Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project Pepé

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project PepĂ©
    Posted: 18 June 2009 at 3:39am

New to the forum, but figured i would post my find.  I was searching ebay for jeep toys and through a fluke stumbled apon a post for a  "1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 Jeep Willys Overland".  had numbers in the ad, ran the numbers and turned out to be a 51 cj3a.  I went to look at it over the week, and man was it busted up.  The picture was years old and i guess the jeep had been moved around since the ad was originally posted.  But determined not to go home empty handed i searched around a little bit and stumbled on to this little beauty.  There was also a couple other jeeps out there, but i think i grabbed the best of the bunch.

The jeep is in far better shape then the 3a i was looking at, and there was a pile of parts inside the cab.  the motor could spin by hand, but it looks like it's been sitting in the woods for a good number of years.  i might even have a line on a half cab hard top with glass.  But I should have it delivered to my house tomorrow night.  when it gets home i'll clean out the cab and all the garbage and try to get some more pics of the ol' girl.  I'll call this guy, PepĂ©.

Edited by jeep795 - 24 Aug. 2013 at 11:47am
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 5:40am
Nice find, looks like a '45 to me. Welcome to the site and be prepared to be barraged with questions.LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 6:07am
Nice find.
If I'm reading it correctly, the tag says "#11907", which would make it one of the early 1946 models.
The '45's stopped at serial #11824.
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 6:55am
See, what do I knowLOL, I thought the split was somewhere around there. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 1:37pm
hi, and welcome !!!  nice early 46 you have found :)

would you mind taking some pics of the others if you return there?  there might be something of interest to others :)

low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 7:56pm
Got it home... it's been pouring rain out so pulling it out of the woods was kind of a chore.  I have a few pictures of some other ones up there, most of them are pretty beat up, there was a definate 46 and i wanna say maybe a 48, but i couldn't find tags on that one. 

Heres the pictures of it's new home.

it's definately a project, but most of it is in better shape then i woulda thought.  The drivers side floor pan is covered up by something that's been riveted in.  I'm not sure if all the body work being riveted in is a blessing or a curse but we'll see when i start to tear into it.  The gas tanks a little banged up too.  Also i have one original seat and a set of Some other seat that's unknown.  On the bottom of one is a tag.  When the weather gets nicer i'll get some decent photos of the seats.

here's a few more jeeps that were up there, ones the 47 and the others a 51 3a.

the 51 is pretty beat, the 47 is missing a lot of metal but has the dashboard, no dash tags though.  can't remember if there was a motor or not, but i'm leaning towards no.

Edited by jeep795 - 24 Aug. 2013 at 11:56am
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 8:40pm
Pulled some numbers today and input them into the database.  .  I crawled under to try and find the stamp on the transmission and axles, but couldn't read them.  I'm gonna wait til i start dissasembly and it's in the garage.  I couldn't find anything on the tailgate.  Looks like the motor may be original.

also it's hard to tell what color it was, i'm thinking harvest tan.  On the firewall where one of the tags used to be it's a definate harvest tan, but the whole jeep is green and the fenders have a little red showing, i'm thinkin a primer and a couple repaints maybe.  Also hard to tell what color the wheels are.  It's either black or also harvest tan, possibly white.  the back wheels are rusty, and the fronts as well as the spare is black.  My only dissapointment with this is the lack of dash plates and body plates on the firewall.  Besides that i noticed a cool cursive jeep written on the tool box on the front.

Edited by jeep795 - 12 June 2010 at 10:50pm
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 7:05pm
Got bored last night before it rained and i pushed the jeep into the garage. Took off a couple of the "patches" that had been riveted on, except for the floor. Some of the patches had been button welded on, which is a PIA. Someone patched the windshield frame with welds, The willy's stamp is still intact though. All In all, seems like it'll be some fun. When funds allow i'm going to replace the whole floor, the back is all wavy, not sure what i'll do yet. I also freed up the windshield Frame, which had things welded to the cowl and the patch along the bottom of the frame to keep it from moving. I wonder when the last time the frame was down. It's amazing the concept of time i'm developing from this project. all the little things that have been done over the last 6 decades, and now me. it's really impressive. But, i found a lever for what i beleive to be turn signals, and i see a spot on the steering colum that looks like something was removed, maybe it used to be a column shift. It would make sense, however i'd rather keep it floor shift. But the Color has been confirmed as harvest tan. There's alot of green, and on a few spots on the fenders a red color, not sure what that could be from. Heres a few pics.
Big jeep, little jeep!
The frame is a little bizarre in the front, alot of added metal, not sure when.
I thought this was pretty nifty to see, man those factory guys had it easy...
Heres a pile of all the patches i took off, one of them had the name andrew wilson stamped into it, also had something under it but i couldn't read it.
Here's the red on the fender, and the Harvest tan on the firewall. I'm assuming the red is primer or a former paint job.
almost looks like a speaker
Heater
I dont' know what to make of these seats, i have no idea what they're from, heavy little buggers though. Almost even looks like harvest tan on the back of them.
Well that's all for now. Hopefully someone enoys lookin at this.

Edited by jeep795 - 25 Aug. 2013 at 2:25pm
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 4:23pm
took off the front clip and got a better look at the hack job on the frame. i'm hoping it was just strengthening for a plow and not a patch, either way, i'm cutting it all off to see what i'm in for. Most of the wiring harness is junk and a few of the gauges have rust floating around in side. Anyone have tips for cleaning the gauges out? I'm not sure what are original and what has been replaced. The body will be off as soon as i make some friends, or i get creative with the cherry picker. Can't figure out how to get the steering column off. I searched but didn't find much. Here's a few pics of what i'm up against.

Edited by jeep795 - 25 Aug. 2013 at 4:42pm
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 4:28pm
To get the steering out, remove the wheel (easier said than done, do a search and you'll get a lot of good ideas on that). then remove the front part of the exhaust pipe, unhook the drag link from the steering box, remove the bolts holding the steering box to the frame, then the whole thing comes out the front. It is possible to remove the tub with the column in place (the wheel still has to come offAngry) I've not done it that way, it just seemed like an extra "thing" to think about while pulling the tub, but I've read that it's been done that way. HTH
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 10:20pm
I've removed the tub without taking out the steering box/column.  It involved a couple of tall strong guys that don't care so much about scratching things up.  Basically you just have to lift the tub high enough so that it clears the top of the column.  Gravity really isn't your friend on this job but it can be done.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 4:53pm
Worked on getting the body off for a few days, took out all the loose ends and wires.  Didn't want to, but had to take out the torch to heat up some stubborn body bolts, a few of them weren't attached to anything already.  sometimes body rot helps.  here's a few pics, things went pretty smooth, then i pulled out the pressure washer and some degreaser, cleaned the frame, soaked it, then hit it again.  also dried it off with a leaf blower so I could wheel it back in the garage.

Now i just gotta tear the rest of it apart.  i might wait a little while before i do anything else.  i have a couple of jobs to finish up for people and would like to get my 92 rolling and driveable before i dive into anything big.

Edited by jeep795 - 25 Aug. 2013 at 4:46pm
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2009 at 5:24pm

I've been thinking about trying to track down original owners of this jeep and don't know the first place to look.  The guy at the junkyard didn't have any paperwork on it.  This jeep only had a frame tag, and i'm assuming that someone pirated the tags off for a project.  Does anyone think there's a remote possibility of the dmv having any records of this jeep or is it too old?  I'm going to try and double check with the guy from the junkyard but i'm doubtful about that.

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2009 at 7:36pm
I believe that I have that same radio. It was in my 48.  It seems weather proofed. 
Ed
cj2a lefty
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2009 at 8:21pm
Also, i'm taking manual transmissions in school right now.  just rebuilt my ford np435 and have some decent time left over.  Was thinkin about tackling the jeep transmission next.  Any advice as to problems to look for and a reccomendation on a good rebuild kit would be appreciated!Thumbs Up
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2009 at 3:34pm
Well i'm tired of seeing nothing happen to the 2a so i figured i'll start with some of the small stuff over the winter.  I'm going to see what i can do about the windshield frame.  The worst part of it is the hack patch under the willys logo and the glass hinge is way rotted out.  There's a few holes here and there but seems solid for the most part....hopefully.

as  you can see that bottom patch is rough.  seems like the same guy did all the "body work" on this thing.  Pop rivets and spot welds all over the place.  I haven't seen any posts showing how people actually tackle the windshield frame, there's alot of complex bends going on in the channels for the hinge and where the glass goes.  Most of it seems halfway decent to me.    I looked on The G but didn't find much either.  I'm going to have to replace the top hinge when money permits and hopefully find some pictures of where the bottom lip that wraps the cowl ends. 

Edited by jeep795 - 25 Aug. 2013 at 4:52pm
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2009 at 7:03pm
On that windshield frame you can get a new patch panel that should save you a lot of work.  Here's a link to Classic Enterprises where I found the patch panel.  They have many repro panels available and an excellent reputation for good fit.
http://www.classicent.com/jeep.php#4164

Just be sure that you retain the square flanged studs that hold the top bow clamps in place.  Don't replace them with the round ones that came on the later jeeps.  Along with several other specific features, the square flanges are unique to the early CJ-2a.
Here is a link that shows the differences in the windshield frames:
http://www.cj-2a.com/parts/Body/windshield/types/quik_ref.html

Novak has a good reputation for a quality T90 rebuild kit.  Also, there is a fantastic guide on the web that should walk you through it in detail.  Here's the link for the T90 rebuild guide:
http://www.willystech.com/wt/T90RebuildGuide/T90rebuild.htm

Since this is such an early jeep it is probably important to preserve it as close to original as is practical for you.  Too many of these old jeeps have been ripped apart and modded, used thoroughly, then dumped at the junkyard when worn out.
Hope this info helps.  You've got a nice early jeep there.  Keep the updates coming!  Thumbs Up

Edited by Cammer - 10 Nov. 2009 at 7:12pm

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2009 at 7:17pm
Just looking at the pics I was able to tell a few things.  It looks like you have the original early full floater axle, the original early type steering wheel, and maybe a column shift steering column with a top shifter modified column shift type transmission.  If it is a modified column shift transmission then it is most likely original to your jeep.  It is also important to know when you rebuild it as you may need to change some of the rebuild steps along the way.

All of those parts are important to retain if you are planning on a restoration.  Very nice.  Wink

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>