Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear tire carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear tire carrier
    Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 4:58pm
I decided to rear mount my 2a spare tire. I modeled it after my m38. reinforced the tailgate the same as a m38 and instead of spending well over a $100, I bought $25 worth of supplies and made my own carrier.
Aaron
M38, CJ2A (lefty)185785, Overland Pickup
Project Thread:
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/48-project_topic40731.html
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 8:22pm
Great idea! 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Kinjelo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinjelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:03am
I'm interested in rear mounting my spare as well- my tailgate is usually bolted closed anyway.  Any issues with stresses on the tailgate?  I'm going to be doing easy to moderate off road, so will be bouncing around.  I don't want to cause issues down the road.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:43am
look at "modification from original" forum under "Spare & Jerry can rack" to see another option that also works well
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:17pm
My dad moved the spare and a Jeep can mount to the tailgate using a M38 style mount. He had some channel on the inside to reinforce. And it was that way for nearly 15 years of daily driving and LOTS of off road stuff. When I restored the tail gate it had a slight bow to the top tube but the areas around the mounting holes was in pretty good shape. Not sure if the bow had anything to do with the weight or could have been there from as far back as the guy dad bought CHUG from.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Kinjelo Kinjelo wrote:

I'm interested in rear mounting my spare as well- my tailgate is usually bolted closed anyway.

The easiest way to do that is to find an M-38 tailgate.  Next easiest is to reinforce your existing tailgate in the same way as the M-38.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:39am
Originally posted by aforests aforests wrote:

I modeled it after my m38. reinforced the tailgate the same as a m38 ]
      For those of us not familiar with the M38, where or how is the tailgate reinforced? Thanks Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:41am
Somewhere there is a series of pics comparing the various tailgates, but naturally I can't find it.  The M-38 tailgate has two small right-angle pieces running vertically down through the inside of the gate, where they provide support for the gas can carrier.  There are two hat channel pieces running vertically through the area where the spare tire mount bolts on.  Both reinforcements cover the full height of the gate, so nothing is supported by just flat sheet metal. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply