Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove the transmission/tc or not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove the transmission/tc or not
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:33pm
I am probably about a month from completing the engine rebuild. I've been thinking (I know, I know, "stop it")

Should I remove the tranny too? Nothing wrong with it but it would allow me to replace the seals, and installing the clutch would probably be easier this way...

Can paint it too while it's out :)

What do you guys think?
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:54pm
Yes. No brainer. Ask yourself the question....when will I ever get another chance to do these big things when its so simple now? The T90 is a leaker, the TC is a leaker... now would be the time to really look things over.......you don't have to rebuild anything unless you need to or want to. You mentioned seals so maybe leaking is an issue. Read up on T90 and TC issues and their fixes. It will never be easier than it is now. DO IT!
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Yes. No brainer.

Pretty much the answer I was hoping for Big smile

Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

You mentioned seals so maybe leaking is an issue.

Well, those seals are at least 40 years old (the jeep last ran in the 1970s). 

Thanks!!!

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:32pm
Oh, definitely! It will NEVER be easier to replace the front seal in the transmission. The front and rear transfer case seals can be replaced without much effort about anytime, but the front tranny seal can't.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:16pm
I agree - do it now, but....  after you replace all the seals, it may STILL be a leaker. 
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:46am
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

I agree - do it now, but....  after you replace all the seals, it may STILL be a leaker. 

Oh, why??
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:51am
Originally posted by konstan konstan wrote:

Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Oh, why??

If you find the answer to that you are a better man than me.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:04pm
All mine leak no matter what. If you glued them together with a epoxy sealant like Yamabond, it might help, but if you want to take them apart, good luck. I always wondered just how well the vent up top relieved internal pressure while at road speed. It seems the spinning internals are what eventually overcome the seals and gaskets due to heat and internal pressure. The transfercase "worms" oil up into the transmission. In the  T84 early WW2 types, they didn't have drain back holes at the fillerplug level. Hence they would fill up and then leak along the input shaft and out the small hole in the bellhousing. The T90 came with these holes later. Huge help. Then there is the top shifter on a t 90. It leaks too! LOL They don't call me Oilleaker for nothing.  I love the English statement about satisfactory oil pressure readings in a MGTD. Right in their official manual. As long as the engine has "any appreciable amount" you are good. So, as long as your Jeep doesn't leak "any appreciable amount" you are good. Just keep an eye on your oil levels before taking a long trip. A quarter size spot is normal.  A 6 inch pool everytime you stop-------NOT! 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:40pm
Konstan, as you can see by the posts, these things LEAK.  By design, they just do.  So.... IF your only reason to take something apart is because it leaks, you may not get the result you want.  Furthermore, if you want to replace something "just because" or "well, I'mthere" ok, but again, by their nature, these things ALWAYS can stand to have SOMETHING rebuilt or replaced.  So... again, you don't have to be like my wife"well, if we change the carpet we HAVE to change the drapes, and if we change the drapes we HAVE to change....."  You can see it can be a never ending issue on these jeeps.
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 6:38pm
No the reason isn't to fix any leaks. I don't even know if it leaks or not. But it has sat for 50 years so I just thought I'd put new seals because I am sure the old ones are really hard. Plus I want to clean it up. And I recon mating the engine and clutch to it will be easier out of the jeep?
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:50pm
OH... that's different.  If I had a jeep that had sat for 50+ years, yeah, I'd assume everything is bad and take everything apart and check it and replace just about everything. Rebuild the Trans (about $250-300) rebuild the T/C (a roughly the same).   I rebuilt both, but didn't use the gaskets, but rather Permatex (the right stuff) gasket maker.  No leaks from the seals I did, but of course, it STILL leaks from where ever I didn't do the seal.
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 5:48pm
Well, I am now into the full frame-off restoration :)

Check this out

The only thing left on the frame is the steering

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 4:02am

In the  T84 early WW2 types, they didn't have drain back holes at the fillerplug level. Hence they would fill up and then leak along the input shaft and out the small hole in the bellhousing. The T90 came with these holes later.

When did they switch to the T90?  Have an early CJ2a - it leaks as described.  Would a modern sealed bearing help?

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 5:56pm
All production CJ-2A's had the T-90 transmission. A sealed bearing might help if it is installed correctly. Make sure that all collector holes are sealed off.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 4:20pm
Started wire wheeling the frame last night. Made one pass over most of it.

Going to need something smaller than a 4 inch angel grinder to get into the smaller spots... But something larger than a dremel...

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 6:19pm
Konstan,

Try a flap wheel on your 4" grinder to finish up the surfaces.  As always be careful when using power tools.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 4:24am
I am in a picture posting mood tonight, so, here is the frame, all nice and painted

here is a close-up

konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 4:25am
Just got the rear axle housing all disassembled and painted too

Post Reply Post Reply