Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulling Hubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANIMALDOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulling Hubs
    Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 10:45pm
I have looked at my manual and searched the internet and have not seen hubs like the ones  on the rear of my CJ2A  45 or 46. I was told it is a 45 however I have not received a title.. When I remove the six 9/16 bolts on what I thought was the hub cover I found that it is attached to the axle. I am wanting to replace wheel cylinders an check the brakes. I need some help figuring this out. 
I m hoping to figure out how to send pictures.

God has the only opinion that counts. LD
ANIMALDOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANIMALDOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 11:09pm
Looking at the cereal number 12999 I think it is an early 1946.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 11:33pm
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 2:54am
  After you remove the six 3/8" bolts (3/8" is the bolt size, 9/16 is the wrench size) and pull the axle shaft out, you will see the large spindle nut inside the hub. The nuts and washers, and the bearings are the same as in the front hubs, and are removed the same way. There's a good drawing on page 233 of the Service Manual for Universal Jeep Vehicles that shows the layout of the bearings, seal, nuts, washers, and hub. The drawing shows a front hub, but like I said, they are the same.   HTH   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ANIMALDOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANIMALDOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 2:04pm
Thanks Bruce. I had not expected to have to pull the axles. Nothing I saw or read mentioned it. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 3:19am
As you have discovered, a '45 or early '46 will have the full-floating rear axle with rear hubs the same as the front hubs.  Kinda rare, kinda versatile: the hubs will go either on the front or the back.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply