Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q&A on tires you use for trailering your Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q&A on tires you use for trailering your Jeep
    Posted: 18 June 2017 at 8:46pm
This thread was started so we could share good and bad experiences with the tires we use on the trailers we use to haul our Jeeps.

So far, we've discussed that ST trailer tires are only speed rated for 55 MPH, but a 65 PSI Load range D may be run at 75 psi to be OK at 65 MPH
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 9:36pm
I like (and have had good luck) with my Carlisle USA Trails non-radials.

Have read that others here haven't (had good luck) but that's what I will continue using until I experience what others seem to be......poor tread wear I believe we're the claims.

Just what I use ....not trying to change anybody's mind.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 10:22pm
Roc - Next time you walk by your trailer check out the first 2 digits of the DOT. Is it CY?

It looks like only the USA Trail is made in the USA, all the other Carlisle "Trail" tires are Chinese.
I suspect yours are Nylon Ply Bias tires and should perform quite well if you keep your speeds below the "standing wave".

I'm hoping we can keep our thread specific to trailers used to haul Jeeps. Most of the posts about trailer tires I see online talk about "bad batches" and folklore like that. The evals are mostly biased by owners of travel trailers that were manufactured with a tire size (load capacity) that was marginal when the manufacturer installed them. (before you added luggage, spares, groceries, more luggage, sporting goods, beer, spare gas etc.)

I do see some that were only overloaded due to a lack of adequate inflation pressure caused by a bad valve stem (or not proper high pressure stem) or a fatigue crack in a wheel that leaks.

Edited by Joe Friday - 18 June 2017 at 11:24pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 4:21am
Will check the letters tomorrow.

These are the tires on the trailer that I haul the Jeep on as the title of the thread stated.

The discussions I was referencing were a thread here sometime in the last year I believe. Best I remember a couple of people were talking about not getting adequate tread life out of their Carlisle's to suit them.

They are bias plies....I don't haul on radials...just a personal preference.

Also have no idea whether my speeds are below the "standing wave" or not.

Edited by rocnroll - 19 June 2017 at 4:26am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 5:38am
Joe perhaps we could add my thread from last year on this topic (if it can be found) you provided great info there!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 5:39am
Right.

I've seen your trailer. I like the Jeep hubcaps. I only mentioned the travel trailer bit because I tried to do some research on other sites and it was a waste of time due to the travel trailer blogs.

Bias ply typically sways less and is less harsh. You'd know if you hit the standing wave. google it.
Your tires would fall apart in minutes.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL8zEWXsggo
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 2:37pm
Yikes!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 3:17pm
The standing wave is exaggerated on Bias tires, and on the double deflection of the dyno roller, but it is the same mechanism.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 5:33pm
The easiest one to read here in the rain is (maybe) ACD3014.

Is that a good number or am I not looking right?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 6:59pm
Keith I've excerpted your discussion from the other post that prompted this thread. I thought it would be good to have all the discussion in one place. Plus it helps the continuity of my question.

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

...Almost all ST radial trailer tires are not speed rated, so they are not designed or manufactured to be run above 55 mph. If you happen to be running ST225/75R16 Load Range D, the max inflation on the sidewall is 65 PSI. The Tire and Rim Association allows/recommends that if you run between 55-65 mph, that you add an additional 10 PSI, (yes, 75 PSI COLD). If you travel at 65-75 mph, they recommend keeping the extra 10 PSI, but reducing the load by 10%. So move some of those heavy spare parts to the tow vehicle. Higher speed means hotter tires, and tires don't like heat. The pavement temperature in San Angelo where I was working this week was 140 .

Almost all trailer tires experiencing rapid/instant air loss on the highway is due to overload or underinflation. (If your trailer was in storage and you found it with a flat tire do not just repair it, it was likely damaged internally from sitting there flat.)

If you are running regular P-Metric tires on a trailer, remember they are de-rated by 10% when using them on trailers, so be sure you are not overloaded. (need more inflation).

Bias Trailer tires are not designed to be run over 55...

In the long run, if you are considering new trailer tires, check out the new Goodyear Endurance. It's the only line made in America, and speed rated at 87mph. It's all Jayco and Airstream are installling these days. I've had good luck with them so far.

(the Goodyear Marathons were mostly made by Triangle in China)

When you say the P metric tires are de-rated 10% when used in a trailer application, do you mean the weight or speed rating or both?

These are the tires I have on my 18' utility trailer that I am converting to a toy hauler/camper. I am increasing the weight of the trailer by about 1,000 lbs. Completely loaded I'm estimating that the total weight will be ~5,000 lbs. I have run this trailer loaded to about that weight in the past with these same tires. I normally run 75 mph for long stretches and have never had any tires problems. I usually run them about 40-45 psi cold. I have been thinking about putting regular car tires on the trailer, but would appreciate your advice. I plan to continue driving at posted speed limits when/if possible (i.e. 75 mph).

The one Tow Master is currently a spare that I will be replacing soon.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 7:49pm

Q -When you say the P metric tires are de-rated 10% when used in a trailer application, do you mean the weight or speed rating or both?

Rick

A- load carrying capacity.

Your first and 2nd picture are an ST205/75R15 107/102 L. (equiv to load range D, needs 65 PSI)
This is a steel belted radial trailer tire with a 2 ply Polyester Carcass.
Load index of 107 is rated at 2149# per tire when 1 tire is installed on each end of an axle.
Load index of 102 is rated at 1874# per tire when dual tires are installed on each end of an axle.
The "L" speed rating is 75 MPH (the new Endurance is rated at "N" = 87 MPH)

Your second picture is an F78-15ST which is a diagonal or bias ply tire equivalent to a 175D15.
If it is Load range B it s rated at 1390# at 35 PSI, if it is a C load range it is rated at 1710# at 50 PSI.
This is a nylon carcass tire. The type of belts should be stamped on the sidewall.

Your third picture is an ST205/75R15 Goodyear Marathon (load range C) which is rated at 1820# at 50 PSI. The "C" has been discontinued, and it is only available as a "D" load range, 2150# at 65 PSI.

IF you installed a P205/75R15 passenger car tire, (load range B) it is rated at 1598 # at 35 PSI for use on a car or 1452# at 35 PSI on a trailer after it is de-rated.

If you have room in the fender well, I would upgrade to an ST225/75R15 Load Range D or E.
The D is rated at 2540# at 65 PSI. I've 'heard' that some Sam's Clubs may offer this Marathon on closeout for as low as $54 each.

The Endurance is only made in the E, which is rated at 2830# at 80 PSI, N speed rated for 87 MPH.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 7:51pm
Roc - Wrong number.

As an example, the Sport Trail starts with DOT AQ________.

This is 

CARLISLE TIRE & WHEEL CO. LTD.

MEIXIAN, GUANGDONG

CHINA

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 8:09pm
DOT P4HH ACD3014

Mine have been driven over 55mph all just lucky I guess.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 8:19pm
My neighbor was towing his 26' boat to Lake Powell. He blew out a tire on the trailer in the middle of Glenwood Canyon. Pulled in close to the guard rail to change it, he had to beat the fender back in shape to fit the spare. Pulled into a M&O in Grand Junction and the service guy met him 1/2 way to the shop. "Carlisles we see a lot of them blown out around here"?
His recommendation was Tow Master or Marathon.
uncamonkey
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 10:10pm
Roc- P4 is the Carlisle plant in Jackson TN. Your tires were made the 30th week of 2014.

Unk - until about 8 years ago the Greenball Towmaster and Marathon were the same tire. Not anymore.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Roc- P4 is the Carlisle plant in Jackson TN. Your tires were made the 30th week of 2014.

Thanks......that makes perfect sense...Jackson is about 2hrs away. Must have got them fresh out of the mold.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 4:30pm
Joe Friday, you have commented on tires but haven't said anything about wheels. What is your opinion or experience with arcwheels DOT T TMXM 5JX15, 8 spoke, 5 on 5.5, made in China wheels? I work at the Jackson TN Carlstar (Carlisle brand tires) plant and can get USA Trail tires made here. I would like to put these tires on US made rims but haven't found any in the size I need. 
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 6:59pm
Are you referring to Arc Brand? or Vision Wheel Arc series?

I didn't find info on either one that makes it look like a wheel for trailer application.

Do  you have a part number?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>