Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 1946 CJ2A 62312

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring 1946 CJ2A 62312
    Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 9:06pm
    Yesterday I returned home from a trip to Prescott, AZ to purchase and pickup a 1946 CJ2A.  This CJ2A has been sitting out in the elements for the past several years after a stalled restoration project.  There was an extensive attempt to restore this jeep between 2010-2012 and some good progress was made on the frame, front and rear axles, transmission, and transfer case.  In addition, there were a lot of spare parts purchased, unfortunately many of them have been damaged due to the weather.  The previous owner was great to work with and so was the owner of the auto shop where the jeep was stored. 

Based on the fact this jeep was in parts and the tub was not secured to the frame, I decided to rent a U-Haul box van and the car carrier to bring the jeep back to Colorado.  I took a flight down to Phoenix, taxied over to the closest U-Haul, and drove to Prescott.  The owner of the auto shop and his team helped me load the parts into the back of the van and the jeep onto the trailer - I'm very appreciative of their help.  I then drove to Albuquerque, NM and stayed the night at a hotel.  Next morning I drove back to Aurora, Colorado.  The trip was 1009 miles total with many stops to check the load on the trailer. 

I plan on using this thread to document the restoration and I will likely need to ask some questions over the course of this project.  As for the major portions of the project, the body needs a lot of work - some replacement panels were already purchased by the PO but they are pretty rusted.  The engine had some work done to it - new seals etc, but it's not in running condition - it does turn.  The fuel pump, carb, and oil dip stick assembly all need to be installed.  The steering was rebuilt but it also need to be installed.  The brakes are almost complete - upgraded to 11" - but I need to get a master cylinder and finish connecting the lines.  Lastly, I'm still taking inventory of what parts I have and what might be usable in this restoration. 

There is too many items to list, but I will post some additional photos of the condition of the jeep in the coming days.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 9:07pm
Here is one additional photo of the CJ2A after I unloaded it and rolled it into my garage.

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 10:21pm
Nice looking jeep David.Seems to be worth the drive.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2017 at 4:50am
and then THAT happened... nice!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2017 at 4:52am
Looks like a great start for you.
Look forward to following your restoration.
Take lots of pictures for us
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2017 at 8:14pm
I was away on business the last week so I did not make progress on my project.  Today I thought I would post a few pictures of the engine and ask a couple of questions.  Of note, I did receive copies of most of the receipts for this jeep but there are a few key items that I still need to research.  Based on the receipts, there was a new engine gasket overhaul kit was purchased and installed.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2017 at 8:22pm
My question and research now surrounds the progress that was made on the electrical system.  I have a complete wiring harness new, not installed.  The distributor is a solid state 12V from Kaiser Willys.  The voltage regulator is new in a box, also 12V and the ignition coil is new in the box - also 12V.  It appears the there is a new / rebuilt generator installed vs. a 12v alternator conversion.  I don't have the receipt for the generator so I don't know if it's 6v or 12v. Is there any way to test the generator to determine the voltage?  I also need to purchase a fuel pump as all the fuel pumps included in this purchase are trash.

Edited by dluber - 04 Feb. 2017 at 8:24pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2017 at 8:27pm
Here is a photo of the fuel pumps that I got with the jeep. I think 2 of them belong to some other vehicle. 

Edited by dluber - 04 Feb. 2017 at 9:34pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 1:49am
I made some progress today working on the jeep.  Last night I dipped oil dip stick tube in rust remover.  It turned out great. This part was included in the sale but it was left out to rust.  I was able to clean it up, prime the outside and painted it black to match the engine. Below is a photo of the item after it was cleaned up.  The evapo-rust really works great.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 1:54am
I also removed the tub from the frame today to begin the process of cutting out all the rot so I can weld in a new tool box, passenger floor pan, and passenger floor brace.  Here are a few photos of the before and after shot of the work from today.  I have a lot more to do before I can start getting the new parts installed. The new tool box is in great shape, but the floor pan and floor brace have a fair amount of surface rust that needs to be removed. 

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 1:55am
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 1:56am
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 1:57am
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 2:02am
I still need to cut out the old tool box and I should be able to get to that over the next couple of days.  You can just see the top of the new-rusted floor pan at the bottom of the last photo. 

I also cleaned up the carb, installed an anti-freeze drain plug in the side of the engine, and dipped some other rusted parts for use later this week.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 2:37am
I got the carb installed tonight.  I also received some parts today - shocks, fuel pump, and master cylinder.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 2:06am
Some progress tonight.  I was able to install the oil filler tube and bracket that I painted a few days ago.  Hopefully I can get some more done tomorrow.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2017 at 1:49pm
Not much progress to post for yesterday. I thought I had everything I needed to install my new shocks, but the washers I purchased are the wrong size - new washers on the way now.  I was able to install the oil lines to the oil filter canister.  I also ordered some new brass elbow connectors for the fuel pump and the flexible oil line that goes to the oil pressure gauge.  One of the items I may try and dig into today is the front drivers side brake.  The PO had an 11" brake upgrade done on this jeep and all the brake like are connected except for the front drivers side and there is no master cylinder, but the lines are run.  Based on what I can tell, the flexible line on the passenger line is not installed correctly and the s-line on the drivers side will not seal correctly. I believe both front flexible lines are the standard lines for the 9" brakes and are too short for this install.  I would be open to any suggestions on the correct lines to purchase if anyone has done this before.  As for the driver side, I think I need to pull the wheel and drum to see what's going on with the brake cylinder connection.

On another note, I did receive a data plate order in from dataplates4u.com for my other '46.  They turned out great and I installed them last night.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 3:49am
I spent the last week or so getting some brake line / wheel cylinder issues resolved.

ref: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/topic39570_post377165.html#377165

Today I was able to install my new shocks and a few odds and ends.  I also picked up some new bolts to mount the new Master Cylinder.  I need to bench bleed the Master Cylinder and then I will start that install.  I am also planning to install the new fuel pump and fuel line to the carb over the next couple of days. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>