Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remembering Iwo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remembering Iwo.
    Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 2:40pm
The battle of Iwo Jima began on 18 February and continued until 26 March in 1945 and became one of the major battles of the war.
Tow Mater
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 3:25pm
As a kid in school I was fascinated and amazed by the amphibious warfare that our troops, mostly Marines, carried out in the Pacific theater.  How does one charge a beach with machine guns and HE  going off all around, with only a steel pot on your head to protect you and not just turn to jello? Thank heavens for the courage of those young ordinary but extraordinary young men that saved us all. 

I wonder how many jeeps actually made it through that black sand. The NDT's on my rig sink to the frame in no time at all in the red sands of Utah.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 4:11pm
The volcanic sand made the beach landing on Iwo Jima for tracked and wheel vehicle a real challenge. Fortunately, that landing was not heavily apposed like other smaller islands.  The Japanese lay in wait with massive ambushes near the two airfields, a huge tank ready reserve and brutal fortifications inland that made taking the island extremely difficult.   To many losses.

Note:  The jeep in the picture has tire chains, no windshield, and amphibious raised breather / exhaust.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 12:07am
I have a vial of Iwo Jima Sand that was given to me. Even that small sample gives an idea of how tough that beach was.

Uncle was wounded on Feb 21. PH award letter on my wall.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 1:04am
My mother lost a first cousin there, platoon runner, USMC.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 10:08pm
An absolute must read;   "With the Old Breed" by E.B Sledge  

a soldiers account of his battles 

At Peleliu and Okinawa  

inspired the movie series called The Pacific by HBO

GOD BLESS THEM ALL

Edited by jeeper50 - 19 Mar. 2017 at 10:15pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 12:58am
That Jeep probably had an amphibious kit put on it by the looks of that exhaust.  This includes the breather/exhaust and asbestous putty on anything electrical that will allow the vehicle to run in shallow water for about six minuets or so.  They have some really neat youtube videos of Jeep propaganda.  Another good few books are "All The Gallant Men" by Donald Stratton with Ken Gire, and "A Higher Call"
1947 Willys CJ-2A
OldJeepBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 2:09am
@Jeeper50: the singular book about island hopping marines in the Pacific.  Coincidentally, I looked on the bookshelf in our rental at St. Simons this week, and there nestled among the James Patterson, John Sanford novels, was "Sledge Hammer"!
We gotta get together.
OldJeepBob
REPS
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:19am
If you're into Pacific theatre history, check out The Thousand-Mile War, by Brian Garfield. It details the battle of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska when the Japanese tried to invade.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 1:35am
Thanks, I will pick it up!  I am about 20% of the way through Ian Toll's "The Conquering Tide".
REPS
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 4:10am
To all,

I have been fortunate since I retired 16 years ago. I was able to purchase a 1943 Ford GPW that was originally an USMC ambulance jeep. It took 6 years to restore the jeep, of which 4 1/2 was doing research on the ambulance configuration of the jeep. I was lucky enough to uncover the original USMC registration number and the TAC mark for the units to which is was assigned - B company, 5 th medical battalion, 27 th Marines, 5 th Marine Division, V th Amb. Corps - Iwo Jima
The story of the research and photos of the restoration was published in an article in the MVPA publication Army Motors. The jeep received an award at the 2008 MVPA convention in Portland, Oregon, was inducted into the MVPA Hall of Fame in 2013. The jeep was also displayed at several Rod and Custom Shows, and was awarded one of five trophies at one of the shows. The jeep has been used to support the Young Marines, Iwo Jima veterans in Veteran's Day Parades and Memorial Day displays.

I have also have been fortunate to have been invited to numerous Iwo Jima Survivor's Association and meet many of the Iwo Jima veterans. Of the fifty or so I have met, only two are currently living. Both of these Marines, still participate in the Veteran's Day Parades.

The jeep currently resides at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, Quantico, VA. 

Semper Fi,
Frank
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:55am

I know it wasn't Iwo, but I haven't found one for Iwo yet.

Edited by LesBerg - 16 July 2017 at 9:59am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:30pm
To all,

Some more reading material about Iwo Jima:

God Isn't Here - Richard Overton - Navy Corpsman Story
Surgeon on Iwo - James S. Vedder - Navy Surgeon Story
The Last Lieutenant - John C. Shively- Grunt Story
Iwo Jima - Larry Smith- A host of contributors
The Lions Of Iwo Jima - Major General Fred Haynes (USMC - Ret) and James Warren - Combat Team 28 story
Voices of the Pacific - Adam Makos- A variety of stories from veterans on Iwo Jima. One of which is my very good friend and Iwo Jima survivor-Sgt. Clinton Watters who is one of the two Iwo Survivors I know that is still alive.

There are many other books of course, this is just a short list of the one I have read.

Frank
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:03pm
The 5th Marine Division produced 3 pictorial publications (something like high school year books, a good analogy on intent and purpose also). Each about 32 pages. The Marines were very good at promotion. First was on Boot Camp, 2nd on Iwo, 3rd on Occupation.

I helped the 5th Marine Association reproduce these and sell these. I have scanned copies (pdf about 7mb) of these publications if any one is interested or they can be purchased with a donation to the 5th Association. At least I think so but not mentioned in the newsletter lately.

Edited by willys54wagon - 16 July 2017 at 3:33pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 5:43pm
And to the list of "must reads" add James Hornfischer's "The Fleet At Flood Tide", describing the end-game in the Pacific in much the same way Rick Adkinson's marvelous trilogy did for the war in Europe.  He describes in riveting detail, at the marine's and sailor's level, the campaign for the Marianas, and for Iwo, and for the Carolines, setting the table for the total war that brought the Empire down.
OldJeepBob
REPS
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:14pm
What can I add? I have an uncle buried there. I looked it up so I know where and when where he died. I still have his dress uniform.
uncamonkey
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:25am
I had the privilege of visiting last fall. It was an awesome feeling walking the beach...a sacred place.

Dave
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 3:11am
You have to put in a request to go there, don't you?  Not everybody gets to visit Iwo, from what I've read.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>