Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Engine Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews/Thoughts on this product

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews/Thoughts on this product
    Posted: 09 Mar. 2014 at 2:02am
Has anyone on the board purchased one of these complete engine overhaul kits from Kaiser Willys:

If so is there any concerns on the quality of parts they use or overall complaints on the kit? Seems to be a better deal when priced out against some of the other suppliers out there but I have seen some of the discussions on the board regarding parts and I don't want to be concerned about inferior parts given how much an engine rebuild will cost. 

Any advice/insight is appreciated

Thanks!
David "Frenchy" French

CJ2A "Speeder" #92440

CJ2A "Tabor" #120378
jay g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2014 at 3:45am
not to not answer your question but I saw an ad in military vehicles magazine that you could get a rebuilt l134 for 2100 with a block exchange I have spent way more than this on a l134 I threw all kinds of parts and machine work at it and still ended up with a knock I am not shure where it is coming from seems to me I would have rather have just spent the 2100 if I had known they were available
Jay g
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2014 at 2:40pm
MHO, I know nothing of the Kit, But you will most likely need machine work done on your block/head, I would price the kit through the engine shop, they may be able to beat this price, nothing against KW or any other vendor in the Willys world, but your neighbors need to eat as well, and you will need machine work anyway, give them a shot!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2014 at 3:04pm
I bought Kaiser Willys rebuild kit a few years ago. It was ok. Mostly typical overseas repop stuff. I had asked my machine shop guys for quotes and they couldn't come close. Have your machine work done first so that you can give the guys a KW your specs for bearings, pistons and such. If I remember correctly, the guys at KW were willing to add or subtract parts from the kit as needed for my build.
I do remember that the pistons and rods came from India and that the oiler holes in the rods were plugged up with whatever the corrosion preventative stuff they gooped them up with. I have over 2000 miles on my motor built with this kit.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply