Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Forum How To's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

posting pic's from magazines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: posting pic's from magazines
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 12:24pm
Is it ok to take photo's from old magazines(some still in publication) and post it on the form? Or what about Fred Coldwells book for example?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 8:21pm
Do you mean scan copyrighted images from publications and post them on the 2A Page (internet) without securing permission from the copyright holder?

No, that ain't cool.

I'd think Mr. Coldwell would want you to contact him first, as would any author or publisher.

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 9:50pm
Luzon Red47, Wow it's almost like you read my mind. I was considering posting a pic from "Hot Rod" mag. from 1967....guess I'll nix that! Does the same apply to old manuals and text books? I posted a pic of WW2 jeeps from a camp pamphlet where my father was stationed shortly during WW2 hope I'm O.K. with that! I'm curious though, I asked about this in april how did you Know? Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 10:21pm
wadoyado: I simply saw your April note while on the 2A Page.
As with everything related to the internet, the issue of posting images is a matter of discretion and risk. I'm a professional journalist, magazine editor and book author so I'm quite sensitive to anybody re-purposing my work including photography without an attempt to contact me for permission.

I can tell you that the publisher of Hot Rod is diligent in protecting its material. And, whomever shot that 1967 pic may still be around. Just sayin'.

ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 10:57pm
Thanks for the info. As you can probably tell I'm pretty green when it comes to the internet. Thanks Joe Wadoyado

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:29pm
Joe:  Pics from your dad's WWII Army camp pamphlet likely wouldn't be an issue, as the original source was a US gov't publication paid for by the public and long out of print. It's different than posting scans from a magazine title that's still being published (Hot Rod) or a recent book like Fred C's.

ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply