Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear seat pegs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear seat pegs
    Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 3:00am
As far as I know, the rear seat pegs, or spears, that hold the rear seat legs into the floor clips are not available from any vendor. Nobody makes them. If you need them your options are to source a scrap rear seat and cut them off, or make your own by grinding down a chunk of suitably think metal.

Finding a scrap rear seat just to cut the rear pegs/spears off? I've tried this route, and it not as easy as it sounds. Maybe just because parts in general are hard to source from another country.... Maybe because there are not that many scrap rear seats floating around with good pegs on them waiting to be cut off. IDK.

Making your own from a chunk of metal? Also not that easy. You need to have the right size chunk to start with, then spend a while grinding the correct shape.

I set off on a mission to make my own.... or get my own made, to be more accurate.

I found this picture on a thread on the page (I think Sean Collins), which gives overall shape and dimensions.

I then re-created the drawing in CAD, and sent it to a friend of mine who created the part on a 3D plastic printer. I now had a plastic part that I could hold and look at and test fit in the seat clips.
It was a good fit and the clips hold the peg really firmly. Without the seat as leverage I couldn't remove the pegs from the clips without using a screwdriver for leverage!

However it was still only a plastic prototype.

I then contacted a local waterjet cutting company and persuaded them to take on my tiny test job. The technology is amazing - they use a tiny jet of water at extreme pressure to literally cut through metal. I sent them my CAD drawing and this is the result. Black plastic prototype on the left and mild steel peg on the right:

All I need now is to weld the right size washer onto the base (top?) of the peg and I should have a reproduction part that I can use to repair my existing rear seat!

Pretty pleased with how these have turned out so far.

Mike

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
RSR_MK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 6:34am
Nicely done Mike,

I would suggest having them make the base, “washer “ also with a slot cut out to hold the spearhead. Make it long enough to weld up on the backside. 

Just a thought. 

Mike
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 7:13am
Hey Mike,

My plan on that score is to use a regular fender washer (which I still need to find). 5/8" ID looks like it might have the right OD, and the ID fits wholly within the footprint of the base. Then I will just weld up the ID of the washer to the base of the spear.

If I can find it locally it will be a matter of a few cents. If I have to have a washer custom made it will get pretty pricey pretty quick!
RSR_MK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 8:32am
Understand, I was just kinda thinking out loud with my fingers. 

What you have planned will work well and be less costly. 

Nice job, original rear seats are hard to come by. Nice to be able to save one. 

Mike
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 3:16pm
How much would it cost to have them cast as a complete unit? If it wasn't to much or enough demand for quantity to bring the price down that might be a better way to go.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 1:29am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

How much would it cost to have them cast as a complete unit? 

Hey Jim,

To answer your question, I don't know. I haven't looked into that. Casting them would be cool though and most authentic, seeing as the originals were cast. 

Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

If it wasn't to much or enough demand for quantity to bring the price down that might be a better way to go.

I haven't thought about making these for others, but it's an interesting thought. The best method of making these would be determined by how much demand there is. On this, I have no idea.

Is there a demand for these parts, well made and accurately reproduced?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic