p3ferris p3ferris wrote:

Looks like a capasitor clip

I don't think so.  The capacitor came with it's own clip.  Seems strange to include one with the points.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 7:59pm
Almost looks to me like an "extra" spring got packed in the box. Does it have the slot for the screw? I've seen points sets over the years that came unassembled but not like the one pictured.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 8:42pm
Some part numbers come with the "extra" spring, some don't. I'm not sure why. If it was included, i would us it. There is a specification for spring tension that I do not have as I am in France, but you do not want light tension and point float, nor high tension and cam wear.
BOULDER 48 2A
jimmcld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmcld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 8:56pm
It would have to go inside the existing spring, not on the outside like you have it, in order to increase spring pressure.
Jim
archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 9:46pm
I agree, but it doesn't look like the spring would fit. check it when I'm at home I'm at work now.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 2:59am
Install it or your engine will not run over 1/2 throttle as your points will float, Yes I know and it happened to me, very agrivating. In my case the dumba$$ at Napa opened the box and the helper spring fell out on the floor and I did not know it needed one.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 4:07am
I put it together without the spring and it barely idols. it sounds like its out of time. Would the missing spring cause this?

lee, did you put that helper spring on the inside or the outside?
archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 9:02am
Ok...

For future reference, the metal doo-hickey is a spring. It goes on the points like this and you do have to have it installed to run. Ouch

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 9:15pm
I'm having the same problem...the x-tra spring will not go over the copper one but will only fit inside.

Been trying to install the above points in dizzy base plate with 100% failure...there must be an easier way than what I am doing.

The problem is inserting the two springs in the clamp, they wont allow me to tighten the clamp due to overbite or misalignment of the springs that straddle the clamp screw.

Is there a special tool for getting inside the base to tighten the clamp screw?

Thanks
"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 9:28pm
The clamp screw should be a hex head and some have slots cut in them for a flat blade screw driver. Need to get yourself a set of ignition wrenches. If not, remove the points plate and install points, tighten with screw driver. Install points plate on shaft and use screw driver to move points arm away from cam so it will drop into position. Hope this helps.
willys jeep
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 9:47pm
The steel spring goes to the inside of the copper strip and the bend on the spring hooks around the pivot arm that the points are on.

Some manufacturers just use the spring as a conductor for the electricity that goes though the points; however others use the additional copper strip as the conductor of the current.

Using the copper strip itself won't apply enough pressure to the point arm and it will start to float at anything above an idle.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 10:15pm

autolite  Yes that will help...don't have ignition wrenches but will check for them.  My clamp screw does have the slot in it but removing the plate will make the difference for me! Thanks!

SE Kansas 46
  Yes that is the only way I could get the metal spring to attache to the point base...I scanned the forum for info before posting and saw there was another picture of the point assembly and the poster said the copper spring went inside. There was no way I could get it to attache that way but you confirmed it does go with the metal spring inside the copper one.  Thanks! 
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 10:21pm
Your local Ace Hardware store usually has a set of Craftsman ignition wrenches hanging on a hook.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 10:46pm
autolite
 I removed the two hex head bolts and the stud coming in from the side (for wire) and plate won't budge.

Before I get too physical with it, is there anything else that I'm overlooking...do I just need to work it out?
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 10:47pm

smuffle Thanks, I will check with them.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 11:47pm
I was able to remove the base plate with just a little pull...points went on in about 5 min. not the 2 1/2 hrs I've spent up until then.

That is the only way to put those points in that vehicle!!

I had removed the oil bath cleaner assembly, one heater hose and all wires going to positive side of battery.

Lost the original screw to tighten point arm and new one stripped out, (must have been metric) so I'll try to find one, probably need to take plate out and carry with me to find correct screw.

Found I do have ignition wrenches just one not as small as the clamp screw.

Thanks for all the help!!
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>