Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retubing Annabelle Lee, my Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retubing Annabelle Lee, my Jeep
    Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 4:43pm
The job is done. In April I decided to put a new dress on Annabelle. Her original dress was sinking down on the frame and wouldn't last much longer. I ordered a new complete tub kit from Walcks and my son and I drove there to pick it up. You would not believe all the stuff they have stashed outside and inside at their shop. If you need something call and ask about it. Not everything they have is listed on their site. I had a great visit with Carl and he is a great person.

After I got the tub painted we put it on the frame. This is not a total restoration. The frame was pressure washed and that is all. This is a retubing of Annabelle. I mounted the fenders and lined up the tub up as best I could so the top hats lined up with the frame mount holes. It was NOT a perfect fit but works. the fenders are not a perfect fit to the tub, grill and frame either but a lot of force made them fit.

The new tailgate worked fine. The holes for the shifter and four wheel lever was ok but the hole for the low/high had to be ground out at the top to get into low range. The after market fuel tank filler neck is to high in the hole on the tub and I had to modify hole and the grommet to make it work. The holes in the floor had to be enlarged for the fuel line and drain fitting. I had to put 1/2" spacers between the rear tranny crossmember and the frame to keep the tranny from rubbing the tub.

The new hood fit fine on the tub and grill. When I tried the new windshield frame on the tub it DIDN'T FIT THE CONTOUR OF THE TUB. The mounting arms were to wide for the cowl. Then I tried the old windshield frame on it and it fit just fine. The new windshield frame is trash and will be sold for scrap. If you buy a tub kit buy it WITHOUT THE WINDSHIELD FRAME. I cleaned and painted the old frame and used it. I had to bend the frame arms a little to line up with the hold down clamps on the dash. Everything there fits good now. 

The passenger seat mounts and seat fit ok on the tub. The drivers seat was to far to the left and I had to move it to the right so it is behind the steering wheel. 

No mater what JD Juan says a new CJ3A tub kit is NOT A DROP ON FIT, you will need to modify as needed to fit your frame. The new windshield frame is scrap so DO NOT BUY ONE.

I have a lot of photos but see no point in posting them. If you want any info post questions on this thread. I prefer questions on this thread so everyone can see them. I have not loaded any photos to photobucket and will do so only as needed. A photo is not as much help as words on this job because it will be different for each Jeep. This tub kit is dated 2017 so it is one of the newest tub kits.

Edited by Carlsjeep - 16 Aug. 2017 at 4:47pm
Life is only as good as you make it.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

the fenders are not a perfect fit to the tub, grill and frame either but a lot of force made them fit.

The holes for the shifter and four wheel lever was ok but the hole for the low/high had to be ground out at the top to get into low range. The after market fuel tank filler neck is to high in the hole on the tub and I had to modify hole and the grommet to make it work. The holes in the floor had to be enlarged for the fuel line and drain fitting.

I had these same issues with my MD Juan tub. They must have not corrected the issues from the 2015 design. I did get my windshield to fit after tweeking it some, it was mostly an issue with the width of the pivot arms which were too wide. The hold down clamps on the dash didn't line up with the one on the windshield, they were of by about a quarter inch. More tweeking fixed that by rearranging the pivot arms a little.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 7:44pm
Keep on a doing. I caught a lot of grief from my brother as I had spent weeks out there welding and bending parts to fit on my 3B. He wondered why I just didn't buy a new tub. "Nope, my Jeep". It was 100% mine when I got it done. I reminds me of when I was 11 and my mother hauled me up to pick out a Black Lab pup. We were greeted by 4 happy pups with happy Lab faces and waggely tails but I noticed another across the pen that had a broken front leg. Same happy pup and I got her over and that is the pup we took home.
I wrote this out to a lady friend and she informed me that I didn't own that dog, she owned me. I suppose it is possible to be owned by a Jeep as well.
uncamonkey
nmbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 8:36pm
The other alternative is to order one from a company in (I think) Ohio that puts the body on their frame and take care of all the corrections for you, but that adds a few grand to the price.
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1988 Mazda B2200
1947 CJ2a s/n 123737 - Soon to be in progress... for the last 6 years...
 Post Reply Post Reply