Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO winch mount photos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTO winch mount photos
    Posted: 09 Oct. 2017 at 5:23am
I'm planing on putting a PTO winch on the front of my 2a. I have both a Koenig and a Ramsey unit. I have a WWII tandem tow bar on the front that I would like to keep there also.  It would be nice to see how some of you guys mounted your winch.
Thanks
Jay

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 3:05pm
What is the model and manufacture of PTO winch are you mounting?  Ramsey, Koenig or other?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 4:40pm
I have both a Ramsey and a Koenig. 
Thanks
Jay
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 5:29pm
I know that Koenig has 2 different mounting systems so perhaps so a bit more information would help. I do have the low mount Koenig on my jeep and a few friends are using Ramseys
uncamonkey
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 5:33pm
The koenig I have mounts on the bottom go it, not the front to back one. I also have a ramsey unit I'm not sure of how it mounts.
I will get what ever unit I need to make it work, just would like to see some photos for ideas.
Thanks
Jay

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 7:06pm
Jay,

I always design my mounts so the winch rope is retrieved (pulling in) on the bottom of the drum which means under load the winch itself is being pulled down into the frame of the Jeep.  You need to figure out which direction your PTO winch drum is going to be turning when the jeep is in first gear.  I always want it to be turning counter clockwise when looking at it from the drives side of the front bumper - with the rope spooning on to the bottom and up between the winch and the grill (not between the winch and the bumper.  IF IT SPOOLS on from the top it might be a winch designed to be used on the back of the Jeep.

Stev
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 7:12pm
I'm interested to see pictures as well. I have a Koenig that spools from the bottom that I will be mounting soon. 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 9:33pm
Koenig winch mounted on a 1948 CJ2A with a factory Koenig winch bumper. The bumper and the winch mounting plate are a single system.  The Koenig mount is made of 3/8" plate with a 45 degree brake along the bumper's bottom edge.  The 45 degree break is welded along the bumper.   This 45 degree break lowers the flat deck that the winch mounts to by about 1" below the frame rail.  The back of the 3/8" plate along the grill has a 90 degree bend facing down towards the ground about 1-1/2 inch long, with gussets welded in as webs attaching the under side of the plate to the 90 degree brake.  The winch farrell is made as part of the bumper with 4 rollers about 1-1/4 inch in diameter (there are no bearings just pipe on solid rods - bearings must a have been a later up grade).  The 3/8" plate has notches for the front spring perches.  

The rear of the 3/8" winch plate is attached to the frame rails (on each side) with 1/4" wall 2-1/2" square stock.   The square stock is notched so that it slides (can involve pounding!) into the C channel that makes up the frame rail about 1-1/2" (goes all the way to the inside of the frame rail - making contact with the top, bottom and inside surfaces).  The bottom of the square stock has a welded flat plate.  There is a top plate / cap on the square stock (1/4 thick plate).  The Rear is through bolted - bolt goes down through the top plate, through the frame rail, through the open tube, through the frame rail, though the bottom welded bottom cap, and then through the 3/8" bottom plate.  There is a second bolt that joins the bottom welded bottom cap to the 3/8" plated.  1/2" bolts - grade 8

The front bumper is bolted to the frame rail in the typical CJ2A fashion with bolts from the top to the bottom and from the front to the wings on the frame rails.   The angle plates on the front of the bumper are for a draw bar and can be use with a small Jib Crane.  The bolts that hold these angle plates on go through bolted to the frame rail angle plates.

There are recovery points on each of the front frame rails.  They also are through bolted like the square stock.

There are no frame rail extensions used in this installation.  The approach angle of the vehicle is the same as a stock CJ2A.

If you open this picture up  on your phone you should be able to zoom in or if you have a touch screen you can make it larger.  I don't have any better pictures and the CJ2A is back in storage so it might be a while until I can get any.

Hope this helps.  The Jeep is the weak part of any winch mounting system.  If something is going to fail it hopefully will be a section of key stock in the drive line.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 16 Oct. 2017 at 10:04pm
Stev
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 2:23am
A PTO winch will work the same regardless of if it is a over wind or under wind set up. You just load the wire rope so that it pulls in the same direction as you are trying to go and can assist if needed. A rear mounted PTO winch is wrapped so you can pull yourself while in reverse.
uncamonkey
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2017 at 2:47am
From an engineering perspective the bolts should be in compression (force the winch down into the frame).  If the winch is wound from the top it will put tension on the bolts and the force of pulling in the wire rope or cable will try to pull the winch out off of the frame.  By wrapping the winch cable so that it runs off of the bottom of the spool, the winch will attempt to pull itself through the frame.  

Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply