Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear axle key

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear axle key
    Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 4:47pm
Has anyone had trouble reinstalling the rear axle keys on Dana 44's?  I was able to push the hubs on by hand (although the passenger side hub is approximately 1/4" from being fully seated).  No problem rotating the hubs to align the key way.  Both keys are in correct orientation.  The keys seemed too tight right away.  Was only able to drive the keys to within about 3/8" of being flush with end of axle shaft. Even using a brass hammer the tips of the keys were getting badly mushroomed to the point the tip of the key would never pass the shaft thread nor hub key way.  I've filed the keys back to square but I've stopped there.

FYI:  Both original keys are in good shape - no fretting, etc. Both axle shafts are new from Walck's. I found both axle shafts were 1/8" too long and had the shafts machined down to proper length (both sides shimmed out just fine in the end).  The driver side hub is also new, also from Walck's.

No, I did not check the key fit to the new shafts nor the new hub before beginning to install the keys.

Any ideas would be helpful!

Kevin
'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 6:09pm
Go back and check the hubs and keyways for fit, rather than driving the parts in. It may be an Omix problem.
BOULDER 48 2A
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 6:19pm
Terry,  Please define "Omix".  

Thanks,

Kevin
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 6:49pm
The manufacturer is Omix. 
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 9:40pm
Rant on/

When you found out that the axles needed re-machined, that was the first clue that something was wrong. At that point you should have gotten with your supplier, Walck's, to get the proper axles. Now when you find that the taper on your new axles is incorrect, you get to explain to Walck's why you re-machined the axles, you will probably will be told that by doing this machine work, you voided the warranty. Then you will get to re-re-machine the axles to get the taper right. I would be concerned that the axles are not made of the correct steel, & they will fail very soon. I hope that I am wrong about that.

In many folks experience, Omix-Ada manufactured parts are junk. Or at least of very poor quality. As you have experienced, their parts quite often need to be reworked to make them fit. If everyone would just send their crap back to them for replacement, then maybe they would have some incentive to "Make them right the first time" as it is, many folks just sigh & rework the junk to fit. Doing this gives Omix-Ada the impression that the parts that they sold these folks were of good quality. The parts are not of good, or even fair quality & Omix-Ada should learn/know that. I am of the impression that they do know this & just do not care. Again, I hope that I am wrong about that.

I also blame suppliers like Walck's for selling this stuff after all the complaints they get about these junk parts, but they give me the impression that they do not care about their reputation. Oh, Walck's usually stands behind the junk & at least gets you your money back, but you are out both the time and labor to inspect the junk parts & then to ship them back to suppliers like Walck's. I do not consider that good customer service. Good service would be to inspect the remaining parts on their shelves & take care of the issue before it becomes the customer's issue. That does not seem to be happening.

/ Rant off.

ICYMI, I am not a big fan of Omix-Ada. I have yet to use any of their junk. If they are the only source for a part, I either find a work-around, repair the original parts, make my own parts, or hire someone else to make the parts for me. While this is a PITA, I do not worry about the quality of my parts.

Good luck, Cpt Logger.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 10:28pm
Point taken on new parts being out of spec and I don’t disagree. I’m okay with having had the shafts shortened a bit but moving on ...

What I have is two axle shafts with key ways 0.025” too narrow, and one hub with a key way 0.010” too narrow. 

Parts being out of spec aside, let’s talk tech for a moment. The question is, would you run an axle shaft key that was 0.200” wide versus a key that was 0.250” wide? Suffice it to say I understand torque and twist and the role the key plays. 

Anyone ever seen a spindle twisted or cracked within the length of the key way?
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 10:54pm
If both axle shaft keyways are too narrow, why not just have them recut to the proper size? 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by kchildress kchildress wrote:

Point taken on new parts being out of spec and I don’t disagree. I’m okay with having had the shafts shortened a bit but moving on ...

What I have is two axle shafts with key ways 0.025” too narrow, and one hub with a key way 0.010” too narrow. 

Parts being out of spec aside, let’s talk tech for a moment. The question is, would you run an axle shaft key that was 0.200” wide versus a key that was 0.250” wide? Suffice it to say I understand torque and twist and the role the key plays. 

Anyone ever seen a spindle twisted or cracked within the length of the key way?

Bolding & underlining mine.

Not on a CJ, but yes I have seen one on a one ton 4X4 Wrecker. I do not recall whether it was a Ford, Dodge, or an International Harvester. We had all three makes.

I might try a key that was .225 or .222. As I understand it, the key is just for locating the hub on the axle. Once the axle nut is torqued up, it does not carry any load to speak of, the taper does. Unless that nut comes loose, you should not have a problem.

The cause of the afore mentioned crack on the wrecker's hub was a loose axle nut.

My concern is that the Omix axles are soft, or brittle. Again, I hope not. Another concern is that the taper on the axles may not match the taper on the hubs.

Are the hubs also Omix? I am just curious.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2019 at 12:55pm
ndnchf,  I certainly would have had the keyways machined earlier had I found the problem before putting it all back together.  And that's not off the table right now.

cpt logger,  I don't know if the new hub is Omix or not.  I see no markings of any kind.

I didn't get too excited when I first found the axle shafts were 1/8" too long. I figured there's no telling where in hell this stuff comes from anyway. This is my first 2A - only had it for a few months - so I barely know one supplier from another.  Any suggestions about your go-to parts suppliers would be appreciated. 

Now that I've slept on it I'm kind of pissed off.  With everything assembled I was thinking the easiest way out was to have the keys' width cut by 0.025" to fit the shaft keyways.  But that #h!t won't work 'cause I'll still have two hubs that don't match a key that's 0.225" wide!  

On one hand I'm inclined to shove the out-of-spec shafts and hub up someone's arse but on the other hand I want to roll soon and I still can't guarantee I'll get "new parts" that are in spec.  What would you guys do with this?

Both keys are original 0.250" wide.  I have one original hub with a ~0.252" keyway.  I have one new hub with a 0.240" keyway and two axle shafts with keyways at 0.225" wide.  I don't see any option but to take everything apart again which is what really frustrates me.  So, I can have both shaft keyways and one hub keyway opened up to 0.250" or I can start returning/exchanging a bunch of parts and still not being certain what I'll get.  Fortunately the lead man at my machine shop has a collection of GPW's so he's in tune with what I'm dealing with. 

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2019 at 2:26pm
Sorry to see you in this mess. Buying these kinds of repro parts is a real crapshoot. Perhaps look on ebay for good original hubs and axles and put a wanted ad here on the forum. D44s are pretty common. Maybe you can find another complete axle assembly locally. I'm just starting to tear down a D44 I got locally for next to nothing. Either way, I think you will have to pull those axle shafts.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2019 at 5:10pm
If everything fits right other than the keys you could have the keys machined to fit the key ways. I did something like that for my crankshaft key-way  that was deformed from a loose pulley. I cleaned it up using a dremel and a cut off wheel and made a stepped key to match.
 Don't you just love it when you buy something and have to remake it to fitAngry.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2019 at 5:24pm
  Have you seen this?  

Maybe not quite the same problem, but then again, maybe......   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 1:24pm
Short update:  I took the axle shafts and hub back to the machine shop yesterday.  They didn't have the warm-and-fuzzies about holding the axle taper straight for machining.  No machining. 

I've talked to Walck's about all this from the start. They're being pretty good about it - sending me two good used axle shafts and hub.  Also supplying me with two new axle bearings and five new wheel studs (which I had also replaced new).  
 Post Reply Post Reply