Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear brake line routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear brake line routing
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:10am
Just got new pre made brake lines and the rear drivers side is bent differently than the one currently on the jeep.  Is the new one correct?  It seems to clear everything OK just in a different direction.  Anyone have a picture of the original routing?  Thanks

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:52am
That new line does not look right. the old line looks correct. reason for the line to run on the back side of the axel is incase you run over tall grass, sticks, trees, small rock and large ROCKS, that you don't crush the lines or pull them when snagged. I bought the lines and fittings and bent the line to match the old ones, cost about $20.00 but I had a bender. the benders are cheep. just make sure you put the fitting on first before hand or you'll start over. the flairing tool- I just rent from the auto parts store. The one I had from Harbor Freight is junk. do not buy it.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 3:17am
I agree.  It looks wrong, but I don't think I'd worry about it.   Where did you get it?  This is the pre made line set from Walcks.  

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 3:31pm
Do you have it flipped end for end?
BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 6:47pm
Let me guess - Kaiser-Willys? Omix-ADA?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 7:34pm
The line in the picture is an Omix-ADA part.  The white insulator is a dead giveaway.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 7:50pm
My brake lines HAVE to be on the back side of the axle housing - I use axle straps around the tubes to tie down in my trailer.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 8:26pm
Tried flipping it but then nothing lines up.  Contacted supplier and we will see how they handle it.  All the others were pretty good.  Thanks for the pics and advice.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 3:08am
  Just an update.  Supplier gave me a credit for the one line, I thought it was fair.  I am not very good at bending my own lines so I tried Rock Auto.  There's were also Omix Ada but they fit the way the originals did.  Not sure what happened, error on supplier, vendor, or shipping.  But back together now.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply