Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project "Popeye" 1943 MB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project "Popeye" 1943 MB
    Posted: 18 Aug. 2014 at 10:38pm
My ultimate jeep has always been the MB. I have spent years imagining what I would do with an an MB when I got one.......I got one and this will be the chronicles of POPEYE THE JEEP.
This won't be a fast thread but it will be as complete as I can be.

This jeep is an April 1943 production model. It was found in a farmers field in Door County Wisconsin. The "finder" was looking at a local travel magazine and saw something vaguely familiar.......

A little magnification and it was a bit more clear.........

So the "finder" tracks down the site where this picture was taken and buys it from them. Included with the purchase is a picture of the jeep "working" back in the day.

As luck would have it, the "finder" didn't want to restore it so I stepped in to rescue the old girl. 
Here she is today.

The plan is to build a US NAVY SHORE PATROL  jeep. Naval Air Station Roosevelt Roads, PR since that is where I spent the bulk of my Navy time. I have been collecting parts and accessories to make this a proper Navy jeep. I am also thinking this may have been a former Navy or USMC jeep at one time since it came with lift rings. 
To date I have a 1919 30 cal. machine gun, leather scabbard and M1 carbine, Colt 45 and leather holster, siren and red light.
I have an MB summer top, 5 GoodYear pencil points and pioneer tool kit.
This will be a slow and deliberate process but since its on the forum the pressure is on...........stay tuned!
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
robplumber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robplumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2014 at 11:37pm
That's a cool story and a really nice looking starting point.
good luck with this project. It really sounds like it's one from the heart. Those always come out best!
1953 cj3a modified
1947 cj2a stock and beautiful
1998 xj lifted
1999 xj stock
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2014 at 11:51pm
A very nice find , Have fun with it!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 2:37am
You need some bumperettes for it or you have other plans?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 3:49am
Sent Roc a PM.
What a great idea!.......I could be like your dumping ground for all your misfit MB "Toys". I could be like Herbie the Dentist in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.....I am like the Island of Misfit MB Parts. They'll find a good home here.Thumbs Up
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 3:56am
Really cool!
Dutch
     ,[__|__],
l   L__O|||||O_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 2:14pm
Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
oldjeeplady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldjeeplady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 4:21pm
This looks like a great project! Clap I look forward to seeing your progress - actually since you live so close compared to the other members I know I intend on seeing this in person...LOL.  Maybe I should come by and you can show me the scabbard.  We'll be on vaction - going to Ouray for some trail riding leaving early Sat.  Big smile  Too bad we didn't get our '59 CJ5 done in time for the trip but we are taking a different 4x4.  Hope to see your project when we get back!

54 CJ-3B, 59 CJ5, 67 CJ5 V6, 79 CJ7
oldjeeplady (lady jeeper extremely fond of old CJ's)
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2016 at 3:43pm
Well enough procrastinating. Time to get started. I have decided to start this process by disassembling the vehicle part by part, bolt by bolt and get all of the small parts off first, bag em and tag em, so I don't forget what goes where.
The problems began early on. Some of the things I was finding made no sense. Come to find out this jeep was actually a NOM12.(NAVY ordered- Marine corps) It is factory modified for the NAVY as a radio jeep for the Marine Corps. It was originally painted forrest green (USMC), it had lift rings, tow hooks and factory made body holes to accommodate antennae cable routing and holes to accommodate a 12V generator that ran off a PTO. In the grand scheme of things, with the vast numbers of jeeps produced this jeep represented less than 1% of the total made. In the world of other collector cars thats like owning the "holy grail" of that type of car. Well this is no rare muscle car or Ferrari, its a jeep......no real bump there. It is rare and historical though and worth more thought. My original plan was to restore it as a Navy jeep..a gray one at that...but this stuff was making me reconsider. I contacted the knowledge base over on the G503, confirmed my suspicions, and tried to reconcile this. Picking up all the needed components for this project was like finding "unobtainium" I thought. Wouldn't you know it, a guy who many of us know, just happens to have a complete set up for sale right now on E-bay....testing the waters don't you know...I talked to him and of course he wants a pretty penny for it all. It would be nice, but it is a ton of money for something I really don't want. If this would put my jeep over the top and make it worth a ton more than your average well restored MB it might be worth my while. I had a nice discussion with Fred Coldwell about it and we thought that restoring it the way I wanted without disturbing all of the factory modifications would be the best compromise. That way if it ever left my hands it could still be easily converted thus preserving an historical vehicle. To the uneducated observer no one would know the difference and to the expert well I will enjoy hearing him point it out to me.
Pictures to come.
If you are over on the "G" check out my thread on the "Jeeps used by the USN/USMC
I'LL BE STRONG TO THE FINICH CUZ I EAT ME SPINICH!

Edited by damar2yxr - 16 Feb. 2016 at 7:43pm
eat,sleep,jeep

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2016 at 4:27pm
The back story on how it was found, along with the old photo, helps make this a very cool project to watch.  I don’t spend much time at the “G”, so I’m hopeful you’ll keep posting your updates over here.

Tim

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2016 at 5:57pm
If I were to buy all the necessary equipment my jeep would look like this.
So on the jeep there is a hole through the transmission hump to accommodate a belt that runs off of a PTO to supply power to that 12V generator that would be an awesome armrest. There is an oblong hole in the glove box to accommodate wires to power a remote control that is mounted in the glove box and a nice little hole on the drivers side for a wire to the antennae. There is also a hole in the drivers side cowl to accept wires to run the "Dyneto" electric wiper system.

eat,sleep,jeep

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 12:21am
Good luck on the restore and I'm looking forward to the reports and pics on this forum. Lucky for you you are a rich dentist
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 1:24pm
I think ebay just had the NOS setup for between the seats. Last I looked it was way up there in $. Please keep us up to date here. I 'm on all the sites, but you won't get criticised here. If you decide you don't want it------------------LOL.  Your original pictures are fantastic. I saw that when the last owner posted. I think it's in good hands. Fred Caldwell is a definate well of Jeep knowledge. Just don't try and follow him in his AgriJeep. You may not make it. Love the name too!  You'll give it a new life fitting to it. You may find numbers under that paint and clues to it's original life. That may trap you into putting it back as it was original. I know it would influence me. So, take us along with you for the ride. Love it. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 3:17pm
One of the neat things about this jeep was its completeness. Almost everything was there including 5 combat wheels. Combat wheels are two halves held together with 8 nuts and bolts. They were designed for battle so that if a wheel was shot out the tire would not pop off the rim....they could still run flat. The wheel had a metal ring on the inside to hold the tire on the bead. Today we don't expect our wheel to be shot out so the metal ring is discarded and we use a rubber wheel flap to prevent the tube from being pinched between the halves. Let me tell you that separating these wheels is a JOB! Since I'm a rich dentist, (as Jeff has pointed outWink) I paid someone to do it. It took him 2 hrs and $150 to get them apart. There are only 2 good You-Tube videos on it....it seemed easy. What could go wrong?

Edited by damar2yxr - 16 Feb. 2016 at 5:30pm
eat,sleep,jeep

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 3:38pm
The permissions on the video are set to private. IMO, the best way to keep your combats in good condition and easy to break apart is to break them apart at least once a year. Some people have suggested putting silicone between the halves before you bolt them together but in my experience, you need to apply silicone, to the inner half, spread it smooth with a putty knife to level it out and level out the divets in the bolt holes, and then let it completely cure before you fasten the two pieces together. It will make a reusable seal that is air/water tight. I'll be posting some examples of this next week.

Edit: this was an idea that sandusky gave me at the Iowa gathering and it works

Edited by jpet - 16 Feb. 2016 at 3:41pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 7:06pm
When I assemble mine, I've found that you need to put just a little air in the tube. That gives it a little body and it's easier to insert into the tire and it makes it way easier to fit the liner around the tube. When bolting the halves together, you definitely want a little air in the tube to keep the inside of the tube away from the pinch point. If the tube has some air in it, the halves go together easy. Will not get pinched in the halves.

Edit: little bit of air in the tube first to make it easier to stuff in the tire, then a little more. Just enough to make the tube stand up so the liner can be tucked around and the inside diameter stands up away from the inside of the halves.

Edited by jpet - 16 Feb. 2016 at 7:10pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 7:26pm
Aren't they missing the most important part of a combat rim and that is the piece of metal that pinches the tire to the bead on the outside of the rim?  That is what makes the tire not fall off if flat.

Never mind somebody beat me to it haha. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2016 at 8:07pm
Yes and those are made to work with beadlock tires. Joe Friday can give you more info on that.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>