Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilt engine locked up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 6:08pm
I polished mine with jewelers rouge on a length of latigo.  There's a video on You tube where a guy uses wet/dry paper backed up with a flat shoe lace.  If it was me i would knock down anything that was high starting with a very fine file being careful to stay off any good surface.  the file would be used just to get rid of the worst of it.  Then work down to 2000 grit.  Then go to polishing.  If you can go through all this and end up with a decent surface that is within spec.  then yea the crank will work.  Putting a mic on the journals will tell you.  in the end if you don't think it will work you can still have it ground to to 40 under.  
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 5:16am
I like Mike's answer.
I have to wonder if the uneven wear is from the shims causing uneven clearance or if the caps and block need to be bored to get them straight.
I am guessing shims.
Also, check the rods bearings.
Even if they were all right, they probably got some debris from the mains.
1946 CJ2A 14098
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 6:20am
Saddle bore alignment can be checked bytorquing down main caps and check with a precision straight edge using a .0015 feeler gauge. I'd go ahead and clean the oil passages on the block to be safe. 

FWIW my F134 had rubber seals and the crankshaft didn't have any abnormal wear problems. 
CJ3B
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:02am
   One side of the front main bearing looks to be torn up (the side with the oil feed hole) while the other side looks pretty decent. Can't tell about the rear, but it kinda looks to be bad on one side as well. Is it bad on the oil hole side too? I wonder if there wasn't some trash in the oil galleries that didn't get cleaned out, and the oil washed it into the bearings. The rear main seal doesn't appear to be melted/ burned, and the crank in that area doesn't appear to be blue.  BW

Edited by Bruce W - 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:05am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12